Thread: funny-ish story

funny-ish story

We got out of my job early on friday because of the x-mas holiday.

Being that Sephora is right across the street from where I work, I decided to have a look-see inside and see what all the fuss was about.

I ended up buying some derma-cover type concealor but the woman helping me said the person I was buying it for would have to come in to have their skin-tone matched. So I asked her what that entailed and she said just putting some different shades on their face to see which blended the best. So I said: "what if it's for me"?. She giggled and asked if I wanted her to match me. So I agreed but asked that she keep it low-key being that I worked across the street and didn't want to be found out.

So Jenna disguised as a man (aka, me), stood there and took it, quite literally, on the chin. Passer-bys gave a few looks, but I carried on and made my purchase like a trooper. Hope it ends up being worth it.
    "In a Patriarchal world, crossdressing is akin to treason...it's the ultimate punk rock expression."
    - Ru Paul

Hey that was a good start. Just think you don't have to regret buying something that didn't work. I blew way to much money finding out latter I looked so bad while using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Carter View Post
    Hey that was a good start. Just think you don't have to regret buying something that didn't work. I blew way to much money finding out latter I looked so bad while using it.
    I know what you mean Joy. I found out by trial and error(mostly error). This gal was smart. Sometimes it's better to "bite the bullet" and risk getting "caught" to do it right. Saves the pain in the pocketbook for sure.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi Jenna, good for you! Anyone who wears foundation regularly (GG or TG) will tell you that it can take a while to figure out what works for you, and by getting a professional color match, you are probably eliminating a lot of unnecessary trial and error. I was just talking with a girlfriend the other day about the quest for the perfect foundation....we both agreed that it took us each at least 10 years and hundreds of products before we found our foundation 'Holy Grails.' I hope you have much better luck

As for work colleagues seeing you, well.....I doubt they would automatically assume that you are a CD just from seeing you buying cosmetics. People really don't put two and two together as much as we think they do. You could just as easily be perceived as a trendy metrosexual type guy who takes care of his skin and even (gasp) covers blemishes with concealer. It's not so unusual these days.

Love, Marla xx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Congratulations...thats a huge step and is really going to help you with the makeup. Till you find the right foundation by matching it up to your skiin tone its alls but impossible to get that look going right!

I still remember my first time getting matched up at the MAC counter. I had a big huge redneck guy snickering and staring at me while the makeup artist tried foundatons on me. He was with his wife in the secton. Got my makeup anyway that day but lord it was stressful.

Sorry to go into a me thing on your thread but ya brought back memories.

I am proud of you for taking the first step. It was daring to do it right accross the street from your job, but it sounds like it was fun.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

WOW!!! That great, getting a foundation match, elliminates having a half dozen shades that don't work. At least that's how many I have. I think shortly after the holidays, I'm going to get matched too. And just think, in the summer, when you get tanned, you can get matched again. ...BJ

Jenna,

Thanks for sharing, I like the courage. I went to CD/clubbing shop to get make up, and still didn't get a very good match. Maybe I need to muster the courage to go to Sephora myself.

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

Smile

Grrrrreeaat! I hope that I'll find the courage to do that too in the coming year.

thanks for the feedback

It was right in times square, so at least it's anonymous enough (except for being across the street from work). I'll keep plugging away at getting the right look...hope my pics show that I'm doing at least ok, for now.

and...happy holidays to all!
    "In a Patriarchal world, crossdressing is akin to treason...it's the ultimate punk rock expression."
    - Ru Paul

Banned Read only
    What brand concealer did they sell you? How much did it cost? Does it work great in hiding the mustache?

Good for you Jenna!

Nearly the same occured to me on the 24th. Was in a woman's size store called CJ Banks up in Hagerstown MD, with my wife.

I found a nice near black velour gypsy type skirt marked down to $9.99, and just couldn't pass it up no matter how hard I tried

My wife had already left the store when I checked out. I told the SA that it seems a little hard to find the right top to go with it. She said there were some midnight blue tops for sale that might work, but my wife would need to try them on to ensure a good fit etc.

I told her the skirt was for me. She didn't bat an eye, but didn't ask me if I wanted to try the top.
    DonnaT

Matching foundation color is a major pain for me. Sounds loke Sephora has a regular customer.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.