Thread: crossdressing and neophilia ?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

crossdressing and neophilia ?

September 2006 Harper's magazine, "Findings":

People whose bodies produce a specific cellular emzyme know nas monoamine oxidase A are more likely to be neophiliacs, a condition that manifests itself as an incessant need for newness.
    Hmmm... is that why we shop so much?

Yes. New clothes. Please don't get between my parking space and the Mall entrance. Thank You!

"People whose bodies produce a specific cellular emzyme know nas monoamine oxidase A are more likely to be neophiliacs, a condition that manifests itself as an incessant need for newness."

How does this thing spread? Send me a vial!
    "I Used to Have a Handle on Life, But It Broke"

I like new shoes, but things like coats, nighties and bras I tend to use till they disintergrate... Must have a faulty valve somewhere.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

I get heavy doubts if Harpers uses words like "monoamine oxidase A".
    I think they are just happy that they know how to spell it (oh, probably used a spell checker).
    They should stick to their own business.

Necrophilia ?? Blimey - I know we're supposed to be enlightened and all but.. that takes the biscuit..

Quote Originally Posted by Marla S View Post
    I get heavy doubts if Harpers uses words like "monoamine oxidase A".
    The "Findings" section of Harpers is someone's very condensed summary of recent scientific reports.

Checking around, I see that the original research was at Yamagata University School of Medicine in Japan, the article appeared in Psychatric Genetics 2006 Apr;16(2):55-8, the article title was "Monoamine oxidase A gene promoter polymorphism affects novelty seeking and reward dependence in healthy study participants."; the authors were Shiraishi H, Suzuki A, Fukasawa T, Aoshima T, Ujiie Y, Ishii G, Otani K.

neophiliacs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg I thought you was saying we like to sleep with the dead

I always feel the need for newness in my life, I am a gemini, I dont beleive in all that stars crap but the dual personality thing strikes true wih me and many other Geminis i met,
    someone else has been paid thousands again to come up with these study results again no doubt! why are people always trying to get inside others heads are they really that fed up with life.

great post though, gets you thinking, wish they would pay me for it though, could do a whole lot more thinkin that way.

n1
    Kate xx Home at last

"Used to be a sweet boy
    Holding so tightly
    To Daddy's hand
    But that was all
    In some distant land"

Morrisey

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    The "Findings" section of Harpers is someone's very condensed summary of recent scientific reports.

Checking around, I see that the original research was at Yamagata University School of Medicine in Japan, the article appeared in Psychatric Genetics 2006 Apr;16(2):55-8, the article title was "Monoamine oxidase A gene promoter polymorphism affects novelty seeking and reward dependence in healthy study participants."; the authors were Shiraishi H, Suzuki A, Fukasawa T, Aoshima T, Ujiie Y, Ishii G, Otani K.
    Thanks for the reference. That's something.
    Intersting, but I am still sceptical, though. My experiences as a scientist (ex-scientist now) tell me that one has to be very careful with the interpretation of scientific results if one tries to draw conclusions in comparison with statistical results.
    The title of the paper "... affects ..." (a weak term) and its interpretation "... more likely ..." (even weaker) would be translated: They found something, but are not sure what.
    Well, scientists need money too

Neophilism sounds like a Corporate project to get people to buy more stuff just because it's new. Probably a big secret lab somewhere putting something into the drinking water...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NighttimeGirl View Post
    I always feel the need for newness in my life, I am a gemini, I dont beleive in all that stars crap but the dual personality thing strikes true wih me and many other Geminis i met,
    As a non-practicing Gemini, I can't help wondering whether anyone has looked through the birthday calendar to determine whether there is a correlation between birthdate and crossdressing?