Thread: Waitress didn't recognize me en femme!

Aspiring Member

Waitress didn't recognize me en femme!

Today, I went to a restaurant en femme with a friend from out of town. I've frequented this particular restaurant many times, although always in drab. It's fairly small, only one or two waitresses at all times.

After we ate (we were served by the waitress who I usually don't see), I went to pay the bill and met the other waitress. I asked her if I recognized who I was. She had no idea!!

She only realized it was me after seeing my credit card (which looks fairly unique). She was like "oh my god! You look different!". (This was in a very GLBT friendly neighborhood btw.)

I was surprised. Last time I went to a different restaurant like this, I got recognized immediately.

Recognizing someone, or more generally something, is influenced a lot by what you expect to see in that place and under the circumstances.

Often when you look for a book, for example and in your memory it was a "red-cover" book while in reality it was a purple one, then it is likely that you won't find the book on the shelves.

Likewise, if the waitress didn't expect to see you "en femme" she had no reason to recognize you.

I had a similar experience to yours, hat is of not being recognized. I was with a GG friend whom I had been coming out. I showed her a picture of me (the one on my avatar) and asked her if she knew that woman? She replied: "no, I don't." Since she had never seen me dressed "en femme" with a wig and all made up, her expectations were not atuned to recognize me.

This sort of gave me some more confidence about goint out...

Eugenie

Jennifer Mint pictures

Jennifer,
    We have read so many of your posts, and you seem like such an interesting person! Where can we see some pictures?
    Doreen

Jennifer well you did some right hun
    Angie