Something happened today that I just felt I had to share with all of you, to get some other reactions about. I feel that I may be too close to make a rational opinion on this.

Anyway, the thing is, I got a letter today from my oldest daughter, (snail mail) in which she told me why she and her husband came here for Christmas. I had assumed that it was just a normal decision to come here instead of staying in Chicago and celebrating with his family. It turns out, that his parents told them that they would rather not ever meet with my wife and I again when we visit up there, as they feel uncomfortable around me, and feel that our lifestyle is sinful. Now, my son-in-laws father is a minister, and I have met several that feel that any alternative lifestyle is a sin, but I think they could have found a way to express themselves that didn't hurt my daughter so much. My son-in-law was wonderful, stood up for us and my daughter, told his parents that he felt their prejudice was more of a sin than our lifestyle, and that they were coming here for the holidays since they didn't feel comfortable with their attitude.

Now, the thing is, I have pretty much decided to ask them to forgive his parents, and let it go. I do not want them, or especially my son-in-law to have a serious falling-out with his parents over this. My wife is a more aggressive personality, and feels we should confront this head on.

It is my feeling that people only change when they want to, and nothing we say will be listened to. Further, I believe that my daughter and son-in-law can have a loving relationship with them even if they hold this opinion against my daughters parents.

What is your thoughts on all of this?