Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In a predicament

Quote Originally Posted by FionaAlexis
    Presumably ‘business’ which means that a significant part of the trip time will be devoted to work and possibly the son will left alone for that time. Is this what you all call ‘quality’ time?
    Give the kid a dvd player for a couple of hours. No big deal.
    If all parents put there children first then there would be no day care, no after school care, no need for baby sitters or boarding schools. And that great US institution the summer camp – would be a big question mark.
    I'm wondering why the hell you're trying to turn something this simple into rocket science? GEEEEEESH! It's a done deal. Karen is taking the kid along. Get over it!

Take the son and have some quality family time?
    If you don't he may not have time for you someday...You'll be'll sorry.For crying out loud...Take your son !!!!
    Dee Dee

What I did when on a trip with my dad. When he went to work I lived in the pool or watch Television.

"I think I know what I’m going to do but what would you do in this situation??"

Let rewrite this.

I think I know what I'm going to do.

What would you do in this situation?

A statement then a question.

Let me tell you from past the trips with my dad is some of the most fondest memories I have.
    &

"I've lived life on both side now, from win and lose, and still somehow it's life's illusions i recall.
    I really don't know life at all "

Rickie

Be A dad first he won't soon forget you for it. I took my son on a sixteen hundred mile round trip once and It was none stop drove one truck up and turned around and brought the other back. He talked about it for days. Thirty hours plus on the road I slept for days after wards ! LOL

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Yes, that’s right.

Presumably ‘business’ which means that a significant part of the trip time will be devoted to work and possibly the son will left alone for that time. Is this what you all call ‘quality’ time? Also it's not a simple choice between 'me time' and 'family time'.

Fiona xx
    Karren has proven by her many posts about her varied business trips, that there is plenty of *non* business time. This is evidenced by her many picture albums posted while on, and after these business trips. I'd dare say there will be plenty of *down* time to spend with the son.

I was thinking about this thread a bit ago, and wondered whose idea it was initially for the son to go. Mom's or the son? It's quite possible, if it was Mom's idea primarily, that she may be getting an inkling of the amount of time you're spending dressed on these trips Karren, and perhaps is suggesting your son go as a way to curb it??

Proud Wife of Danielle65 Anita Mae GG's Avatar
    Massachusetts (on the Connecticut border)
    If all parents put there children first then there would be no day care, no after school care, no need for baby sitters or boarding schools. And that great US institution the summer camp – would be a big question mark.

If parents put their children first then I doubt they would never move house to another area and divorce between parents would not exist and any family law legislation would be much simpler than it is.

Fiona xx
    OMG get a clue. Daycare and camp etc are in place to provide money to FEED the CHILDREN through working for a living. Not everyone is independently wealthy.

Karren is the one who ASKED WHAT SHE SHOULD DO so therefore she is getting her answer. As far as it being business and not having time for the kid...she seems to have plenty of time to dress as Karren so there is time right there to spend with her son.
    IF Karren ALREADY knew what she wanted then why did she bother with the thread in the first place. What other people would "hypothetically" do in her shoes is irrelevent at best.

Just seems to be strring up the pot if you ask me

To dream of the person you would like to be is a waste of the person you are.

FAMILY FIRST!!!

Then secondly, endulge your fantasies!!!!

Banned Read only
    Wow Vanya, that is kinda paranoid. I wonder why you would even suggest that to Karren? And if the wife suspected, then I think it would be the LAST place to send the kid. After all if Karren keeps it in the hotel and not at the house, ain't that better? And that "non" business time, seems to be at night if you look at the pics and observe the details.

I always took it that when my ex wanted me to take the boys it was because she wanted some peace and quite. And, if he needs to learn to drive, then driving is the only way to do it. It ain't a textbook deal.

I take it by working Karren is putting her family first. Lots of jobs are not very family friendly, and taking your kid to work is not always an option. After all, if the company wanted you to have kids you could get them on the same form you order pens and paper on.

And.... What happens if something happens? What happens to that kid if something goes way wrong while Karren is down in the mine? (and anything going wrong in a mine is going to be way wrong.) That is something she must - and I'm sure she had - considered also.
    Aside from it being against the OHSA standards, the company rules and all that, one big problem with taking my kids to work with me is that I was not done till 3/4 am for the most part. That seemed like a bit much for a 15 year old. It should go without saying that there were other reasons not to let a 15 year old hang out backstage with rock bands.

Junior Member Melissa Jane Martin's Avatar
    Hi Karen,

I just went through this with my son. Driving for him was quite a challenge. I thought with all of the video games he had played he would just be a quick study with driving but it was tough. Funny thing, my wife was always making similar suggestions for me to take him when she would not even get in the same car with him!

I can see both sides. Take him and he gets some good quality Dad time and driving time. Of course, you need your away time as well. Guess I am not being too much help here. A few good hours on the road at home would help him I am sure. I guess I say take him. I remmember my Dad taking me on the road several times with him. They are only young once!

Melissa Jane
    May The Force Be With You!

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by tekla west
    Wow Vanya, that is kinda paranoid. I wonder why you would even suggest that to Karren? And if the wife suspected, then I think it would be the LAST place to send the kid. After all if Karren keeps it in the hotel and not at the house, ain't that better? And that "non" business time, seems to be at night if you look at the pics and observe the details.

I always took it that when my ex wanted me to take the boys it was because she wanted some peace and quite. And, if he needs to learn to drive, then driving is the only way to do it. It ain't a textbook deal.

I take it by working Karren is putting her family first. Lots of jobs are not very family friendly, and taking your kid to work is not always an option. After all, if the company wanted you to have kids you could get them on the same form you order pens and paper on.

And.... What happens if something happens? What happens to that kid if something goes way wrong while Karren is down in the mine? (and anything going wrong in a mine is going to be way wrong.) That is something she must - and I'm sure she had - considered also.
    Aside from it being against the OHSA standards, the company rules and all that, one big problem with taking my kids to work with me is that I was not done till 3/4 am for the most part. That seemed like a bit much for a 15 year old. It should go without saying that there were other reasons not to let a 15 year old hang out backstage with rock bands.
    LOL, *paranoid*? I suggested, nor did I intend, nothing of the sort. It simply IS a possibility. IF you will take the time to re-read what I said you will find that I specifically asked the circumstances surrounding the suggestion that Karren's son go along for the trip. Let's all face it here, we're adults, yes? If a woman is married to a CD, and she's not "comfortable" with it, she wouldn't be human if she didn't wonder what hubby's doing on those (in Karren's case) frequent trips. I also think the wife would have enough faith in hubby to trust that he wouldn't dress in front of the son. SHEESH!
    I dunno though, after reading some of these responses, I wonder if that faith would be misplaced with a few.

As far as the son going along, Karren has already stated she has brought him along before. I'm sure, being as careful as she is about other things (aside from "blackberrying" at 70 MPH of course) she has already checked to see what the employer's position is on this matter.

I have to disagree with you on Karren's dressing being at night. I've seen quite a few of her in daylight. The cute pink capris picture comes to mind. And besides, what does dressing at night have to do with the price of eggs in China?

I don't think ANYone has suggested taking her son INTO the mine with her. Let's face it, 15 year olds are into video games these days. I know when my sons travelled with me, they always packed up their PS2 along with plenty of games for hotel time. And as far as something happening to Karren while SHE is down in the mine, well, we could all get hit by a meteor waiting on a bus in the morning, or struck by a car while waiting at a red light.

I know about OSHA regulations. My employer is the big bad Federal Government. I am covered to and from work, as well as any other business I attend to which is withing the scope of my job description, while driving my private vehicle. IF I am to have a passenger with me, I have to get written approval prior.

I also understand your reasoning for not taking your child to rock concerts with you regarding the 3/4 AM work hours. But what does that have to do with Karren's situation? Karren doesn't do back stage work at concerts.

This entire thing has turned into the proverbial mountain/molehill. LOL now to accuse me of being or projecting Paranoia??? Alllllrighty then!

Banned Read only
    Fiona,

Just curious...do they not have summer camps in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ
    Why was this thread even started? You have said in post after post here that family comes first, and now you have to start a thread to ask us what you should do?? Really - even asking this shows that you are having a hard time controling your CDing....

I am happy to see that most people here say that you should take the boy with you!!! Brilliant! But, what would you have done if they suggested otherwise? jean

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya
    Fiona,

Just curious...do they not have summer camps in Australia?
    Hi Vanya,

No, we don't. We do have school camps which are during the normal school term. Children start going to school camps at age 6/7 usually for no more than a weekend and often with a parent and building up to 1 week or 2 week adventure type camp at age 12 or beyond.

Of course, our summer school holidays are over the Christmas/New Year period when most go on extended family holidays anyway.

Fiona xx

Banned Read only
    Fiona,

What a shame.. some of my greatest times as a child was at summer camps.

Do you have Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts there?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya
    Fiona,

What a shame.. some of my greatest times as a child was at summer camps.

Do you have Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts there?
    I'm glad you have good memories. Yes we have Scouts but they are not as popular as they were in earlier decades.

We are a fairly sports oriented society and kids are more likely to get involved in sports, particularly team sports, and have trips with their team. Surf Life Saving Clubs are also popular and my daughter was involved in the local club until recently. I don't think Aussie kids suffer from a lack of opportunity for outdoor activity or adventure.

Fiona xx

Banned Read only
    It still amazes me the questions that get asked here. No wonder i'm on my way out.
    Last edited by Deborah; 07-06-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Banned Read only
    Hey without questions, who would know anything? And, given a range of opinions you will allways find something to agree with, and something to disagree with. Just like real life. Understanding is always worth the time.

Forum Administrators Forum Admin's Avatar
    Thread is closed.
    Forum Administrators

Please do NOT PM this account with section questions, if you have a question about post/thread/picture removal, please contact the Moderator of that section.