Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Practice

Space Princess jessikasummerfox's Avatar

Voice Practice

So, I know that there are a few places on the net selling products about how to achieve a more feminine voice. They're great and all, but I figure there's a lot practical expertise here, so I was wondering if any of you had tips and tricks about how to get your voice sounding more feminine.

Here is what I have heard in the past:

1) Speak a bit more softly
    2) Try to speak with a resonance coming more from the head than chest
    3) Speak with an accent (US Southern, Valley Girl, etc)
    4) Practice Singing every day
    5) Try to speak 'behind' your own voice (I'm not even too sure what this one means)

I'd like for my voice to sound more like a soft, silvery mountain stream and less like a million bullfrogs. LOL. Okay, I'm exaggerating a smidge; but seriously, I truly would appreciate any advice you can give.
    Jessika!

you got thr right idea, also try raiseing your pitch, that is a little harder but it can be done the problem is practice , practice , practice. it applys to everything we do ..
    lets hope there is a good response as i know i need all the help i can get
    hugs marissa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Error: User not found;
    Those are good suggestions. I get a little dissapointed in the TS community when people seemingly do not put any effort into there voices.

One of my friends in school used to call me Gravel because my voice was so bad wich gave me a complex and made mumble aswell ! i ended going through life avoiding speech at all costs.

Through alot of talking and singing in the car i moved on to speaking to close friends on skype & ventrillo. Finally getting enough confidence to talk to strangers on voice chats.

These days i actually enjoy talking and using my voice , and very happy that i persisted in trying.

The only thing i can really add to the suggestions is be very expressive and playfull with your voice

------------------- man

-_/\--/\/--^^_^-\ woman !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was told to try to talk in that high pitched cartoon voice, it has fewer harmonics than normal, and then lower the pitch to a more comfortable level while trying to maintain it pure sounding with out extra harmonics.
    It's by far not easy, but it does help. I'm still trying to perfect it myself.

P.S. I have hit it perfectly once in a while... It's hard to get it there, but once it's there, it's easy.
    Last edited by marie354; 02-03-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: P.S.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

girl next door
    I have a small handheld voice recorder which I sometimes use for meetings, etc, which I also have also used for femme voice practice. It has helped a little. Also, I had heard a recommendation a while back, which did seem to work, to introduce a bit of a sing-songy quality to your femme voice. Women seem to have more variability in intonation than do men. Good luck.
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

Quote Originally Posted by marie354 View Post
    I was told to try to talk in that high pitched cartoon voice, it has fewer harmonics than normal, and then lower the pitch to a more comfortable level while trying to maintain it pure sounding with out extra harmonics.
    It's by far not easy, but it does help. I'm still trying to perfect it myself.

P.S. I have hit it perfectly once in a while... It's hard to get it there, but once it's there, it's easy.
    Yes the sweet spot is between your normal voice and mickey mouse.

Once you have gotten that far you can use mental triggers to sort of bookmark it. (like memorize a song line or movie line that you can successfully emulate , then run that through you head to sync yourself and get in the zone before you open your mouth) that had helped me anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by oohTammi View Post
    I have a small handheld voice recorder which I sometimes use for meetings, etc, which I also have also used for femme voice practice. It has helped a little. Also, I had heard a recommendation a while back, which did seem to work, to introduce a bit of a sing-songy quality to your femme voice. Women seem to have more variability in intonation than do men. Good luck.
    Now that you say that, I've noticed it too.
    Men tend to get louder or softer while women tend to raise or lower the pitch when they speak.... Unless they are angery, then they can get very loud with that ear-piercing pitch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The "speak softer" part really should be "soften" the voice or make it more breathy.

My voice is not female yet by any means, but it is getting better. I am considering going to a speech therapist but so far have been using only the Andrea James Deep Stealth voice CD/DVD. If you go thru step by step you will be able to feel where you need to place your voice and what parts of your mouth and throat you need to affect. The tricky part is actually perfecting the pitch, resonance and for me the hardest is the female inflection. That does take practice,practice,practice,practice,practice...... ..

I am surprised at the number of knock-out gorgeous T-girls that have spent little or no time on their voices! I personally know several and would be so happy if they went that extra step.

Sally

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyGirl View Post
    Yes the sweet spot is between your normal voice and mickey mouse.
    [SIZE="4"]So I should sound like half way between Micky and Goofy[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

Untitled

In the minority

I have never considered voice therapy, and TBH I have never had a problem.

It all depends on who you are trying to fool, to put it bluntly, I am a bloke in a frock, and nothing I do will change that.

IMHO the only TG who needs voice therapy is a TS, unless of course it is for vanity.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I've found this site most helpful...

http://www.mindspring.com/~karen.anne.taylor/voice.html

And I try the others listed as well.

XXX
    Megan
    Loving the Lace!

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    I tried voice training some years ago. Didn't like the result. Somehow it wasn't me. So now i don't bother. Anybody who's close enough to speak to will have read me anyway so they're not going to be shell-shocked when I speak. I find a bit of self-confidence and smile go a long way.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

This is an excellent topic. I always hear passing associated with only the aesthetic changes or maybe mannerisms but rarely the voice. It would be awesome to hear from a few girls who "made it" as far as retraining their voice. Recently I tried contacting some female illusionists about it and for whatever reason, I got no replies. * Scoffs. Lot of help they were.

I just talk quieter... and no one has said a thing or really cares.... lots of women have deper voices!!! And "I'd like a frosty" probably sounds the same over their headset no matter who says it!!! hehehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Like Karren ..I just talk softer and more from my throat ..this works well ..you just need to work on projecting it and volume ..seems the volume control dont work as good from the throat ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    the only TG who needs voice therapy is a TS, unless of course it is for vanity.
    A CD trying to pass needs it as much if not more than a TS. Being female includes being treated as a female and that is much easier with a female voice.

Sally

I just finished listening to Melanie Ann Phillips dvd on developing a more female voice and am trying to follow her suggestions.

It was a very good lesson with the only problem being that when she recorded it she left quite a bit of hum on the audio track. But the suggestions seem very attainable.

Now Mrs. Missy is helping me practice when we are in the car. It sure sounds funny when you start and gives us quite a few laughs.

Missy Anne

i just talk a little softer and try not to get exited and has worked so far

susie

Untitled
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    A CD trying to pass needs it as much if not more than a TS. Being female includes being treated as a female and that is much easier with a female voice.

Sally
    That depends upon the CD, and the individuals interpretation of what a CDer is. In my book, and I hasten to add this is[SIZE="2"] my opinion[/SIZE] a CDer or TV if you like is "someone who prefers to wear the clothing of the oposite gender to their natural gender". It has nothing to do with trying to represent the opposite gender, that is where again, I hasten to add this is[SIZE="2"] my opinion[/SIZE] a person becomes less of a CDer and more of a TS.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Hmmm-My opinion also Nigella, so that makes two of us, I guess.

I guess that is where we differ. I treat CD like Transgendered. It is an all encompassing title that we all fall under, I mean that is the name of the site! Transexual, for me, is someone who is in some form, phyically altering their body to switch from one sex to another. It would be nice if someday we could agree on what each term meant so that everyone could understand each other.

Love,
    Sally

Space Princess jessikasummerfox's Avatar

Thanks

Wow, there are a lot of good suggestions here that I hadn't considered. Thank you all for sharing them. Personally, I don't consider myself a TS, but as an individual, I think that developing a more feminine voice while dressed is just something that I'd like to explore. Some people like pink and some don't, and it's no big deal, right? Anyhow, from the bottom of my heart, thanks again for all the responses. Proving once again how much you all rock out loud!
    Jessika!

Quote Originally Posted by Sally24 View Post
    I guess that is where we differ. I treat CD like Transgendered. It is an all encompassing title that we all fall under, I mean that is the name of the site! Transexual, for me, is someone who is in some form, phyically altering their body to switch from one sex to another. It would be nice if someday we could agree on what each term meant so that everyone could understand each other.

Love,
    Sally
    The logical difference is a TS is not crossdressing (though they may or may not have in the past)

I agree with you that when trying to pass *voice* is essential regardless of label.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Like some of the others have said, it is more a matter of resonance rather than pitch. There are some very beautiful, feminine women such as Lauren Bacall, who had very low-pitched voices.

When I am practicing my femme voice, I think of the song "Two of Hearts" sung by the one-hit wonder, Stacey Q. She had the most delicate, feminine voice I have ever heard in my life.