Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Cautionary Tale

Aspiring Member
    It’s a good warning for many, Stephanie.

Before you go on the ‘net with a profile or a website you have to weigh up the risks versus the benefits. Every so often, in my quieter moments, various thoughts come to my mind that causes me to review my profiles etc. Most recently when I found that some visitors to my website came because they had 'googled' a subject not related to TG-ism. However, I’ve never really changed anything as I usually satisfy myself that what I’ve put up I’m quite happy with. I remember doing a corporate seminar where the leader said never do anything or put anything in the public domain that you would feel uncomfortable being interviewed about on TV by Ray, Dan or Trevor.

I suppose it comes back to how comfortable you are with what you are and how ‘out’ you need or want to be?

I created an internet profile because, at the time, it seemed a very important thing to do. It gave me some community credibility – before I had a profile and website I had trouble getting anyone to respond to me. Now they don’t respond because they know me too well. But the profile worked well – and I know I rarely respond to anyone without a detailed profile and a photo.

And that brings me neatly back to agreeing with Sandra’s argument – that everyone ought to be able to put, at least, basic [and truthful] information on their profiles on forums like this.

I accept that with the exception of GG members and a few TSs - the rest of us are hiding behind disguises and chosen names - but I think that's a given.

I also accept what Helen says that we do judge people by the posts that they have made – but, sadly, it does matter to me if - ‘RitaRaverGG’ the 21YO woman with a troublesome CD boyfriend who is seeking advice and support is really Brian from round the corner. Or if ConnieCorsetTV ,the 30 something CD with psychological and emotional problems turns out to be CarolCanberraCD, a long standing member with a weird sense of humour.

Probably 99% of members are who they say they are – and I’m not sure what you do about the rest anyway. I guess I’ve got off thread a bit but it is a balance for some between maintaining your own privacy and attaining some level of credibility.

Fiona xx
    Last edited by FionaAlexis; 05-23-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Banned Read only
    Somethng is not right here with YAhoo. I used any name I wanted and registered. No way heck does yahoo know what your realname is.......so fill me in what am I missing here.

I hate to say it, but nothing is ever removed from the internet. There is always a copy or it somewhere in a repose or archive. When uyu commit tp the use of the internet and forums etc to post about ones style of life or tid bits, be prepared for what ever is apt to happen...

I have an account on yahoo as Stephenie registered from my email the thing is dont use my real name on the web either male or femm. even the computers are registered under a psudonim.
    Steph
    Spelling bad because the fairies make love on my keyboard.