Thread: Carry Letter

Amy M2F Transsexual RiversideCT's Avatar

Carry Letter

I am told that I should have something called a "carry" letter. Something from my therapist or psychiatrist that states and I am a transsexual and that I am under their care. I did get an example of the letter from a friend but it stated much more than I am at at this point. I am not full time, and not under the care of a "program". Neither my therapist nor psychiatrist will give me such a letter.

Is there any "official" format to this letter?
    Can someone help me to what this should say?
    AMY

Getting wet looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
    Hi Amy

The mythical "Get out of Jail Free" card?

I've been full time for 4 months now, and i have never been remotely in a situation where i have to show a GOOJF, Yes i've had to prove my ID with a copy of my statutory declaration a few times, but that's entirely because i can't change my ID's and get the F in the sex box without a letter from my Gender Clinic Consultant, and i won't be getting that until the next time i see him. Once i get my ID's changed, a GOOJF won't be neccesary...

As for how to get one, i'd imagine the only way you'd get one is to get on a "programme", but i have no idea how to go about that in the USA. Why won't your psychiatrist give you a GOOJF?

I'd have thought that in this day and age, a GOOJF isn't neccessary.

Rebecca

Amy M2F Transsexual RiversideCT's Avatar
    I'm just repeating what I was told by others that I should have it.
    I have no programs available to me here (well this is one but my wife will not allow it because of a prior conflict). Things are a little backward in the USA.
    AMY

GypsyKaren
    I had to use mine once with a police officer over the "ladies room" issue, so to speak. While he wasn't overly impressed by it, it did let him know that I was not a perv or something, but I really think my being polite to him did more for me than the letter. It's really just to let the police know that you're not going around dressed in order to commit fraud or a crime, so it's not exactly Mastercard.

Karen

Not just a pig-n-lipstick
    Geeez, a whole bunch of terrorists can get legal driver's licenses with fake names but a real citizen can't get one with a different gender box checked!?

It might be worth going into the DMV en femme and just get a state ID card, what are they going to do, require you to lift your dress?

Getting wet looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Geeez, a whole bunch of terrorists can get legal driver's licenses with fake names but a real citizen can't get one with a different gender box checked!?

It might be worth going into the DMV en femme and just get a state ID card, what are they going to do, require you to lift your dress?
    Hi Ellie.

In the UK, i could send them a copy of my stat Dec and they would send me out a new DL with my new name on it, and my new picture, but they wouldn't change the number that is the gender nominator.

To do that, I need a letter from my psychiatrist saying my gender change is permanant. It's the system, and i guess i'll just wait until i get that letter. I'm not intending to get myself in any trouble. I've managed to get this far without it!

Rebecca

from what i know of these letters they are simply an attempt to give some authority and respect to your arguement that you arent doing anything wrong.

in certain circumstances you being dressed or going about your business might be seen as a security risk or as karen said, a way for some perv to go peek at the ladies.

if you have a letter from a pshrink (or similar) stating that this is who you are, then you might find it helps strengthen your arguement if someone has any problems with you.

your pshrink should be able (and willing) to give you some form of letter if you really desire it, as i have seen letters given to CD'ers who simply want it stated that they have a habit of wearing womens clothing. therefore if they are stopped by a police officer on some minor offence, but they come to the conclussion that you might be dressed as a woman to commit some crime, ie in a disguise, then they have something to tell them otherwise and something that they can follow up on.

personally, i dont give much to these letters .. i think that what karen said is the best option you have - be nice to anyone who questions you and just go about your business. i do think that its the polite attitude and not the letter that actually does anything.

i do not have such a letter.. here in oz i dont see the point in carrying such letters ... though i know some do .. as its not illegal to dress in girly clothes and its not illegal to use a female toilet .. etc etc ..
    ive been stopped by police several times as our area has a spot that they love to use for random breath testing (for drink driving) and they have always been pleasant, helpful and not one of them battered an eyelid.
    this is including experienced officers and the cadets that were being trained in how to use the equipment.

be nice and helpful if an officer stops you .. if it goes past that, then i guess you could always tell them to call your therapist to verify your story if there is any doubt still.

thats my
    ~They say I'm different, well I'm not the same. - Sevendust~

I know some who have them and some who don't. It really depends how you approach life in general. If you can be honest and upfront, and I know that is hard when it comes to personal information, then you don't need one. I have been just fine in some awkward circumstances. Normally, at worst, all I do is just tell it like it is. I say I'm having a sex-change and that they should ind their own business in future and the problem dissappears. I can think of only 2 instances in the last year I've had to do that.

If you can't be that frank, then go get a letter, but don't except miracles. People are going to react the same way regardless of whether you tell them through someone else's writing or by yourself. A doctors credibility might help, so ensure anything you get that is written by a qualified medical doctor i.e. a medically qualified person that is entitled to use the letter "Dr." in their title.
    My first book, The Shipping Mistake, has been published. It's about all my pre-op years, since I was a child.

It is available for purchase at the following links online:

Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Lulu (the printer)

You can download a free preview by following any of the book links at Lulu

Each State/Country Different

In good ole Virginia it is against the law to wear a disguise. Wig, makeup, etc., qualifies. Don't know what they would do if they enforced the law, especially on Halloween.

My guess is if you are not doing anthing to draw to much attention it really is not needed. My therapist gave me mine after two weeks so it is not a big deal and if stopped you are covered.

Kelli