Thread: Is there a Secret for Fastening Stockings with a Garter Belt

Is there a Secret for Fastening Stockings with a Garter Belt

Does anyone know a secret for fastening (and keeping them fastened) stockings and garter belts?

Silver Member
    Dear Jennifer,

No secret. It is, however, difficult to explain in print. What kind of problems are you having? This is something I thought everyone knew. Isn't there someone who can show you? Perhaps there is a website where you could see a picture. It is really pretty simple. The stocking is caught between the hard rubber tab in back and the wire clip in front. The hard rubber tab slides down into the clip jamming the stocking in place. It does occaisionally come undone as I can remember from my early years when there was no other way for girls to hold up their stockings.

Maybe someone else can find a picture on line somewhere.

Steph

Garter belts

No secret, Hon. Just clip them on. They always stayed for me. Ericka

I always find the backs more difficult, but I just keep trying until I get them to stay.

Hugs.

Sometimes the clips don't hold well. What i do is use some needle nose pliers, and pinch the two loops together a little. Do this in the small part of the loops. Keeps the rubber tab from sliding out with the stocking tops.

My Mothers other Daughter Janelle Young's Avatar
    The only tip I can give is to do the backs first, then do the fronts of the stockings. This tends to keep the backs straight, not a big deal if the stockings do not have seams. If they do it is a big deal. I have also found that different garter belts are easier to use than others. For me the ones with metal 'hoops' seam to be easier to attach than the ones with plastic 'hoops'.
    Feeling and looking great

Jasmine and Donna

Swiss Miss

Banned Read only
    I have noticed that there seems to be differences between clasps on some garterbelts. I have a couple, I think I got from Fredericks, that seem to fit so tight that there is little or no room for a stocking to fit it. Another thing I have noticed is that some of the lacetop stockings are often too thick in certain areas, like where the rubber is on them, If you are trying to hook up the lacetop kinds, try placing the clasp on an area where the design is thinnest, close to the top edge. That usually works for me. I have broke a few in my haste trying to force fit some it seems, That always makes me sad

Good luck

Vera

A Lot may depend on the quality of the garter belt

The better ones have better clips to keep the stocking secure
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

i've found that putting the back tab all the way into the large hole in the frame and holding it in place with one hand, I pull on the garter strap and there it goes, right down into the narrow part of the frame. If the tab isn't in straight, it ain't gonna work. After a couple of times it will be a piece of cake. Enjoy! Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

stockings with garters

This is embarrassing! I have worn women's hose for so long with garter belts and girdles that I don't even think about it now when I get dressed, it's automatic!

I remember the first time I tried hooking stockings to a girdle when I was 11. I thought the back garters were on backwards but that's just the way it feels when you are wearing the stuff.

Anyway, grab the hose in one hand and the "pip" the round end of the garter tab and push it into the stocking then pull the metal (hopefully it's metal because plastic is no good) hoop over the pip and push it down into position.

The best way to put on real hose is to garter up before you pull the garter belt all the way up. Then you'll have a snug fit and most likely never a garter failure. Just don't garter too tight.

garters

Oh, gotta add a comment:

There are several types and styles of garters. No stretch, moderate stretch and the total stretch.

No stretch sucks because all it does is chew up expensive nylons. Bought a belt at Frederic's of Hollywood and the non stretch band it too tight and pulls too hard.

The JC Pennies "garter belt for looks" deal is just that, it doesn't work for real stockings. The straps stretch a foot, therefore useless.

All women's intimate apparel companies used to use a limited stretch garter, which would give a bit but keep the stocking snug and not over tight. This is the type to look for. They still make these but as time goes on the idea of a comfortable garter is fading, Quick!

I have a garter belt that one clip comes loose I think it's that the belt is of a low quality try a better belt hun.
    Angie G.

Banned Read only
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE] I have been having good luck with several garterbelt styles that I get at Target. Garter hose attaches easily, and with care, I can even attach thigh highs if I am careful where I make the attachment. Since I have the straps pretty well sized, I pull the garterbelt down below my waist and attach the back ones first. The style I like best is labeled 'mini skirt'. I prefer to have almost all of the straps show since I like really short minis. I prefer fishnet hose, with black and smoke close seconds. Except for when I a going out in 'genteel' paces like restaurants, I do dress a bit on the wild side. For those more conservative venues I tend to wear skirts just at the knee or slightly below. For ankle length evening wear, I still wear garterbelts and hose even when calf highs would do, because I find the feeling of the garter straps movements as a sensual turn on for me.

Banned Read only
    Practice, practice, practice...

Glamerous Granny carolinewalker_2000's Avatar
    Clipping stockings to garter belts can be a pain. I always fasten the front clips first and then struggle with the back ones.

My difficulties arise later; firstly a typical male waist (ie a bit of a gut!) tends to result in the belt slipping down over time. I guess this is due to a lack of feminine hips about which I can do nothing (but I could work on reducing the gut!!).

The second issue I have is that belts with only two clips tend to result in the inside of the stocking welt creeping down - a bit unsightly, particularly when wearing a short skirt! recently I have taken to wearing garter belts with six, or even eight, clips. They are even more of a struggle to get on initally, but are more comfortable in the longer term and do keep the stocking tightly gartered.

Hope this helps.

Again no secret just take your time and practice. Try it a few time when you are not wearing them. Then when you are dressing take your time it is always so much morre sensual too.

Huggs Kitt

I usually put the rubber part into place first, push it "through" the nylon so to have it well "out" of the stocking, and then put clasp on. To fasten the clasp better, it's usually good to keep the rubber part with one finger on both sides, and pull the clasp towards me.

attach garters...

right girls!

If you came to visit videochat I'll be happy to show

bye
    sheermary

Kitt & Lucille both have excellent sugggestions. It's easier to see how to get the clasp to work correctly with the stockings in your hands, not on your legs.

As Lucille said, make sure it is nicely wrapped around the 'peg', but it is important that the fabric isn't stretched in the clasp, or it will just spring out again.

To find where to best clip the garters to the stockings, stand straight up, looking forward & let the straps hang. Just attach each strap to the stockings at the point it is hanging over. This will minimize the sideways tension on the clasps, reducing the chance of slipping.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Well there is always a trick to everything and it basically matching the proper garter to the proper stocking. If you have the larger style garters that come on girdles and corsets you should not be having any problems.

Its more likely the smaller garter belts that you get noadays that gives you a fit. And the secret is to use them with a non-self supporting sheer stockings and pull enough nylon through the eyelet so that the wings of the rubber lock seat properly over the metal eyelet..

And I have had success in using older self supporting thigh highs that have lost their self supporting capability with the smaller garters but you have to pick your garter placement properly. Go for the thin areas especially on the ones with a flowery pattern. And stay away from the rubberized support strips. But making sure enough nylon is brought through the eyelet is improtant else the little locking wings will be depressed and will not seat properly into the eyelet..

Sometimes its difficult to attach a garter to nylons that are on your leg especially the back ones, so attach the back ones before you put on the stocking. And if you get all 4 or 6 fastened well and plan to wear then again soon, just leave the garters attached.

Ohh. Just be careful how you put them back on....you could end up hurting yourself and cutting off cuirculation to nearby organs if installed improperly. Hehehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Ohhhh. And I almost forgot... If you want the best ever garter belt. And real mans man garter belt....head down to the hockey supply store and pick up a hockey garter belt. Yeah real men do wear garter belts!! LOL. These will hold up those heavy wollen stocking or about 20 pair of thigh highs worn at the same time...a big plus for you extremely hairy girls that don't shave. .

But sorry, this offer is only available where ice hockey is played even though I feel that citys that don't have ice naturally occuring shouldn't have NHL teams!!! Hehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

and just in case the rubber backing breaks, always keep a little button handy, one that will fit through the clip. A trick my wife told me about, when my cheap garter belt started to let my stockings go south. Sharon.

Backs First and Metal Garters Seem to be the Solution

Backs first and metal hooks/ clasps seem to be the main secret ...

url for help

http://howtouniverse.com/FF/stockgs.html.

Hope it helps everyone who is new like me :-)