Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting Eddie Izzard!!!!!

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.

Meeting Eddie Izzard!!!!!

Hi!
    Well, I just got back from Chicago, where I MET EDDIE IZZARD!!!
    It was ****ing amazing!
    We got into Tower Records on N. Clark St. at about 2 pm on Friday, and bought his new DVDs. Then we went to lunch at the restaurant downstairs.
    This was my mother and me, Cathy, Martha, and Cathy's mother Agnes from Cleveland, Karen from Texas, and Elise, who was already in chicago.
    After going back to the hotel for a bit, we got back to Tower at 4- ish.
    Cathy had called the store manager and told him we'd be willing to help out in any way we could. So we were an 'elitist' group and got special permissions. We hung out, organised the display cases, talked to fans, got everyone situated and hyped up. At about 5.30 they gave everybody tickets and had them line up outside to get into the Q&A. Our group got to stay in the store and were guaranteed to be last.
    We went straight into the Classical music section, where Eddie would be doing the Q&A, and stood immediately in front of the stage. At about 6.30 they let everyone in (there were at least 300 people there). At 6.40 Eddie came in and my group all burst into "Hey Big Spender"-- he sang the song in the movie "Circus". He gave us a very surprised and amused look, then got onstage. He said "You're very close" and backed up. He answered questions for about 20- 30 minutes and then went into the other room to the table while everybody except us lined up. We sat in the room for awhile and then perused the record store. We stood about 20 feet from Eddie and took a few pictures.
    Occasionally I'd look over and he was staring at me with that intense look he sometimes gets. I think he thought I was bonkers or something. Hehe
    So at about 9.30 we were made to get in line because they weren't going to let anybody else queue up.

(MORE)
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

So we stood in line with a security guard to make sure nobody got behind us.
    They were playing music (BeeGees, Fleetwood Mac, etc) and we all sang along loudly. We finally got up to him near midnight. He was allowed to sign 3 items and they said no posed pictures.
    When we got to our turn, we all started singing the song he did in "All the Queen's Men" (Falling in love again) and forgot the words. He was giving us another slightly confused look. A few people in my group went before me. My mum had given me a pair of see- thru lingere- type panties to give Eddie. I put them in my pocket. Elise introduced me by saying "this is my baby brother Benny"-- another Eddie reference. I said "Yeah, but my name's not really Benny." I went up to the table, put my hand in my pocket, and then went "whoops" and tossed the pants on the table.
    He gave me a look of "quois?" and picked them up. He said "What's the deal with these?"
    I said "Well, you can do whatever you want with them. Hang them on your wall or whatever. They're hers--" I pointed to my mum. Then I pulled out my packet I'd made. I said I'd written a long letter--"You don't have to read it, but, ya know..." told him that my unfinished album was there and handed it to him. He looked at the cover for a minute. And then, "Oh! And an email from Brian May!"
    He says, "Brian May?"
    I pulled it out. "Yeah." I set it in front of him.
    "Brian May??"
    "Yeah, from Queen." He started reading the email and was a bit confused by who wrote what. So I leaned over the table and pointed out the format.
    "So, you just wrote an email to Brian May, and he wrote you back."
    "Yeah! If you just go to his website, BrianMay.com and write him an email, he'll write you back."
    "Hmm! Brian May!"
    I pulled out my drawings I'd done and he looked at them for a minute. Then I set my stuff to be signed on the table. I said,
    "Just make it out to Courtney."
    I had 2 DVD jackets (Unrepeatable and Definite Article) and my cigarette case. He asked, "C-o-u-r-t-n-e-y?" I told him yeah. He signed the jackets, "To Courtney, love Eddie x" and then I told him to sign the inside of the case if he could manage, so it wouldn't rub off. He wrote "To Courtney, love Eddie Izzard x"
    Then I collected my stuff and said, "Can I shake your hand?"
    "Yeah!!"
    He set down his pen and held out his hand, which I took. His handshake was very firm and his hands were silky soft, so small and dainty. I went off to the side to wait for Agnes and my mum.

(MORE)
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

After my mum flirted shamelessly with him, she said "this is my daughter" and pointed to me.
    I said, "Yeah, I'm a female transvestite, which apparently don't exist."
    He said, "It's nice to meet you!!!" and shook my hand again.
    "And I fancy boys, too."
    He said, "so, you're a wannabe gay man?" and gave me an adorable smile.
    "Yeah!"
    "I haven't found anybody else like me, and I've looked. Online and stuff" (meaning no other Female TVs who also like men-- most are TS or fancy women or both).
    "Well, there is... If you see "Avengers", there was a woman, I can't think of her name... She was one of Uma Thermon's stunt doubles. But yeah, she was a huge tomboy, had never worn nail polish until that film. And she adored her husband and kids."
    "Well, glad to know I'm not the only one!"Shakes my hand again.
    "God, I wish I could think of her name. It was something like Agatha, or something if you heard it, you'd go..."
    "Yeah,"
    "But would you consider yourself to be a tomboy?"
    "Emmmmmmm, Well, I play hockey and guitars and stuff..."
    "But is tomboy a term you'd generally apply to yourself, or...?"
    "Errrrrrrrrr, No. Not really. I'm just a transvestite."
    "Well done." That was extremely sincere, very serious. He shook my hand AGAIN.

(MORE)

I'd given one of the staff my camera to take pictures, and Eddie let everyone line up behind him. He took a picture and the other camera's flash didn't go, so I got another one with everybody. Between pics, I put my hand on Eddie's shoulder briefly, and completely without realising it, and then took it off.
    Then Eddie stood up to take a picture with me. He put his arm gently around my back (!) and I snaked my arm around his waist.
    My camera had turned off cos it'd been on for too long. I said, "Oh, it's shut itself off again. **** the camera!"
    Eddie let out a slight giggle at that, the shoulder- shaking kind, and then we got the picture. He kind of slowly let go and I took a pic of him and my mum with her camera.
    We all backed off and watched while he signed the backdrop, then yelled "Thank you, Eddie" and he and his manager walked off.

We went down to the restaurant and Agnes pulled me aside. She touched my arm and said, "You had a moment. I'm very proud of you. You know what he meant when he said 'well done'."

He had meant, of course, well done for being so open and honest, and comfortable and sure of yourself at such a young age, and for having the balls to come out to everybody and not give a shit what anybody thought.
    The whole time he was talking to me, he was staring deep into my eyes, with that intense look. The eyes, windows to the soul... Filled with this expression of concentration, deep, intense interest, and intrigue. He never looked away, even for a second; I don't think he even blinked. I couldn't look away. I just stared back into those clear blue eyes.

So, it was an absolutely perfect night, all in all, even though we were all exhausted for standing up 8 hours straight.
    We had talked with his manager, who told us what he'd be doing and when, and how he felt about stuff, as well as inside feelings and thoughts he had.
    And I'd had my moment.
    I got the longest, most sincere and special conversation, gotten the only signature with his last name as far as I know, and talked to him very last, to be the most well- remembered guest.
    I'm not bragging; I'm extremely grateful and it was a million times more than I'd expected.
    Eddie was so sweet and polite, even though he was obviously very tired. He was courteous and generous with his time. He broke his own rules and was amazing.
    I love this man, and I think you can see why.
    If you can ever get to meet him, I obviously recommend it.

I'll post some pictures in a minute.

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    Kewl! But ya didn't pluck me an 'air frum his 'ead. That's whut I ask'd of ya. I wanted 'im to sign it. :P

Ooooo, that's all sticky!

More jam please

hugs
    kew
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

Click on the thumbs:

Sorry, no hair. BUT I got a thumbprint on my cigarette case. :-D

(In the above, he said his head was in another place cos he was trying to think of something, another reason I got a second pic)

And one of my autographs

StephanieCD
    Right on! I'm so happy for you it's ridiculous! Bravo! And - well done

SO KEWL!! Great Pictures. I am green with envy.

Hugs,
    Rene

Sounds like you had a great time. I see he's definately in guy mode at the moment. Big Eddie fan myself, would've loved to have been there.

Thanks, gals!

Thanks again
    Yes, Julie, I wasn't expecting anything nearly as incredible as it turned out to be.
    Wish you coulda come!
    Well, next time I'm in Chicago
    My mum mentioned you called. Sorry I missed ya!
    Anyway...
    He's just SO off the scale amazing. And GORGEOUS in person.
    Softest hands... And, he shaves his chest-- I saw razor burn, so even the richest, most well- looked- after trannies deal with that-- gives you all hope?
    He has a lovely back. When I had my arm at his waist I couldn't help but notice how solidly muscular and well- built his back was.
    He was in-****ing-credible.
    The one thing I wish I had done, but didn't, was to give him a comfort- type hug and just whisper 'thank you' in his ear. That would've been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas
    He's just SO off the scale amazing. And GORGEOUS in person.
    Softest hands... And, he shaves his chest-- I saw razor burn, so even the richest, most well- looked- after trannies deal with that-- gives you all hope?
    Eddie >>>

That was an amazing account and I'm thrilled for you, too! Especially... "The Moment"!!! Oh... that will be with you for the rest of your life!!!

And, yes... I spent over an hour scouring the photos for any sign of TG_ism. I did notice his very clean chest, and also, his hands were almost totally devoid of hair... just a bit... but it's light and doesn't show very much. I also noticed that his eyebrows were shaped in the straight upward style... a CD trick that I use, too.

I liked that you wore your suit... it looks great on you. And... you were smiling, a lot!!! I loved seeing the joy in your face! Or, was it ecstasy???

I loved his shirt... I think it was a tuxedo shirt, if I'm not mistaken, and very high quality. The fabric looks luscious. (I want it!!!)

And... I couldn't help thinking about the story you wrote all the time I was reading your account and looking at the pics. I kept wondering if there "is" some kind of karmic connection?!?!?

If you can, without embarrassing anyone, say "who was who" in the group shot? I'm just curious... I like to put names with faces.

Thanks for all the work posting your adventure... all of us Izzard fans really appreciated it!

Love you!!!
    Last edited by Jen_TGCD; 11-15-2004 at 02:27 AM.
    [size=3]---Jen--------- [/size][size=1]*[/size]

Heeeeey!
    Yes, the shirt... He always has very good shirts. It wasn't silky or anything, but just a regular French- cuffed shirt. I don't think it was cotton, because there were no wrinkles whatsoever. But high, stiff collar and nice French cuffs, square gold cufflinks with red on them. And very good jeans, too. We all wished he'd have tucked the shirt in, though.
    I think there is a Karmic connection, now you mention it. He seemed to be very interested in me, as I mentioned, and in a slightly different way-- for instance, not specifically to learn about my lifestyle, but more to learn about ME.
    As for the eyebrows-- He doesn't shape them. They are naturally shaped like that, which is fantastic. I was looking at a very large picture of him (you could see every pore and freckle) and you can difinitely see long stray eyebrow hairs-- no plucking or waxing. They're just like that. And, pictures when he was a kid and teenager-- same brows.
    I had wondered if he shaved or waxed or whatever, his body, and he definitely shaves.
    As for the picture:

From the left, it's my mum Natalie, then Martha (behind my right shoulder), then me, then Cathy's mum Agnes behind my left shoulder, then of course Eddie. Elise is right behind him, next to Eddie is Karen, and then Cathy.

I thought I'd be in awe. I did, but... He just makes you feel so comfortable. I felt like I'd known him forever and was just having a conversation. You don't feel star- struck around him; he just has this very mellow thing going on. I was abloe to speak in sentences, whereas normally I wouldn't have been able to do that. Like when I met Yngwie Malmsteen and I just stammered, "Um, hello... I was just wondering-- is it okay-- can I say hi?" But I was very happy and very calm.
    My mum was a bit flustered, so was Elise... Maybe I was just comfortable because maybe we do have a connection of some sort.
    He and I seem to be interested in the same things, and have the same views, same weird thoughts... When I was writing my own standup routine, I hadn't seen a few of his shows. Then I watched them and found I had unknowingly stolen a lot of his material. Not in the same way, but the same subjects (aeroplane biscuits that taste like the fibre wafers (he called them digest bistuits in Glorious), God having trouble with computers was likened to his people having trouble with computers, also from Glorious, etc.).
    Glad you enjoyed the story and pictures.
    Julie J-- thanks for the wonderful sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Julie M.
    Eddie,

That's your mom to your left? I thought she was your friend or sister! And no, I'm not just saying that. Wow! She looks so young!

Sorry, I'll compose myself now..................
    Julie ~
    <Laughing...> I thought the same thing. I just knew that the lady with white hair (on the right) was her mom!

Well, Eddie, you have a cool mother! And good friends. No wonder you had a great time!
    Last edited by Jen_TGCD; 11-15-2004 at 04:47 PM.

Yeah, we went to dinner after, and she ordered a G&T. The waitress asked for ID, and I said "She's my mum."
    The waitress cheekily replied "You must've had him when you were, like, 1!"

She gets that a lot. Even gets ID'd for cigarettes. Well, I suppose that's a good sign for me, eh?

Sounds like it was a night you'll never forget! Wonderful! Wish I was there.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Yes, and you should see those eyes in person.
    Goddddddd
    Almost transparent. Beautiful. Stunning. Gorgeous. Amazing.
    Bit of a hematoma going on, but I think that was the allergies. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas
    Bit of a hematoma going on, but I think that was the allergies. Wonderful.
    Gawd, Eddie... you really were "up close ... and personal"!!! Wow!!!