Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you tie...

Question How do you tie...

...your necktie? When I first bought a tie I researched different ways to tie it and found that some just didn't look good on me. I admit, I wound up going to tie-a-tie.net and found I preferred the Pratt knot because it looks good on me. So guys, how do you tie your ties?

Platinum Member
    only ever a full windsor

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    I have no idea what it's called... It's the way my dad taught me, when I was about 7. Like this:

(Edit: Ohhh. It's the four in hand knot, apparently)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Abraxas; 01-27-2007 at 03:14 AM.
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

Platinum Member
    http://www.tie-a-tie.net/
    http://www.tieanecktie.com/
    http://www.tieguide.com/tie.htm
    http://www.tieknot.com/

ok ok so im wide awake and bored........it will be here somewhere Abraxas

I think I do a half windsor, but I need to look up the others. I have problems getting it symmetrical easily, so I want to find a chance to learn others...
    I wanna know, can you show me
    I wanna know about these
    strangers like me
    Tell me more, please show me
    Somethings familiar about these strangers like me

Cabin boy/Purser :)
    I dunno what it's called.
    I just tie it how we had to tie it at school.
    I don't need advice on how to be a man. I just am one.

www.dec.org.uk <-- in desperate need of our help.

YO, yeh you! Please pray for &/or send your positive thoughts and love to Carol. And for Dominic, and Steve, and Karl. Miracles do happen, let's make them! Thank you kind person! And for Tristan's grandad to get better. & lovely Taylor. Pleease.

PLEASE PRAY 4 CAROL'S LAST DAY OF RADIATION TREATMENT TO HAVE WORKED COMPLETELY EXCELLENTLY AND DESTROYED ALL THE BADNESS!! THANK YOU!

Like Abraxas I learned the four in hand from my dad also.
    Vampires are real, just not how you picture them to be.

Hangem

Having to wear ties most of my life i came to hate them. I ususally do my tie then loosen it and sometime i use yes Those clip-ties for the quick on/off times. just my

If I might add my . The few times anymore that I find myself having to wear something which requires a necktie, I use the Windsor Knot. It was the way I learned when I was much younger, and for some reason seems to be about the easiest one for me to do and get good results.
    I must admit I've got many years of practice with it. Somehow anything else just doesn't "feel" right.
    Now, as for tying a bow tie,....well....erm.... let's just say, "ain't gonna happen" I'll use a "clip on" for that.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyliss View Post
    Now, as for tying a bow tie,....well....erm.... let's just say, "ain't gonna happen" I'll use a "clip on" for that.
    urghhhh i cannot tie a bow tie

Bronx, NY, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Galaxy, The Universe
    Depends on the tie. Since I'm short-torsoed, I've bought a few boys' ties online, with good results. They're only 48" long. For these, I use the four-in-hand.* For longer ties, I use the half-Windsor, so that it uses up more of the tie and the narrow end isn't longer than the wide end. I find that using a full-Windsor makes the knot large enough that my head looks small. Also, most of the shirts I've found are boys' shirts and have button-down collars, which don't work with a full-Windsor.

* Trivia: The four-in-hand knot comes from the days of carriages. The knot is similar to that tied in the reins by coachmen when they were driving a team of four horses.

Oh but guys, a bowtie is so easy! My ex wears them all the time (love it!) and he showed me how. Way easier than a regular tie, imho.
    I wanna know, can you show me
    I wanna know about these
    strangers like me
    Tell me more, please show me
    Somethings familiar about these strangers like me

Guys there is a great book called "The 85 ways to tie a tie". Its by two mathematicians Thomas Fink & Yong Mao.

It shows in great detail how to tie a tie.

regards

Tracy

Well guys, is that around the wrists and ankles? Oooops. wrong thread....

For a formal occasion: Narrow tie and Four-in-Hand Knot.
    For a semi formal with a medium to wide tie: Half Windsor or with a narrow tie a Full Windsor.
    For just whatever strikes you for a time out with the boys or *giggle" wenches, a Full Windsor. However. a Full Windsor is a wide knot so use it conservatively with a wide tie.... unless you are in a Zoot Suit.... MY FAV!!!!!!!!

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberley View Post
    Well guys, is that around the wrists and ankles? Oooops. wrong thread...
    A-HEM.....
    It seems to me that a certain young lady is rather coming out of her shell lately! .... ....

YO, yeh you! Please pray for &/or send your positive thoughts and love to Carol. And for Dominic, and Steve, and Karl. Miracles do happen, let's make them! Thank you kind person! And for Tristan's grandad to get better. & lovely Taylor. Pleease.

PLEASE PRAY 4 CAROL'S LAST DAY OF RADIATION TREATMENT TO HAVE WORKED COMPLETELY EXCELLENTLY AND DESTROYED ALL THE BADNESS!! THANK YOU!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoyo View Post
    A-HEM.....
    It seems to me that a certain young lady is rather coming out of her shell lately! .... ....
    im blaming you lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    im blaming you lol
    Me? I'm just an innocent little lad....

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    im blaming you lol
    Oh dont be so quick lil darlin..... Maybe we (kerri and me) have been trying to get the rest of you guys to come out....) ooops did I say something naughty? *must be the abundance of Balvenie Single Malt today*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

And here I was going to say something about Kimberley and -- ahem! -- discipline yesterday, but deleted the post, lest it be misunderstood.

Ohhhh not unless it is with silk....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That could be arranged...

Aspiring Member
    I tie with the full winsor (sp?) It really is the only way to get a tie know symetical. Much of the look of the knot depends on the cut and shape of the tie. Sometimes, it takes a couple of retries to get it right. This coming from a GM who wears a tie almost everyday.

Also, it's important to get that pinch in the tie going into the knot. It can really make or break the look of tie. Even more so if the tie is incadescant (sp?) it can look really sharp.
    Last edited by noname; 01-28-2007 at 04:19 AM.

I have no idear which one I use. I just do it like my dad taught me for school.
    Mentaly unstable like a fox!

Transitional Journal on the FTM transitioning bord: A to B, via T

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...4faf/event.png

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein9 View Post
    And here I was going to say something about Kimberley and -- ahem! -- discipline yesterday, but deleted the post, lest it be misunderstood.
    Can always PM those and put multiple recipients on them....
    We've had to do that a few times so people wouldnt take exception. The last one being absolutely hilarious (had to go email), but it could never have survived the main forums.
    Hmmmm. Discipline? Oh those lovely cabin boys... and they are so naughty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Junior Member Scrunchie-Bunchie's Avatar
    I'm a genetic man. I absolutely hate neck ties but this is the way I tie them....

1. lift your collar and put the tie around your neck with the wide end a lot shorter than the narrow end. This amount varies from tie to tie.

2. wrap the wide end around the narrow end twice then feed the wide end under the massed partial knot, up through between the ends that come from around your neck.

3. Slide the wide end through the massed partial knot - under the top layer but above the second.

4. Pull the narrow end to tighten the tie around your neck then the wide end to tighten the knot.

You might find a tie clip is useful for securing the now flapping loose tie to your shirt.

Ties are a pain - I refuse to wear them. When I must, I use a clip-on.