Thread: Makup Expiration

Makup Expiration

as I first mentioned when I came here, I haven't CD'd in a long time. when going through my things the other day I found a lot of makeup I had laying around in my cosmetics case. some of them used and a lot of them unopened.
    I was wondering, does makeup have an expiration date? I wanted to try some mascara the other day and it looked kind of thick.
    if it does expire how long should you keep them before you throw them away?

You should join the Beauty Club, I wrote this in there

Mascara

Shelf Life: Three-six months

Mascaras should always be used fairly quickly once they're opened because they're easily contaminated by the pumping action of the brush. This can force bacteria further into the container where the moist, wet environment is ideal for bacteria to thrive

Moisturiser

Shelf Life: Three-12 months

Moisturisers should be used up quickly, especially ones that contain essential oils and botanicals (check ingredients on the label). The best idea is to buy one moisturiser at a time and use it everyday. This is more important with natural ingredients such as plant extracts that can quickly lose their efficacy after a certain time and go off. Check the use-by date if you're not sure when yours should be chucked.

Foundation

Shelf Life: Oil-Free Foundation (12 months); Moisturising, Cream or Compact Foundation (18 months)

Again, it's a good idea to use foundation quickly. Oil-free ones have the shortest shelf life because they tend to dry out quicker than other types.

Powder

Shelf Life: Two years

Although powder will actually last longer, two years is the longest you should really keep it. After that, it can start to get a bit dry and, in the case of pressed powder, it may not go on as smoothly. This is unavoidable, as powder mixes with natural skin oils left on the sponge. As a general rule, loose powder can last up to three years in the right conditions.

Concealer

Shelf Life: 12-18 months

Stick concealer lasts the longest of any type. You can tell it's had its day when it starts to get dry and no longer goes on smoothly. Liquid based concealers may start to separate or go lumpy when they're going off.

Blusher

Shelf Life: Powder Blush (two years); Cream Blush (12-18 months)

After two years, powder blushers may start to get a bit dry or develop a 'slippery' texture, caused by mixing with natural oils from skin. Also, once the colour changes it's no longer in its prime. Cream blushes have a shorter shelf life because they contain more emulsions, which are less stable and break down over time. However, you'll find you use these more quickly anyway.

Eyeshadow

Shelf Life: Powder Eyeshadow (two years); Cream Eyeshadow (12-18 months)

Powder eyeshadows can last for ages because they are mainly pigmented pressed powder. Cream eyeshadows have a shorter shelf life because, like cream blushes, they use emulsions that break down over time.

Eyeliner and lipliner

Shelf Life: two years

Eyeliner and lipliners are the workhorses of cosmetics. They last for ages because sharpening them regularly goes a long way in preventing bacterial growth.

Lipstick

Shelf Life: two years

Lipsticks are generally quite long lasting because of the way the pigment and fat are formulated together. Don't be put off if tiny bubbles appear on the surface - these are just moisture drops and can be wiped off.

Lipgloss

Shelf Life: 18 months-two years

Lipgloss isn't as long lasting as lipstick because it is formulated in a different way.

Fragrance

Shelf Life: 18 months-two years

Fragrances carry little risk of becoming contaminated because they usually contain alcohol, which is a natural preservative.

Just some additional information in regards to brushes, sponges and anything else you use to apply make-up.

1. Brushes - sterilize them using alcohol - washing them in soap and water will dry them out and they won't last as long.

2. Sponges - throw them away, they breed bacteria.

3. Wax pencils - (eye and lips) sharpen them each time you use them or dip the ends in alcohol, this will kill bacteria.

4. Nail tools - cuticle nippers, nail clippers, nail files (metal) etc - sterilize them in alcohol.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I was watching Tyra Banks talk show a short time ago.They did a segment on makeup.They showed microscopic pictures of some old an even not so old makeup.You wouldn't believe all the little critters crawling around in it.YUK!!!!
    Kisses,
    Elizabeth

http://profiles.urnotalone.com/ElizabethHeatherton

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elizabethheatherton/

http://profiles.yahoo.com/lipsticksiss

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ladies...guid=242225087

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb

"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want." -
    -- Lao Tzu