Thread: Came out to my mom, partially

Aspiring Member

Came out to my mom, partially

I live far away from my parents, but last week, my mom came to visit me for 5 days.

Before that, I had already sent her pictures of me crossdressing at an anime convention. Being that it was an anime convention where people dress up anyway, crossdressing isn't an extreme step, so I didn't necessarily out myself to her if she reacted badly. She said that I looked like a pretty girl though, and was impressed in the same way she'd be impressed at me doing something well.

So I did something bold/reckless: I met her at the airport en femme!

She thought it was funny, but freaky. Freaky, because she could tell at a glance that my wig was fake, and she thought my face looked like a man (to her, I passed in photographs but not in real life). She also told me to stop speaking in "that weird voice" (my femme voice, which I was using since we were in public, but I stopped once we were alone).

She allowed me to take some pictures of her with me (sorry I can't post them here---I'm stealth in some places), but she didn't want to go out to lunch with me dressed like that since my "hair looks awful" in her words.

I wonder if this implies she WOULD go out to lunch with me en femme, if I did a better job passing, or was she just using "hair looks awful" as an excuse...

So now, she knows I CD, and seems to be okay with it!

She doesn't know I'm TG though. She told me last night, while speaking in general (not about CD/TG issues per se): "Even if I don't agree with everything you do, I will support you. You'll always be my son." I cringed a bit at the "son" part, but she always calls me that so it's just her not being sensitive about using gender-inspecific pronouns.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what mom's are thinking. It sounds like yours is doing a pretty good job handling it - she might be calling you 'son' as a way of telling you 'this is all just fun, right?' I'm a closeted CD right now (my wife knows), but have gotten reckless recently and while staying at my mom's last weekend I was in a scarlet cami in her bedroom she lets us use, and realized she had been in the room and had likely seen me. She gave me a funny grin when I said good morning. She had 4 boys, so maybe I'm the daughter she never had, and she's secretly happy. I'm not ready to come out like you have yet. Maybe some day. And she'll probably say "I know dear, I have for a long time."

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Big first step - a bit wreckless perhaps (could have backfired big time) - but a good start nonetheless.

As you didn't give mom much choice with regards to 'accepting' you, I'd tread a bit lightly from here. Give her a chance to process it all and then perhaps have a talk with her as to where you think this may be going. As I see it, it's more important she accept you and your choices as a person than you two having lunch out together. She'll get there, just give her some time.

Congrats!

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Last edited by Ms. Donna; 10-17-2006 at 06:24 PM.
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

Aspiring Member
    Oh yeah, something else I remembered: I told her that I bought a pair of pants, but it was a bit too long. She hemmed them for me, knowing that I only wear that pair of pants en femme.

She was talking to her husband (my stepfather) on the phone, saying "<my name> has turned into a really nice boy. And he's really patient and interested. [Of] all the boys I know, I like him the best... [even compared to] the girls." Note this was after we got back from her getting a manicure, and the previous day, we were out browsing the stores for clothing/shoes. (Guess why I was interested? lol) Compare this to when she went shopping with me when I was a little boy---I'd get impatient pretty quick and be whining to her that I want to go home.
    Last edited by JenniferMint; 10-17-2006 at 07:26 PM.

hi Jennifer

the fact that your mom knows a little bit about you and it went over somewhat well don't you think you should tell her the truth it can't hurt. you are 3/4 of the way there. it's the rest of the family you have to worry about and then you will feel much better about yourself please try i hope all goes well for you...
    PS.. stealth !!! i think you will find you are safe here. i posted my pic here but then again I've been out for two years i have nothing to hide.

hugs Marissa

Aspiring Member
    The rest of my family isn't that significant. I have no brothers/sisters, I don't interact with my extended family. So it's just my mother and stepfather, and I think if my mother accepts it, then my stepfather also will.

Jennifer, I got the same "you'll always be my son no matter what" from my dad after I poured it all out to him. Yeah, its kinda like "are you hearing what I am saying to you?"
    Sarah

"So Often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key" The Eagles