Thread: Sizing chart change

Sizing chart change

I bought a white shirt the other day and tried it on. I have been a size 14 for a while but this shirt was tight. I don't understand. The new stuff I bought, some of it doesn't fit and the sizing chart says that it was my size. I took it back and bought a 16. the fit was a little tight in the chest. I changed it for an 18 and it fits great.

before I took the other shirt back I compared it to the rest of my outfits and they all said the same thing. size 14, except that the 14 I bought was smaller.
    SO, was there a size change and no one told me?

I haven't noticed anything big. Very mfg specific as to the size and since I try most things on its not a problem.

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Lipstick Lez at heart! celtic.blue.eyes's Avatar

Welcome to the world of women's sizing

What you're finding out is that a numeric size in women's clothes is just a general guide line. For instance, I wear a size 12 in Gap jeans, but a 14 or 16 in some other brands. Even then, actual measurements of a given numeric size may not be consistent in the product line of a single manufacturer. And then there is "Vanity Sizing", which is assigning a smaller numeric size to something whose actual measurements have traditionally been a larger size. The point is all psychological. If you traditionally fit into a size 16, and found that a size 14 now fit, it would make you feel good, and you would probably buy it. The bottom line is that the "standards" in women's sizing are very loose.

My solution has been to buy a very small tape measure that attaches to my key chain. I know what measurements are important to me, so I just measure the clothes before I buy them. It's rare that somethng has to be returned.
    God's finest work of art is that of a beautiful woman.

If you bought an article made in the UK then the sizing is one smaller so a 16 is theoretically a North American 14. My experience is that even at that it is a little tight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

As a side note to Vanity Sizing (which the Gap is particularly guilty of), it seems that a lot of stores are also expanding what sizes are what, to take into account the general expansion of the American woman. While an XL ten years ago (when I was roughly the same size I am now) was snug, now I can fit in a Large at a lot of stores.

Also, button-front shirts tend to be a little less accomodating to a male chest width. We tend to have a broader build across the chest, and the tailored cut of a button-front leaves very little room for error in the fit.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Time Of Year

Also keep in mind the time of year. The same Mfrs. make an item, let's say size 14 jeans, larger for the spring (assuming that you gained weight over the winter) and closer to 14 in the fall (you lost weight over the summer), so it's best to measure the clothes or try them on first.

Sizing is like Lotto lucky numbers...
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

There is quite a useful size guide on the evans website www.evans.co.uk. I find the sizes vary from shop to shop, the tape measure idea is fantastic. At te mo, i tend to buy slightly bigger than slighty smaller, cos there is nothing worse than getting home and not being able to fit into it! AGGGHHH! lol Soph

hi girls i shop at thrift stores value village my fav but i found the same thing it depends on the make and were it was made. what i did was get a string tie it around my waste it will give your size then i take it with me and just hold the string in both hands with the skirt or pants or dress at the hips and that way i can pick up the cloths and try them on and i don't have to keep going back to try on other cloths plus i get more that fit first time around..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Lynn100 View Post
    What you're finding out is that a numeric size in women's clothes is just a general guide line. For instance, I wear a size 12 in Gap jeans, but a 14 or 16 in some other brands. Even then, actual measurements of a given numeric size may not be consistent in the product line of a single manufacturer. And then there is "Vanity Sizing", which is assigning a smaller numeric size to something whose actual measurements have traditionally been a larger size. The point is all psychological. If you traditionally fit into a size 16, and found that a size 14 now fit, it would make you feel good, and you would probably buy it. The bottom line is that the "standards" in women's sizing are very loose.

My solution has been to buy a very small tape measure that attaches to my key chain. I know what measurements are important to me, so I just measure the clothes before I buy them. It's rare that somethng has to be returned.
    The above is so true. Size in womens clothing is always only a guide line. I generally wear size 16, but I can wear some size 14's and sometimes have to buy size 18. I do love it when I can fit into a size 14. Now if I could only be a 12!!!

Sissy

More Girl than man

A trick

I have hound that for us plus size folks it is sometimes quite difficult to find clothes that fit. As was mentioned an XL in one brand may be a L in another.

I carry a length of string with me. I wrapped it around my bust and tied a knot. I then wrap the same string around my waist and hips and did the same thing. You then just double the string to the appropriate knot and stretch it over the garment in the appropriate place and you get the correct fit. When finished I just wrap the string around my wrist and off I go. That way I don't have to worry about the size as much. They drive me nuts. I have a size 18P dress that fits me just as well as a size 16W. And the maternity dress my wife gave me that she wore in the 70's is a 14 so go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabie View Post
    I bought a white shirt the other day and tried it on. I have been a size 14 for a while but this shirt was tight. I don't understand. The new stuff I bought, some of it doesn't fit and the sizing chart says that it was my size. I took it back and bought a 16. the fit was a little tight in the chest. I changed it for an 18 and it fits great.

before I took the other shirt back I compared it to the rest of my outfits and they all said the same thing. size 14, except that the 14 I bought was smaller.
    SO, was there a size change and no one told me?
    It's hard to say, but the shirt may have originally been made for somewhere else where size 14 is not the same size as size 14 where you are. I can tell you right now that size 14 in Australia is not the same size as size 14 in the US.

Wow, these threads get buried so quickly lately Just to add my 2p, in the UK we have shops that will sell nice clothes, the sizing fits well and acurately to the size you are. However, then come the 'cheaper clothing' shops, these clothes look just as nice, the material is okish... but... these clothes are just a cheap ripoff of the original and what manufacturers do is they don't cut them to size. They don't take into account the hems etc... it's basically placed on the top of the original item and cut around it..... seriously..... it's really lame, thus making you think you are bigger than what you really are. I'm a size UK 16 top and UK 14 bottoms, but I have a top I've just bought which is a size 18.... made me rather mad too (or maybe I've put weight on )

So, go by the sizing charts and if something doesn't fit, measure it before you take it back.... some of these cowboy shops won't refund something, but if it states it's a certain size.... and it isn't.... how can they refuse?
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 10-26-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: gads my spelling sucks too :(
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Sizing is definitely manufacturer specific. Each has its own customer target audience. For example, Ann Taylor and Talbots have very different waist sizes for the same dress or pant size. I always try to find a sizing chart to get an idea which size will most likely fit me correctly.

We sell a lot of things on ebay and I would say that everybodies measurements are different. I have seen a small item being bigger that a large item of the same thing (different Manufacturer). It is really strange about the sizes. I have bought things by one Manufacturer in a size 18 that fit perfect then buy something else and find that it's to small and have to go up a size or 2. If you buy something off Ebay make sure you ask the measurements as they can really be a lot different. I have seen where a size 20 dress have a 40 inch waist and another size 20 dress have a 18 inch waist. When it comes to Large, Extra Large, and Extra Extra Large, or L, XL, XXL, or L, 1X, 2X and the like always go by the measurements. This will make you a much happier buyer. I HATE it when I buy something and you get it home (dieing to wear it) and it does not fit.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Im a guy who likes bras Theresa(TGirl)'s Avatar
    my sister has said that certain brands of jeans don't fit her right (same number as others, just too tight)
    *hugs and kisses*

Terri

i find that my misses size 10 fits perfectly but only after she has worn it a few times

Heels and jeans rule! Rachael Turner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    As a side note to Vanity Sizing (which the Gap is particularly guilty of), it seems that a lot of stores are also expanding what sizes are what, to take into account the general expansion of the American woman. While an XL ten years ago (when I was roughly the same size I am now) was snug, now I can fit in a Large at a lot of stores.

Also, button-front shirts tend to be a little less accomodating to a male chest width. We tend to have a broader build across the chest, and the tailored cut of a button-front leaves very little room for error in the fit.

Im an 8 pretty much everywhere but the Gap where Im a 6. I have a pair of CK jeans that are a 6 as well but I have to do the old lay on the bed and pry to get them on.

I bought two identical exercise, racer back, tops (except for color) at Target, one fit easily, one had to be stretched.
    DonnaT

Platinum Member
    i wear size 8 to 10 bottoms jeans ans skirts .... and medium tops ....and sometimes you just look at something and say no way that's going to fit....you just have to relay carefully when shopping or try it on.....

I agree you cannot rely on the quoted size being accurate. Consequently it is important to only buy from stores that will give refunds or allow an exchange.

This of course is no help for those who buy from charity shops or through ebay
    'What the caterpillar perceives is the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning'