Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to pass?

Although I've never worn a skirt in public I do go out as a male wearing many other types of feminine attire. I wear girls jeans and shorts, unisex T shirts, girls jewelry, lip gloss and perfume. I'm also totally shaved and have long fingernails. I occassionally dressup all the way with wig and makeup but "passing" is not important to me. I feel very comfortable and natural as a feminized male. I do get stares sometimes but also get compliments too.
    Jamie

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    We all have our feelings about what cding is to us. For me, the dressing part is about something feminine on the inside, being expressed on the outside. Sometimes this femme feeling is strong and I want to dress all the way and try to pass as a woman..in public. Other times I just want to feel a little bit girly and so my dressing is partial dressing...in "girly boy mode" (obvious genetic male wearing obvious women's clothes, subtle makeup, jewelry etc).

That said, when I'm in girly boy mode I haven't worn a skirt (yet?). I'm a small person (5ft 4ins & 126 lbs) not at all hairy, or macho in attitude, and I tend to have a quiet voice. I don't know if this makes things easier when partially dressed in public, but I've never been laughed at or made to feel awkward. People do sometimes look at you but, Like JamieTG said in her post above, "I feel very comfortable and natural as a feminized male". Ditto.
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 07-16-2006 at 03:53 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Has been wanna be will be Nicola46's Avatar
    I guess its a personal choice. for me I would need to be as convincing as possible, as i cant shave my legs or eyebrows, i wouldnt go out in revealing things. Whrn im home alone, just femme things make me feel good.

Smile remaining a man in female clothes

Hi Emma,That is just about it. I don't really want to pass as a womman, rather be acccepted as a man in female clothes, which Is the case at home an with a lady friend who finds me attractive in pretty things. As far as going out into the open like that that is rather a different matter, though I do it a lot, when it is dark and I am taking the dog for a walk. A bit of a cheat though, as I am pretty sure I won't meet anybody where I walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England
    So many are worried about being able to pass.

I would like to venture out of the house. I am talking about in male mode but with ladies clothes.

Has anyone ever walked in public as a male but with shaved legs and a short skirt

Mmm, the high street or the beach? (Bit too hot for the beach though, as I do not like the heat).

It is a fantasy for me at the mo. But one I am very tempted to do, especially in another area with strangers looking at me (somehow that seems easier to do than with people who recognise you).

Oh I do want to pass as well, but that will take practise.

Your thoughts, please. Or am I just crazy

Unhappy Oh dear!!

Seems like some of you are a bit upset by this post.

I have no intention of offending any of the public. May still try to pass.

I only wanted everyones views before doing something stupid.

To me, what is wrong with a guy wearing a skirt

I've recently bought a denim miniskirt, which at a quick glance look almost like shorts. A new item of clothing should be shown off (why hide something that is nice )

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Bill
    Yes I have. I guess downtown Lawrence, Kansas might be described as "the high street".
    Ah, Lawrence Kansas, how I miss you! Was it Burroughs who sniffed out the hipness quotient there?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Bill
    There is not only no need to pass, but you might get more acceptance with your unabashed honesty.
    I believe this. I believe the fear we feel comes primarily from men and I suspect men primarily fear 'la la Lola.'

I will also add that, to my eyes, the fem experience goes elsewhere besides clothes and makeup from the 1950s. Isn't Patti Smith fem? Aren't 'hippie chicks'? Where are the Goth CDs?
    Last edited by Calliope; 07-16-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Gotta be girly

Seems like some of you are a bit upset by this post.
    No, no, doesn't seem like you've upset anyone to me, don't worry

I have no intention of offending any of the public. May still try to pass.

I only wanted everyones views before doing something stupid.
    The general concensus seems to be that you are unlikely to pass completely under close scrutiny but I suppose what counts as "close" depends on how convincing you can look ... or maybe how convincing you *think* you look - you can (she says hopefully) get away with quite alot if you can project a confident manner - certainly this seems to work for "guy with shaved legs".

To me, what is wrong with a guy wearing a skirt

I've recently bought a denim miniskirt, which at a quick glance look almost like shorts. A new item of clothing should be shown off (why hide something that is nice )
    I would agree that there isn't anything wrong with it but it will almost certainly get stares since it isn't "normal". I would doubt that you would encounter much malice but it would only be natural for people to stare at "guy in a skirt" since this is likely a new experience and therefore they'll stare.

Personally I would LOVE to go out into the big wide world and fully intend to be dressed up as girlie as is possible. I will still likely be read in under 30seconds! My plan to "avoid" being read is to simply to go out with friends who are likely to be GGs anyway so that helps a) get the make-up, outfit, etc right before going out and b) be in a group of drunken GGs - I'll blend right in
    Fiona

---
    Does my bum look big in this?

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/fionasboots

"passing"?

..I'd love to !! in spectacular ways ! hehe xx"K"
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

For me it's very important that I pass because I'm slowly working my way to being full time. I do pass most of the time but like a lot of us I'm sometimes read. I'm ususally dissappointed when it happens but carry on as best I can. Life gets easier as time go by.
    Kisses, Linda

How do one know that one passes ?

"is it necessary to pass"

for me no. from the first time I went out dressed without makeup to now, completely dressed. people read me for what I am, a man dressing to look like a woman. I do try to look the best I can. I also dress in just womens clothes as him without problems, Ive havnt gone as far as wearing a skirt (tho Ive thought about it, even have the support of my wife to do so) pretty sure most women can tell and most guys wouldnt notice unless its really fem. being read is part of the enjoyment, wife says I thrive on the attention I get, not me with long pink finger nails I posted a pic in another thread. I find most people are to tied up with thier lifes to notice. just like what afew others said it comes down to acceptance of ones self.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTripper
    Where are the Goth CDs?
    I goth up sometimes, but still prefer proper tights rather those long multi coloured goth thingies.

Got a few goth skirts and dresses in my closet, but they're a bit hot for summer

Hi.

It has been absolutely ages since I last posted, and dressed, 10 months, but who`s counting, but passing for as long as I have been dressing has been very important to me, just for your interest, here are some links to stories of me out and about last year.

This is a video of me at a petrol station.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/589530559...test/*sophie30

This is the thread of what it takes for me to try to pass.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16114

And here is another thread that may be worth a read about my first time out for ages.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7617

I am planning another in August, and I have been trying on some outfits this weekend I will post the pics in the gallery.

I hope you find my experiences helpful.

Sophie.

I'll never be able to "pass"
    But I enjoy crossdressing just the same!

Banned Read only

I would love to be able to pass

To go out as a woman but at 6’1” and big hands and feet and a long masculine face and low voice, it is not possible. Do not feel I could really “relax” or feel the part, unless I could pass. When I dress is it by myself and I do not look in the mirror. If I could look in the mirror and see a woman it would be great.

Don't worry, 99% of us will never pass but it does not mean we can not go out and enloy life... If we are not dressing provocative, no problem with people usually, just a few smile but it does not bother me!!!

We can get away with a lot more than we think at first

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieThomas
    "is it necessary to pass"

for me no. from the first time I went out dressed without makeup to now, completely dressed. people read me for what I am, a man dressing to look like a woman. I do try to look the best I can. I also dress in just womens clothes as him without problems, Ive havnt gone as far as wearing a skirt (tho Ive thought about it, even have the support of my wife to do so) pretty sure most women can tell and most guys wouldnt notice unless its really fem. being read is part of the enjoyment, wife says I thrive on the attention I get, not me with long pink finger nails I posted a pic in another thread. I find most people are to tied up with thier lifes to notice. just like what afew others said it comes down to acceptance of ones self.
    That is just about it: Accept yourself for what you are and feel. Looking good in female clothes without needing to hide the fact that you are a man. And it is amazing with what one can get away with if one carries it with enough selfconfidence. As a small example. I have taken to wearing necklesses ( definitely female ones) in public even while teaching and the only comments came from two or three ladies, who complimented me on how nice it looked.

The way I dress to go out makes me look like a butch GG, or an effemmenate guy. I am in womans clothes from skin out, have long nails clear polished, my own long hair, rings and bracelets. I'm comfortable and don't care what people think as they don't know me. Don't get mr wrong, I wouldn't go into a red neck bar or anything, I might be crazy in alot of ways(beside my CD) but I ain't stupid. Love and xxxx Lily

NickyJane so I takk it thats hot you in your aviatar
    Angie G.

My first time out was at a grocery store, good lord, you don't realize how WELL LIT those places are until you are in one and wishing they'd dim the lights!

You also don't realize how HARD it is to walk it high heels all over a grocery store when you're not use to walking that much in them.

I'm not sure if the looks I was getting from male employees and female clerks were looks of lust, jealousy, or 'what was that?'.

That was many years ago.

I've been out a few times since, but never in so well lit a place!

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cute_cd_paige
    [SIZE="3"]I myself would never dream of going out just in a skirt and no wig or make up , i guess im one of the ones trying to pass and when i get time to dress up i make sure i have plenty of time to put on everything , make up , nails ,wig etc.. it just doesnt feel right for me to not go all the way when im getting all dolled up[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Paige I'm with you, for me it's all or nothing, occasionally around the house might wear a cami top and Daisy Dukes, but other wise lacking jewerly I feel something is missing. For me passing is what it's all about.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

Silver Member
    Dear Emma,

In male mode but with shaved legs and short skirt. Hmmm. OK, why? Is your intent to shock? or to irritate? or just to get looked at?

I posted earlier about seeing a man at Border's Book Store who was clearly not trying to "pass", as he was big, well over 250lbs, well over 6ft tall, full beard, hairy legs, work boots, and a nice pleated navy skirt. My thought was, "well nobody is gonna mess with HIM". He didn't look "nice", he just looked like a guy in a skirt. Is that what you are trying to do? I think you could do this pretty easily, because it's clear that you are not trying to "fool" anyone. You're just a guy in a skirt. That's not too hard for people to accept these days. Butterfly Bill does that quite well in Oklahoma, and looks darn good too.

If you are trying to wear some feminine attire, with shaved legs, and still dress in drab, I'm not sure what you will accomplish. People will probably look at you if that's what you want. Maybe not though. Just try it. I shave my legs so when I wear shorts my legs are clearly bare, and noone has EVER said a word. I don't think anyone notices. But I don't mix my personas. When I wear just shorts and a shirt I am clearly male. When I wear a skirt I also wear my forms, nice top, nice shoes, I try to fix my hair to look nice, and I am learning to aply my makeup, so there is usually a touch of that also. I think that when I am out I am not just there for myself, but that I represent all of us and I try to present a pleasant and dignified appearance.

So, as others have said, "what ever floats your boat". Have a good time. That's what it's all about anyway.

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 07-24-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Passing is a cruel joke we impose on ourselves. We worry ourselves to death over the concerns of phantom clothing critics. Passing is done from the neck up (in your mind). So what you wear really has little bearing on passing to begin with. With that said, dress as you please.
    Hail Satin!

I for one would never go out wearing a skirt looking like a man never in a million years
    Love as always Jasminexxxxxxxx

Passing

At 6'1" and about 190, i have not much chance of passing, at least in daylight and would be an easy 'read' for vanilla's. But the times I do get to go out, it's total Terri time, full makeup, wig, dress or skirt and blouse, heels, stockings outside, femme and lacey underneath. I usually spend enough time getting ready, it's usually dark anyway when I get ready to drive off for some quality time outside.
    "The hardest to learn is the least complicated."-----Emily Saliers