Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming Out..in Your Avatar.

Coming Out..in Your Avatar.

In case you're wondering the Avatar is that little picture thingy that shows up besides your message posts.

I know a lot us us girls have come out to at least posting a picture of ourselves in our Avatars. However, a whole lot of us are still in the Avatar posting closet so to speak.

How about taking a bold first step to coming out in public and at least putting a picture in your Avatar? It wouldn't even have to be a close-up face shot.

Maybe something to think about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    Interesting point Dina.....a journey begins with one step.

Emily Ann

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    Where does it say that your avatar has to be a picture of you? I cant stand it when people post crap like this. My avatar is my avatar. period. I would never put a pic in it, so I can be like the rest of the sheep around here.

Banned Read only
    Oh i don't know. I used to post my avatar pic here all the time and recently posted a full body shot of me in the picture gallery.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33106

The one i have now is just something different for a change.

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Hi Bernadina,

Not a bad idea...

IMHO, I tend to look rather naff in pictures, so using one as my avatar is not something on which I'm keen. I do, however, have a profile pic for those who need to satisfy their morbid curiousity.

My avatar is Ranma Saotome (in girl form) - you can read more in this thread Screen-names - Avatars and the meaning behind them. Basically, when splashed with cold water, Ranma becomes a gilr, and changes back when splashed with hot water.

I use this avatar not just here, but on other (non-TG) forums as well. I figure that the otaku crowd kinda get's it when I have a 'girl' avatar and post as Mr. Rock.

oops...

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Last edited by Ms. Donna; 06-14-2006 at 01:01 PM.
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

i use mine will be putting a new one up soon

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    I know some of you are very hesitant to do that for a few reasons. Here are a few of those reasons, and why they may not be blocks after all. Feel free to add your own. (While I'm editing a spelling mistake, let me say that this took some time to write. When I hit the Submit button all I could see were Bernadina's and Emily Ann's posts. None of these reasons should be construed as being directed at anyone. [Sorry Donna.])

True: "My SO/kids/boss/etc. will see my avatar. Most of the site is open to non-members, after all."
    But: First you have to find this site. Then you have to click on a section and then a thread before you see any avatars. They have to be pretty determined to get that far. I have yet to hear of anybody being outted because someone else found their avatar.

True: "I don't have a digital camera. I'm not about to outted because I got my film developed."
    But: Inexpensive ($20 USD) digital cameras are out there.

True: "Those inexpensive cameras don't have a self-timer."
    But: You can take a picture of yourself in the mirror. It may not be studio quality but it works.

True: "Those inexpensive cameras take small pictures."
    But: Small pictures are perfect for the internet.

True: "I don't wear makeup."
    But: We don't care. Honestly.

True: "I look like a man in a dress/woman in a tux."

True: "I don't have a wig. / My hair is too long/the wrong style/etc."

True: "I hate looking at pictures of myself."
    But: You get used to it. And you start to see yourself in other pictures the way others see you. You start to develop a new image about how you look.

True: "It's a scary thought."
    But: It is a scary thought but it's a great feeling when you take that step.
    Last edited by Casey Morgan; 06-14-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley in Jersey
    Where does it say that your avatar has to be a picture of you? I cant stand it when people post crap like this. My avatar is my avatar. period.
    Good Point...
    Anyone can post anyone's pic in an avatar. People have no way of knowing if it's really you.

Gold Member
    Where does it say that your avatar has to be a picture of you? I cant stand it when people post crap like this. My avatar is my avatar. period. I would never put a pic in it, so I can be like the rest of the sheep around here.
    LOL, love your attitude

Ah-May-Lee

I thought that was you in the avatar.

Yea, it doesn't matter what a person uses for an avatar, it's their words that I care about. But maybe for some cds who are trying to get out of the closet, this could be one way to do so, one step out.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Whilst I agree with your basic principle love...you shouldn't assume that anyone who does want to have a pic. of themselves as their avatar is a sheep.!!!...we all have the same rights.!!
    Nikki.

The only point I see about posting a picture of yourself as your avatar is it allows others to see the real you. Other than that, it makes no difference what you use as your avatar.

I fully support those who have posted their real pics online, and I have infinate respect for all of you, but I have no need or desire for the whole planet to know my business, as I see it as quite a personal thing. If I were to dress full time it would be a different matter though...
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

Nobody forces you to post an avatar picture, and what's wrong with inviting members to do so?
    "I Used to Have a Handle on Life, But It Broke"

Quote Originally Posted by Shari_Ann
    I know some of you are very hesitant to do that for a few reasons. Here are a few of those reasons, and why they may not be blocks after all. Feel free to add your own. (While I'm editing a spelling mistake, let me say that this took some time to write. When I hit the Submit button all I could see were Bernadina's and Emily Ann's posts. None of these reasons should be construed as being directed at anyone. [Sorry Donna.])

True: "My SO/kids/boss/etc. will see my avatar. Most of the site is open to non-members, after all."
    But: First you have to find this site. Then you have to click on a section and then a thread before you see any avatars. They have to be pretty determined to get that far. I have yet to hear of anybody being outted because someone else found their avatar.

True: "I don't have a digital camera. I'm not about to outted because I got my film developed."
    But: Inexpensive ($20 USD) digital cameras are out there.

True: "Those inexpensive cameras don't have a self-timer."
    But: You can take a picture of yourself in the mirror. It may not be studio quality but it works.

True: "Those inexpensive cameras take small pictures."
    But: Small pictures are perfect for the internet.

True: "I don't wear makeup."

True: "I look like a man in a dress/woman in a tux."

True: "I don't have a wig. / My hair is too long/the wrong style/etc."

True: "I hate looking at pictures of myself."
    But: You get used to it. And you start to see yourself in other pictures the way others see you. You start to develop a new image about how you look.

True: "It's a scary thought."
    But: It is a scary thought but it's a great feeling when you take that step.

Well, Shari Ann
    Have you ever Googled your fem name? I did yours, and, well, lets see...

How do you see yourself? All Welcome to Respond - Crossdressers.comShari_Ann's Avatar. Join Date: Mar 2006. Location: Rochester, NY USA ... Shari Ann doesn't have all that baggage because oddly enough most of it was never ...
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?p=461686 - 115k - Cached - Similar pages

Is it just me - Crossdressers.comShari_Ann's Avatar. Join Date: Mar 2006. Location: Rochester, NY USA ... Shari Ann Bottom line: no matter the type of clothes I wear or the gender of the ...
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=27801 - 110k - Cached - Similar pages

So If your name is known, there is lots more info out there.
    Just an FYI
    Susann
    Susann_Gardener

Question: How does you girls see my Feme name, Janet Johnson.
    Janet Johnson

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/OccasionalWoman84

Quote Originally Posted by Breanne
    Nobody forces you to post an avatar picture, and what's wrong with inviting members to do so?
    Nothing at all.

What bothers me is the insinuation that if you dont have a profile picture, you aren't as out or as good as the ones that do. Bleh.

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by susann_gardener
    So If your name is known, there is lots more info out there.
    Just an FYI
    Susann
    Very true. But if you knew the nick I've used on other forums in the past you'd know all sorts of things about me. Once it's known all pretense at anonymity is lost. The trick is you have to know my name ahead of time.

Unless you're very careful about what you say, anybody who knows you can Google your nick and figure out who you are. And being that careful kind of defeats the purpose of this site IMO.
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Nothing at all.

What bothers me is the insinuation that if you dont have a profile picture, you aren't as out or as good as the ones that do. Bleh.
    FWIW, I love your avatar.

As for pics, there is litterally a handful of me out there - and even that's too many.

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

It dosen't. Not even in this thread so quit being so negative because someone made a suggestion you don't approve of

Susan

Banned Read only

Hey, she's better looking than I am

I use a pic I took at Coachella this year. I even got it published in LA paper. (I got high friends in low places, so a photo pass was easy.) I'm proud of it, and (even though I'm not wild about her music) I dig Madonna as a woman, as a performer, as a person. So I will stick with her for a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss_susan
    It dosen't. Not even in this thread so quit being so negative because someone made a suggestion you don't approve of

Susan
    Thats your opinion, and it is cool. I have mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadina
    I know a lot us us girls have come out to at least posting a picture of ourselves in our Avatars. However, a whole lot of us are still in the Avatar posting closet so to speak.

How about taking a bold first step to coming out in public and at least putting a picture in your Avatar? It wouldn't even have to be a close-up face shot.

To me an avatar is provided as a space for you to place something that is an expression of you. Thats it. It isnt intended for any specific item. And I dont like the notion of being told that I, or any one else, is less "out" or less anything else because we chose to put something else in there. There is a place for pics already. I have put my fair share in there, and I dont mind doing it.

I dont post just to hear myself talk. Well sometimes I do, but this isnt it. I just dont like being put in a neat little box and being just like the next person.

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.

Bernadina,

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadina
    In case you're wondering the Avatar is that little picture thingy that shows up besides your message posts.

Maybe something to think about.

Please consider that some of us, both CD and GG, quietly go about our lives, with no need to prove anything to anyone, nor do we need validation from anyone.

I think the avatar I chose is representative of me as a person, not as a face. Besides, if I posted my picture, being so ravishingly beautiful, the green eyed monster would most likely rear its head and run me off the forum! <super smirk>

Do you have that in pink? Julie Avery's Avatar
    Get back to me when you're 52 and fat.
    "Inside of every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened."

"The best thing about the MBasic that comes with the Kaypro is that it allows variable names longer than two characters."

Banned Read only

The inner me.

Need I say more?