Thread: A woman in a man's world, now?

I must be dreaming

A woman in a man's world, now?

I may have experienced what it is like to be a woman in a man's world. I was shopping for sheet metal screws at the local home improvement center and went into the store looking for the aisle where they kept them. I had my current garb on which is casual femme, slacks, pony tail and earrings. I had a black Land's End nylon shoulder bag which is sort of femme but sold as unisex.

I turned down the aisle and started looking for my items. About a minute later, a male store clerk comes into the aisle and asks me if I can find what I am looking for. Well, I've been buying these screws regularly for 12 years so I nod negative and he leaves. There were two guys in the aisle with me but he didn't ask them.

About three minutes later he comes back and asks "Are you sure you can find what you need?" I said I could and he left again. Again, there were these two guys there and no questions were asked towards them. I figure he thought, "Here comes some woman, looking for something that she doesn't understand. So I'll help her."

It flustered me and I suddenly couldn't remember the name of the screws I needed. If he came back a third time, I would not be able to describe them! I was getting very nervous.

I considered leaving but I had to get those screws. Finally, I did find them and all was fine. I have never had such a time in a hardware department. If this is what women go through in there, I am so sympathetic now!
    Last edited by Maggie Kay; 02-08-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typos
    A work in progress

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    If a sales clerk keeps asking you if you need help to find something it is obvious that he thinks that you are a genetic woman and that you have actually passed. You should be savioring the moment for what it was, acceptance at being a woman.
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

Hi.

I agree with Joan. Take it as a big complerment.

You passed - Girl..

Susan
    T.G.I.F. - Thank God I'm Female.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joanlynn28 View Post
    If a sales clerk keeps asking you if you need help to find something it is obvious that he thinks that you are a genetic woman and that you have actually passed. You should be savioring the moment for what it was, acceptance at being a woman.
    [SIZE="3"]Kay, I so agree with Joan, hon. That was indeed something to be savoured. You go girl.

Anna Marie x
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]I need to be on the outside, who I am on the inside[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know[/SIZE]

I must be dreaming
    I will look at it just that way! Thanks!
    A work in progress

Just wait until you go to buy car parts, you think the hardware store adventure was wierd.

Was he cute?
    If you walk into a room and nobody notices, Why walk into the room?

You should be savioring the moment for what it was, acceptance at being a woman.
    Yes yes, savor the moment, by all means - for the moment.

In a few more years, then it's woman's lib, baby!!

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    My own adverture, today I had to go to the local hardware supply store to purchase a plastic pipe fitting and also buy some PVC cement. Got me thinking, do I go in there knowing exactly what I need and where to find it or ask for some assistance. Well I went and did a little of both, the nearest hardware store to me at my house is in this little mountain town, or should I say community. Anyway the salesclerk is helpful, whether I have gone there in drab or enfemme which for me is fulltime. And you know I don't think they care it I am TS because there used to be a guy that hung out there occasionally that was trying to transform himself into a cat. He wore contacts that made his pupils look like cateyes, his teeth were filed down to look like cat teeth, he had whiskers coming out of his cheeks and implants too that made his face look the Chesure Cat from Alice in Wonderland. So I was just another "normal" customer to them. BTW I do know there was a crossdresser that lived at the trailerpark across from the hardware. The little community a backwater place named Guatay, CA, where inbreeding is known to occur. Oh and guess what I found later at my house? You guessed it, a couple of the pipe fittings that I needed well I did need to buy some glue.
    Last edited by joanlynn28; 02-10-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: misspelled Guatay
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by AmberTG View Post
    Just wait until you go to buy car parts, you think the hardware store adventure was wierd.

Yep, and now you have to start double checking the bill as any automotivate place is known to jack up the price for women......

You definitely passed, that's cool!!!
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

It's too bad people keep basing how they treat people by how they look. If I go into what is known as 'women's territory' (cosmetics, clothing, jewellry) as a male I get the same kind of "well you can't possibly know what you're looking for because you're guy" thing that the hardware store guy was giving you because you're a girl in 'man's territory'.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

The little community a backwater place named Guatay, CA, where inbreeding is known to occur.
    Joan,
    That is funny.
    That certainly debunks the myth that inbreeding only took place in Mississippi and West Virginia.
    Take Care,
    Andi .....

Sejd
    Joanlynn
    WOW, cat people on the loose in our back country!!! that's hysterical. I loved it. Makes us totally normal. See, all we need are people who are more unusual than we are!
    hugs
    Sejd

I must be dreaming
    This is a very unusual condition. I get helped sometimes by men opening doors or offering to help me pick up boxes etc. The weird part is that now that I have taken hormones, I am so much weaker than I used to be. I often pull a muscle just doing things that were common before. My skin is so soft that my hands get easily cut handling tools and workpieces. Woodworking and metalworking now are no fun partly because of these things.

SO I wonder, do I need the help now???
    A work in progress

Short Skirts & Long Legs

Have to flaunt it too...

Having passed as a Gg, it now time to flaunt it just a wee bit...Let the S.A.'s help you...let them see what they want to see...a helpless woman...

I would love to be that passable...

Good for you !!!