Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for FtMs: When I Grow Up . . .

Question for FtMs: When I Grow Up . . .

Question for FtMs Only to Answer, Please (although all are welcome to read, learn about us and can even comment on):

Hey guys . . . here's another "getting to know you" question. As a child (and I realize some of us are further away from that age than others), what did you want to be when you grew up?

I asked the question, so I'll start:

I wanted to be a cowboy like Adam Cartwright on Bonanza (still do, actually). I also wanted to be a ship's captain (still do that too) or at least a sailor. And finally, baseball was the religion in my house growing up, so I wanted to someday be Manager of the NY Mets. Of course, I realized that I was born female, so I thought I could be the first female baseball manager (or even commissioner). Okay, that one I gave up on, but maybe someday I'll get to Mets Fantasy Camp and play a little anyway.

How about you guys?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Well when I was about 5 I wanted to be a fireman then a football player. When I turned 8 Something happened and then from then on I thought I would never reach adult hood. I figured I would be dead by then.
    But since I started to learn more about Cd'ing I started realizing I do have a future.

When I was really little I wanted to be a pediatrician. And that stuck with me for a long time. Afterwards I wanted to be a zoologist, then a kinesiologist. Somewhere in there I wanted to be an animator, a writer and various other things. I wanted to be an olympic figure skater for a bit. Yeah and now, I don't know what the shazz I want to be. Although Law is looking like an option.

hmm, I'm boring.
    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."

i always said i wanted to be a car sprayer since i was little and even in my school leavers book it said good luck to me and guess what i did my dream so im pleased

Quote Originally Posted by Lex
    Now I want to be a character designer, a comic book artist or an animator, and I'm studying animation in university now, so I'm on my way.
    Kudos. I tip my hat to anyone with the guts to leap into that field.
    It's somewhat unfortunate that you're not a woman by gender. Lord knows there are so few women comic book artists, and even less that got there by having the talent and vocation. Unless you happen to be in Japan, I think the field of shoujo manga is dominated by females. Hehe, little boys cry when I clue them into the fact that Rumiko Takahashi, creator/artist/writer of Inu Yasha and Ranma 1/2 is a women.

anyway I'm rambling.
    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Always wanted to be a musician. For awhile I actually wanted to BE Michael Jackson (okay, so I was like 5). But yeah, since the age of 3 I wanted to be a rock star.
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

I always wanted to go in the Army but I realised that having the wrong body would mean I have to wear f clothes, argh... so then I wanted to be a fireman, or an ice hockey player (never played), but now I just wanna be a carpenter, had training and I'd like to do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex
    Thanks Wren. You make it sound kinda scary when you say that I've got guts to be doing this.
    And yeah, I know what you mean about it being a shame I'm not female by gender. When I was coming to terms with being transgendered, that was a big issue for me. It was like, 'Yay I'm breaking female stereotypes! I'm taking leaps and bounds for women everywhere! ...Oh wait, ****, I'm a guy." About 30-40% of the people in my course/year are girls though, so that's good.
    That's actually an issue I also have about the whole gender/transgender thing with myself. Though, of course, mine's from the other side. I kinda feel like I should still try to be a guy just to fight the male reputation of being insensitive, breast-obsessed, etc. Meh.

Cool avatar pic, Ryan.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex
    Cool avatar pic, Ryan.
    i agree, good looking chap he is!! (btw ive met him too )

Cool avatar pic, Ryan.
    Ah thanks you two!

Queen of the Vegetomboys NightFox87's Avatar
    I wanted to be:
    -a cat(age 3)
    -a princess(ick...age 5)
    -an artist(age 7-now)
    -an actress(age 17)

Nothing traditionally masculine (I was a big girly girl at 5), and I'm currently studying to either be a filmmaker or animator.

I dunno really wanted to be a teacher when I was a teenager probably because I admired my sister who is a head teacher. When it came to makin a career choice for real I did apply for teaching but flunked my exams so didn't get their. After a year out I decided I wanted to be a psychiatric nurse I was 19 then. I followed this careet for 14yrs then went to university where I studies for a Gender Studies Social Policy Degree. I finally graduated in 2004 with my BA Hons. Since 2002 I have been working with children who have special needs mainly behavioural problems and also learning difficulties. I have recently thought about teaching again but have too many doubts so its hold. I get alot out of supporting the teachers and working closely with the children, it's extremely rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by silvawitch
    I dunno really wanted to be a teacher when I was a teenager probably because I admired my sister who is a head teacher. When it came to makin a career choice for real I did apply for teaching but flunked my exams so didn't get their. After a year out I decided I wanted to be a psychiatric nurse I was 19 then. I followed this careet for 14yrs then went to university where I studies for a Gender Studies Social Policy Degree. I finally graduated in 2004 with my BA Hons. Since 2002 I have been working with children who have special needs mainly behavioural problems and also learning difficulties. I have recently thought about teaching again but have too many doubts so its hold. I get alot out of supporting the teachers and working closely with the children, it's extremely rewarding.
    That's very cool - good for you!

I wanted to be a city manager like my dad. Then I realized I hate business/economics, and I never want to deal with crazy elected officials. Next I thought I might want to go into the military and work as an officer on a Naval surface ship or something. Then I realized how much I would have to give up to seek a military career, besides I don't support pre-emptive wars. Plus the military enviorment is really very chavenistic, and I don't want to have to deal with that all the time.

Now I have no idea what I want to be.

Thanx CaptLex!

Thanx CaptLex

How hilarious!!!

I wanted to be a Cowboy too!!! I made sure everyone knew I did NOT want to be a Cowgirl!!

At age 10 the movie "The Karate Kid" came out. I then decided I wanted to be a black belt. And so I did. A second degree even. It happened 14 years later so hang on to your dreams. They can come true!!

Taylor

I wanted to be a neurosurgeon until I was 20 and dropped out of school. Now I'm going back to school and want to be a history professor.
    Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor105
    How hilarious!!! I wanted to be a Cowboy too!!! I made sure everyone knew I did NOT want to be a Cowgirl!!
    After seeing Brokeback Mountain, I'm thinking more and more about cowboys again.

Quote Originally Posted by privateperks
    Now I'm going back to school and want to be a history professor.
    Oooh . . . I lke that . . . it makes me think of Indiana Jones!

Well, I believe Professor Jones Jr. is an archeologist. And I'm not really built for going on digs or dodging Nazis.

I love his hat though.

Well, I believe Professor Jones Jr. is an archeologist. And I'm not really built for going on digs or dodging Nazis.

I love his hat though.
    Is there any particular type of history you'd like to teach (like World History, for example)? We'll have to get you a hat like Indy's, Professor Perks (but I guess you won't need the whip to keep back the snakes).

Well, mostly Native American history. My area of study has mostly been Southeastern people at their time of contact and early colonization by europeans, particularly in my own tribe. I'm also interested in European history of the same time, to study the pressures and technology which led to immigration.

Well, mostly Native American history. My area of study has mostly been Southeastern people at their time of contact and early colonization by europeans, particularly in my own tribe. I'm also interested in European history of the same time, to study the pressures and technology which led to immigration.
    Ooooh . . . can I take your class? What tribe are you from? I have indigenous blood from the Caribbean (Caribs, Arawaks, etc.), but unfortunately, there isn't enough history to teach there. A lot of that history has been lost. I think that's terrific. Good luck to you.

Hey guys . . . here's another "getting to know you" question. As a child (and I realize some of us are further away from that age than others), what did you want to be when you grew up?

i frist wanted to be a vet, when i was 8 years old; at the age of 12 I changed my mind and since i was 14 until i was 17 i wanted to study informatics, i just liked it and everybody though i was going to study that but i dunno why i´ve decided to study medicin, i´ve always tried to avoid it ....cos u know im supossed to save lives but maybe my pacient dies and that things...anyway i hope i´ll work in a bio-lab- I´ve always like sciencie, even when i was just 6 (XD)

(im a litlle mad scientist who wants to dominate the world lol)

Ooooh . . . can I take your class? What tribe are you from? I have indigenous blood from the Caribbean (Caribs, Arawaks, etc.), but unfortunately, there isn't enough history to teach there. A lot of that history has been lost. I think that's terrific. Good luck to you.
    I'm Cherokee, not the "my great great grandpappy was a Cherokee princess" kind though.

Hmmm. I've met a few Arawak/Taino Indians over the years. And yeah, there's not a lot of them - but they've got a strong community and sense of history and culture even in diaspora. I know the academic view is that only the Caribs survived but I wouldn't say that to a Taino's face - that's for sure.