Thread: Summer dresses and static electricity?!

Summer dresses and static electricity?!

Just recently got a new summer dress that falls just a bit below the knees. It's very light, fits just lovely and feels delightful swishing around on my legs. However, the fabric is a polyester/spandex combination. After wearing it for much of the day around the house... it started to slowly generate a bit of static electricity over time from the swishing. Especially rubbing up against the furniture and walls as I walk by. It wasn't extremely bad and wasn't really clinging to my legs... but I did get a little static crackle every now and then. Seems that everything is positively charged around here. Any ideas on how to keep the electromagnetic fields in my house from being so zappy/clingy?

Shannon S.
    Enjoying the art of femininity!

[SIZE="4"]Ya had me gigglin there! Its a nasty problem you got! But it coulda been worse! You might have had two odd size breast forms delivered! I hope you manage to sort it out![/SIZE]
    We have to weather the storm before we can enjoy the sunshine

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    There are anti static/cling products on the market that you can spray on your slip or hose. ( I wouldn't use it on the dress for fear it might stain it.)
    They are usually found in the laundry products section.

You can also rub those fabric softener dryer sheets on the dress to stop the static cling.

Ann Craven

A shocking exerience

How awful.I'd take it back to the shop and complain.
    At the worst you'll probably get your money back. Even better, you might get a nice top and a new outfit.
    Worth a try ?

Ann

Static

Rubbing glass on it should discharge it. Ericka

Your air is too dry in the house....I asume you have AC? Need a little humidity. That never happens to me in the summer, only in the winter when the heat comes on. Try Static Guard...ions in a can!!

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Thanks! The AC has been on for quite awhile here. I believe that might be the major part of the problem. I'll give Static Gaurd a whirl.

Shannon S.
    Enjoying the art of femininity!

besides the "Static Guard" spray, if you use the fabric softener dryer sheets, rub it along the inside of the skirt, or over your hose.
    DonnaT

I don't know of any practical way to deal with ESD(Electro Static Discharge) around the house. All you can really do is "ground" yourself periodically. Higher humidity will also decrease static buildup. I wouldn't go to the gas station wearing that dress. Sounds really cute, though. Do you have a picture?

Vikki

Years ago, while taking a class on pc repairs and upgrades, the technician said when he traveled to Alaska during the winter months, he had to carry a sheet of "bounch" anti-static sheets in his back pocket to reduce the static buildup. These sheets are availabe in the laundry aisle of your grocery store

hugs misty

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon S.
    Just recently got a new summer dress that falls just a bit below the knees. It's very light, fits just lovely and feels delightful swishing around on my legs. However, the fabric is a polyester/spandex combination. After wearing it for much of the day around the house... it started to slowly generate a bit of static electricity over time from the swishing. Especially rubbing up against the furniture and walls as I walk by. It wasn't extremely bad and wasn't really clinging to my legs... but I did get a little static crackle every now and then. Seems that everything is positively charged around here. Any ideas on how to keep the electromagnetic fields in my house from being so zappy/clingy?

Shannon S.
    Hi, there is a can of stuff called static cling I think and you spray your clothes with that and it takes care of it

I wear lots of static-y fabrics in male and female mode. I've always used static guard spray and never had any staining problems. It works really well for me in the dry winter months.

At a nearby hamfest a couple weeks ago, I saw just what you need: conductive rubber grounding straps! People used to install them hanging down from their cars, to reduce static build-up affecting radio reception among other things, and of course aircraft have static dissipator devices also.

More seriously, all I need to do is open my front door for a few seconds and allow a few cubic feet of 78 degree dewpoint air into the house. Now in winter, I know exactly what you mean. Fabric softener helps. I carry a neon light bulb with resistor around with me before I touch anything with my bare skin, so as to avoid the (painful) high current discharges. Kind of lightens up the place too, HI HI.
    Hugs,

Bernice