Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CD's playing guitars?????

CD's playing guitars?????

I have long noted from surfing the TG/CD sites, that OMG....so many of us girls are musicians and especially play guitar...(strats abound in pictures!)

A few years back I saw an all TG rock band in Seattle...I was SOOOOOOO
    envious. Nothing hotter than wearing a short mini, tall heels, and slappin' your strat. I wish I could do that in public.

Do you think there is some connection to performing on stage, playing guitar(or whatever) in a band, and loving to dress? Something about having an "artsy brain" and voyouorism? (if TG/CD's are indeed voyour). Is there maybe a psychological profile connection?

Now everytime I visit a music store and see some skinny musician ripp'n in the sound room...I kinda wonder..."Dude, you play well...do you dress"?

Gold Member
    I remember seeing Joan Jett a few years back (2003) and her lead guitar player wore a red leather mini and fishnets, don't know if he was a dresser with his Mohawk hair cut.

Hey hey! I've got a total of three strat-style guitars sitting right next to me! You might be on to something...

Weren't The New York Dolls the first ever transvestite band? I must confess I've never heard any of their stuff though.

Rock on, grrls!

Sejd
    I have begun dreaming about the day when I perform "en femme" playing my Taylor and singing my heart out. Have been contemplating writing some songs about being a CD. I don't think that being a CD has anything to do with being a performer, but it is also true that there are many musicians and arts people in the TG comunity.
    huggs
    Sejd

I've got a Takomine electro-acoustic myself, and never got beyond chords. But I did get up with the band at my daughter's wedding and played Status Quo's Caroline (daughter's name is Caroline). What a blast! First time I'd ever played to an audience, and they loved it. Nobody except the band knew it was going to happen, and most of them didn't even knew I could play a guitar.

Someone made a DVD of the whole day, and listening to myself in the cold light of day, it didn't sound quite so good. I didn't give up my day job!!!

Tony

No Strats here, but I do have a 1961 Jazzmaster that I recently had work done on to replace a faulty pickup and get everything working correctly again.

Sounds great now!

Carol
    My name is Carol.

This fall I bought the top end Takamine, 12 string acoustical as a graduate present to myself for having my daughter graduate from college. No more tuition payments. It's a nice compliment to my Martin acoustical and Fender Jazzbass.

We are a talented lot!!

cd musicians

hey whadya know! i sing in a band, and play guitar. Although I stick with the singing on stage. My guitar playing ain't stage worthy. But I do have a strat. And a bass for that matter.

as it turns out, most of my rock-n-roll heroes have at one time or another appeared on stage in drag.

maynard (tool, Perfect Circle)
    Scott wieland (STP)
    marilyn manson
    Kurt Cobain

My only heroes that don't make the CD list are Pink Floyd. However, it was rumoured that Syd Barrett (rest his soul) had "private" cd tendencies.

I've yet to perform in drag. Members of my band might think I'm a little to good at it and know it's more than a stage gimmick.Wife would appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I do get that same feeling of creativity when dressing as i do when playing music.Mabye next time I dress i'll pick up the old axe and see what comes out.
    I do believe there is a direct link between open mindedness and creativity.

dann
    dann

"It's a great big white world, if we are drained of our colors."

"Think for yourself. Question authority"

Julogden, you have a 1961 Jazzmaster? Those are worth BIG bucks! It must be a joy to play.
    Me, I'm a bass player, was in rock and roll bands for 20 years before job scheduling brought that to an end. When I was quite a bit younger I used to get dressed and try to write songs. I'm not a great song writer, but I have a few that I like. I have always wanted to perform as a woman, my voice is not as high as I would like, but I can cover Stevie Nicks and Cheryl Crow, wish I could cover Heart! Oh well nothing's perfect.
    I can play chords on a 6 string, but that doesn't make me a guitar player. I do have an Ibanez semi-hollowbody 6 string that I fool around with at home.
    My main bass is a Gibson Q-80 custom shop bass that I've had sense 1981, I also have an old MusicMan Sabre bass that needs to be refinished, I think I bought it in 1979, but it might have been 1980. I've always played through old Fender Bassman amps, I have an AB165 50 watt head with 2X15 cabinet and a Bassman 100 head. I picked up an old Ampeg SVT, but it needs to be rebuilt, and due to the cost of the filter capacitors for it, it's on the back burner. I fix old tube amps as a hobby.
    One of these days I'm going to get back into playing again, I hope.
    Amber
    Last edited by AmberTG; 11-08-2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: got interruped while typing

Well Now This is Cool

..I did 9 yrs road work played on a few local releases ....now just having fun with it ...played mainly Fender P's and a 4001 Ric but now hooked on my Schecter Custom 4....found this mag program on Google
    Last edited by Sherlyn; 11-28-2006 at 03:18 PM.

I have a feeling the 80's glam bands I was in had something to do with this dressing stuff. I have often wondered how many of the musicians from back then have graduated to CD. I can assure you that at the time, the more femme I looked, the prettier the girls I attracted. I just KNOW that there are women out there who would be into men in women's clothes.

BTW, I have a Mexican Fender Strat, a Jackson, 2 Ibanez acoustics (1 with electronics) and an Ibanez hollow body electric, for the blues stuff...not to mention my 5 piece Tama Rockstar kit.

Funny...I was a bass player all those years, now I have 5 guitars and not a bass in sight.

Maybe you're on to something.
    Last edited by Shannon CD; 11-08-2006 at 10:06 PM.
    Shannon

It'd be fun to be in an all CD band, quite outragous I think. The question is, do you go for the drag queen look or just trashy look? You could call the band "Dragg Queen" Or how about "Draggula" after the Rob Zombie song?

Im a guy who likes bras Theresa(TGirl)'s Avatar
    well, I have a Takamine acoustic-electric, much similar to the model that Garth Brooks used in the early 90s (pre custom guitar). and I have a (add a word that describes crap better) strat copy.

and I love my acoustic, just wish i could sing and play better, so i could record myself.
    *hugs and kisses*

Terri

Banned Read only
    I worked the Joan Jett show here last week and the girl still rocks! I have an old Korean Bentley acoustic/electric that has been tweaked for me by a great gutiar tech, its got a Fender Tele pickup and some nice custom wiring for stereo effects. This guy buys and fixes old instruments and he had held on to this one for a few years because he liked the way it played and looked - its a unique blue or green depending on the light. But when I was bugging him to find me a good instrument he sighed and said this one would be perfect for me, which it is. I run it through a good two way Crate amp and a Digitec 200 effects processor. People can't belive the way it sounds. If you can't bring talent, bring production.
    Last edited by tekla west; 11-09-2006 at 12:06 AM.

Wow, I'm impressed with all the gurls here who play.
    My collection is down to two, a '64 Telecaster and a Martin D28.

Never performed en femme, but have thought about it often.
    I've had an awful lot of fun, though, practicing all the moves!
    I learned the laws of physics by watching Road Runner cartoons.

Do you have that, in a tall?

I say we organize some kind of crossdresser jam session/vacation. We can pick someplace centralized and all get together with our equipment and have a ball. It would be open to those who do not play, as well. After all, all groups need an audience.

Then we could record the jam and make a CD CD.
    Last edited by Shannon CD; 11-09-2006 at 01:30 AM.
    Shannon

Sounds like fun to me!

Sejd
    Sherlyn
    What a bummer, you live in Ontario. I want to start a TG band here in Seattle!!!!
    I'm a big fan of your music Video stuff. Keep working on it.
    huggs and kisses
    Sejd

Sejd
    Shannon
    Count me in. I have procuced 5 CD's of my own stuff over the years and love to perform
    huggs
    Sejd

Pedal Steel Guitar Player Patricia Danielle's Avatar
    Do ya need a Pedal Steel Guitar player? I was raised on Texas Dancehall and Westeren Swing. My insturment is an Emmons D 10 with 8 floor pedals and 6 knee bars so it will keep ya busy Amp is a fender vibrosonic custom. Like the other person I love my old Tube Type amps, they don't clip like the solid state stuff and it just has a sweeter richer sound to it.. Patricia Danielle.

I guess we just need a CD travel agent to help get things started here.

Any suggestions on location?
    Shannon

is in her vest
    ha ha...I just put up a photo of me and my epiphone on the pics board!!! Looking pretty trashy too!!!
    Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

'89 American Strat and an '04 Ovation Balladeer LX. I love both like children! I would jump at the chance to play in a tgirl band!

By the way, not only have I noticed a music trend, but I swear it seems like there are a disporportionate number of bass players! I actually started playing bass when I was 14 and switched to six string ~16. Freaky, bass player TG connection there.

-b

I used to play jazz guitar in a small sextet. We played some New Orlean's style classics and middle jazz and Bossa Nova. Unfortunately I don't have much time to play anymore.

My favourite guitar players are Joe Pass and Bucky Pizzarelli.

I love themes with nice rich chords. I enjoy scatting on various jazz themes. My favourite female singer is Ella Fitzgerald. I'd love to sing "en femme".

I have two guitars, one Gibson Epiphone "Emperor" for pure jazz and a traditional nylon strings classic guitar for Bossa Nova.

Eugenie

I play trumphet or did in school. Always wanted to learn how to play guitar and piano. Im going to try to teach myself guitar here very soon.