Thread: Apartment living

Apartment living

I see many on here that go out dressed with no issue. How many live in apartments where you would have to walk out where many of your neibors could see you. My main concern is that I am on speaking terms if not more with many of my neibors and dont want them to avoid me. If any of you have had positive experiences with this I would love to hear.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

When I used to go out years ago, I would only do it at night so my neighbors did not see me. I know what you mean it could get a little aukward. And OMG what would they think? Does it matter, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

I normally go out as a man in women's clothes. No makeup or wig. So I can normally wear sweatpants over whatever and that is sufficient to get me to the car or where ever I am walking.

Joe

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by megan81 View Post
    I see many on here that go out dressed with no issue. How many live in apartments where you would have to walk out where many of your neibors could see you. My main concern is that I am on speaking terms if not more with many of my neibors and dont want them to avoid me. If any of you have had positive experiences with this I would love to hear.
    I live in an apartment and go out every now and then. Saturday night was the most recent. I was getting ready for a outing with my SO and we were ready to leave the apartment when my new neighbors came down the hall. I hesitated to come out until they went into their apartment. So my SO and I walked out to the car and were ready to leave when she remembered the directions to the club we were going to was on the kitchen counter. So I hurried upstairs to my door when the neighbors came out as I put the keys in the lock. They stopped and were surprised. Then they said hi and walked out. I was alittle embarassed but got over it. I the time I've lived here a few of my neighbors have seen me leave dressed and are still nice to me it hall. So most people don't care , they might be shocked. But oh well. Have fun with it. Good luck, Lacey.
    Just wearing what's comfortable!

Banned Read only
    Well your certainly a lot braver than me...

We live in ( you'd call it a condo) and we have an outdoor entainment area. Even though that's total protected from eyes, I still get a bit nervious sitting outside having a coffee and a cigaretter (yes I know nasty habit)...lol

hugs

x

beckii

Hi Megan,

When I lived in the city, I shared an entrance with the apartment above me, which was occupied by a lady who was a recent immigrant from Poland, and she didn't speak English very well, so our rare meetings were restricted to hi or hello.

However, since our mail boxes were ridiculously small, the mail carrier just dumped our mail on the floor of our vestibule, and we sorted it out. Since I bought lots of stuff via mail order, I always had lots of catalogs from women's clothing stores, as well as fashion magazines, so the lady upstairs from me had to have had an idea of what was going on with me, but I never experienced anything negative from her.

Also, when a package would arrive for me, if she got home from work before me, she would drop it by my apartment door on the way to her apartment, so she knew I was buying womens things, not just getting catalogs.

In cold weather, neighborhood kids (high-school aged) would occasionally come into the vestibule to warm up, and I think that's why I once got a prank phone call from what sounded like a young girl singing the "You've got legs" song by ZZ Top, a very strange experience, and I can only assume that one of the neighborhood kids saw a package of pantyhose, as I used to buy mine from Silkies, and got a monthly shipment from them, but I never did have anything that was really negative happen.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Guess I'm overly lucky. I live on the end of a dead end road out in the weeds. Today's outfit is a cute pink top, denim miniskirt with the black capri leggings under that. I just zipped into my brown leather/fur winter boots with the 3" wedge heels, put on my fluffy pink winter coat, a fresh coating of lippie, and went out to the end of my driveway to get the mail out of my mailbox. This is a daily for me.

I've walked a mile or two in your shoes before myself, so I can totally relate to where you're coming from. Whenever you do decide to venture out enfemme, there is absolutely no way in the world that you can just make yourself disappear whenever a neighbor(s) happen to also be out and about. I think the best way to handle the situation is to relax--and I know that's difficult--say hi and act as if you're standing there in your blue jeans...In my experience, so long as you appear to be comfortable and in control, you will usually have a relatively positive experience with the neighbors. But, if you look, sound and act nervous as can be, if you're uncomfortable, people will pick up on that and eat you alive. That is when people will ask you why you're wearing a skirt, dress, etc. They will also laugh openly at you...

I know it takes a bit of practice, but the key to successful public interaction is to just RELAX. Act normal. Neighbors are just poeple, They're not going to kill you. People are naturally going to be curious and/or intrigued by your "new" appearance, but so long as you remain calm, most people will just take a few quick glances, say hi and go on about their own business.

Good luck...And remember that you're not alone. We've all been there. (And just so you know, moving into a home of your own does not make the neighbor issue simply disappear. Sure, you have a little more privacy in your own home, but you still have to go out and live your life.)
    "poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another." Madonna "Justify My Love"

I liked what you said....MyMichelle....totally appropiate and well said. I too live in my own apt. and am free to wear whatever I wish within my apt. walls but walking out to my vehicle has been a real issue for me. I have to walk down a flight of stairs and past apts. of people I know and talk to from time to time. Luckily, in the past year or so that I have been venturing out as Michelle, I have not ran into any of my neighbors. Thank God! But I know the time will come and when it does...all I can do is act confident as MyMichelle stated. But still, its a real issue. I wish society was more accepting....

Take Care,
    Michelle

Thank you all for the great responses! My biggest concern is that I used to work in a store near my home and I know and am friends with many people around here. This may not seem bad except that this is aparently a very small world and everyone knows everyone and my main concern is losing those that I am friends with as in my experience good friends are very hard to come by. Although around this forum it seems that good sisters are very common all of you have been very supportive and I am very grateful.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila