Thread: All My Children - Get those Tivos ready for 3/8-9

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar

All My Children - Get those Tivos ready for 3/8-9

I confess I was more than a bit skeptical when the soap opera “All My Children” announced they were adding a trans character. Rather than letting it gradually emerge out one of the existing characters, the show imported a new character, the Bowie-esque Zarf with great fanfare.

But even though it was clearly done get publicity—and to try to get some viewers—I’ve been favorably impressed by the actual treatment of Zarf, who’s now cross-living as “Zöe” (pretentious umlat and all). Turns out one of the writers is a friend of Helen and Betty, which is a good sign, and last week’s episodes did a good job of educating some of the challenges trans people face.

Zoe is attacked and left for dead by the Satin Slayer, the local serial killer (hey it is a soap opera) and when she’s found by J.R. he proceeds to insult her and leave her lying in the dirt. Eventually she’s found by another character and taken to the hospital, where one of the nurse mentioned that trans people are even more likely to be victims of hate crimes than gays and lesbians. When the local chief of police, who’s African-American, hears the Zoe’s attack is probably a hate crime rather than Satin Slayer, he promptly loses interest in investigating until he’s shamed into doing so by some of other characters, who point out that had Zoe been a racial minority he wouldn’t be blowing off her case. Given the folks I know who watch soaps, I suspect it’s those sorts of visceral experiences (what if you were attacked and no one would help you…) that will be more useful gaining their sympathy.

Anyway, all this is a long way of saying that in the near future Zoe will be visiting a trans support group—and what a support group it is. Betty will be there along with author Jenny Boylan, Andy Marra of the National Center for Transgender Equality, Kate Bornstein’s ex David Harrison (who had a small part in “Transamerica”) and several other transwomen and transmen. AMC did a taping yesterday where folks shared their stories, which will be edited into the program.

It’s expect to air March 8 and 9.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Thanks Marlena. I was wondering if there was any assistance from trans people on this production. And thanks for the web sight for Helen and Betty. I have book marked it for future reading.

I miss it a lot of times, but I have my DVR set to automatically save the repeat of all the weekly episodes on The Soap Network that airs all 5 epsodes on Saturdays from 2-7 pm.
    Even if I have caught all five, I still watch them all over on Sunday afternoons.

Hopefully they will be done with the Satin Slayer soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Carter View Post
    I was wondering if there was any assistance from trans people on this production.
    I'm not sure there's been official help -- although IIRC the show did consult with GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) and possibly some trans groups.

Unofficially, apparently one of the AMC writers knows Helen and Betty, so I'm sure they're using their knowledge of H&B to help inform things. (As far as I know H&B aren't being asked to consult on scripts, etc.) And in a recent interview, the actor playing Zarf/Zoe said that he's come to know a number of trans people and "They have determination and they have such heart. It's become very, very important to me to tell their story accurately." Whether it's truly heartfelt or saying what he's expected to say, who's to say....
    Lena

Latest update from AMC, the air date is March 9 (although it's possible the support group stuff may extend into the following Monday).

BTW, Logo's coverage has some links to Zarf/Zoe videos.
    Lena