Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do Our Avatars Say About Us?

What Do Our Avatars Say About Us?

I was wondering what kinds of messages we give out about ourselves with our Avatars.

(For our new members, Avatars are the cameo pictures that show up beside our posts.)

I noticed that we run the range from none at all, cutesy cartoons, chrome plated sharks, bottom half photos, face shots and everything else in between.

Anyone have an opinion?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Dina!

The messages are probably as individual as ourselves. For me, my avatar represents what I see as the best of my femme self. At present I'm in a purge, and this helps alleviate some of the pain; it is the one and best reminder of the female part of me.

Though I've been tempted to change my avatar, I'd be afraid of people not recognizing me. On the other hand, others change avatars frequently and don't seem to experience problems. Hmmm...
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Platinum Member
    i am all me just for now no face (hunting season i look like sasquash) no shaveing for a while after hunting we will fix that

Rhonda Callahan

Ignorance

My lack of an avatar, that is. I haven't taken the time to learn how to, and when I do, I want to be able to show one of my prettiest pictures .I will, I will, believe me, I want to. I've got to get a web cam ? I have a video cam, that came with the computer hookup, and the dvd, Digital Photo Navigator,but I just haven't gotten there yet. I keep looking back at my videos, and damn, I've got some nice shots, but I'll just bet, about all of us say that about ourselves. Besides, my computer is old, and so am I. I do a lot of this for selfish reasons anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that, we all want to be accepted by others, don't we ? LOL, and I hope no one minds that I say Lots of Love after a lot of my responses,I probably copied it but I really do mean it. There are so many similarities between us, from the enjoyment of dressing, to the depression we've all experienced.

A very interesting question indeed. I think of myself as the hometown country girl type who is on the wholesome side, willing to help and be as good an influence as I can. Thus my avatar. I try to live my life that way, at least as best I can. Because I live in a very small community, one that is intolerant of CDs, I won't be showing my real self. I am known by quite a few here and if I were "exposed" I would literally have to move out of the area. Ah, such is life in a secluded but gorgeous scenic area.
    [SIZE=4]~ASHLEIGH~[/SIZE]
    Finis Origine Pendet (The end depends upon the beginning)

Banned Read only
    My message is simple. Here I am!

Quote Originally Posted by fractlgrrl
    On the other hand, others change avatars frequently and don't seem to experience problems. Hmmm...
    Stephanie, what are you insinuating!? I can change my mind can't I? Woman's prerogative!

Love,
    Vicky
    just strolling along the boardwalk of life!
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    http://www.vickysplace.co.za/

for lack of a better excuse mines the one thats on the post office wall in town!!!!!!!!

I know I had trouble mentally connecting one ladies post with her because she had changed from a photo to a completely different picture. I see the avatar off to the side and connect it to the person without looking for a name, when it is present.

As for mine, initially it was an online image I liked and decided to use. Now, even though I have a head shot photo, I don't think I'll change it. I like it too much.
    DonnaT

Platinum Member

oh yar

Quote Originally Posted by SherryAnn
    for lack of a better excuse mines the one thats on the post office wall in town!!!!!!!!
    some how i don't doute that

Platinum Member
    sorry sherry ann ,(wendy bites her toung)

Amelie
    Stephanie,,,What do you mean some girls change their avatar frequently?

I don't see this happening.

I like to keep changing my avatar. I will also put up other kinds of pics,, not just my pic.
    I'm on another site, the people there change their avatars every week, I can't keep up with the changes. I have to read the names all the time, I can't go by the avatar.
    Amelie

Starluscious

Thumbs up equal

I better not get attacked for saying this cuz it's from my heart
    I don't deserve to be attacked for speaking up

we're all equal in beauty it's just sometimes it takes time to find it
    and the open minded people look at your avatars and go
    pretty girls must be nice to talk to
    and the close minded go : wow I"d like to f*** that what a sl**
    so it varies on what people think of our avatars
    we'll never fully know all the way until we ask everyone
    which would take a while

love
    Starluscious
    thanks for asking ladies
    it is a good question
    sometimes the answers are hard to find

Amelie
    Didn't we ban you to Bogie-land, Star. Lol

Sometimes, Star, if you are going to say something unpopular, you must be prepared to stand alone. I have been there. If you think what you said is right, then stick by it and defend what you say.
    Love Amelie

Mine says my wig needed combing! But I like the facial expression. And it's always fascinating to me to see other girls. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that there are so many of us who need to do this thing.

I'm just waiting for a face shot I'm happy with!
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

HD TV

Mine says "someone get this girl laser hair removal and a makeover!"

I can see someone not posting their face to protect their anonymity. Sometimes I just look at the avatars and go "what is this girl thinking?" A lot of girls complain that we're not socially accepted, and the sexiness of some of the pics/avatars could quite possibly make an outsider scratch their head and accuse all of us of being pervs - which is an image I personally am trying to get away from.

IMHO, I always keep the explicit stuff in the bedroom. Unless someone's willing to pay to see that - J/K. But I keep all of my pics and avatars rated "PG." Noone asked to see my panties! lol

Still Learning

Love it

Good answer Genevieve.
    [size=4]*Marlene*[/size]

It is better to be "immortal" than "mortal"

Quote Originally Posted by babe4life
    Stephanie, what are you insinuating!? I can change my mind can't I? Woman's prerogative!

Love,
    Vicky
    But of course! My thought was, "maybe they know something I don't!"
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    Stephanie,,,What do you mean some girls change their avatar frequently?

I don't see this happening.
    It must be my poor eyesight, Amelie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    I like to keep changing my avatar. I will also put up other kinds of pics,, not just my pic.
    I'm on another site, the people there change their avatars every week, I can't keep up with the changes. I have to read the names all the time, I can't go by the avatar.
    Amelie
    Actually I find I don't go by the avatars a lot. As things return to some semblance of normality for me, I may no longer need my current avatar to be the "anchor" it is for me now.
    Stephanie

My avatar is my fav pic of me and it's not easy to reproduce the effect everytime I dress. It is who I want to be.

A happy girl, happy to be alive and happy to see others and be seen. When I see it, my feelings always soar. I see that in many avatars and truly enjoy them.

Jenna

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna1561

A happy girl, happy to be alive and happy to see others and be seen. When I see it, my feelings always soar. I see that in many avatars and truly enjoy them.

Jenna
    Jenna ~
    I can see that and feel it, too, in your posts. Keep smiling, girlfriend!
    [size=3]---Jen--------- [/size][size=1]*[/size]

re the original question ............ do you need to ask ???
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Though I've been tempted to change my avatar, I'd be afraid of people not recognizing me. On the other hand, others change avatars frequently and don't seem to experience problems. Hmmm...
    It's all about style ...

sharkstyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crispy; 11-28-2004 at 12:29 AM.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

I've been tempted to change my avatar
    If you do, Stephanie, PLEASE repost it and your profile pic in the Pictures Thread. They are just too lovely to take from us!

Love
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 11-28-2004 at 12:45 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter