Thread: CD Mystique

CD Mystique

What is really behind the drive to do what we do? Why do we spend so much time and energy to look like, feel like and try to be perceived as a woman? We're men, dammit (as an infamous one time poster said), can't we just admit that and be satisfied with that? The simple answer is: No! We are not JUST men, we are thinking men and recognize a "good thing" when we see it. Even so, this creates no small amount of consternation and confusion for our loved ones and SO's. Isn't our manliness what attracted them to us to begin with? True enough but it was also other qualities, the "softer" ones such as compassion, caring and understanding, qualities that are "forbidden" to men by a hostile society. In an attempt to make sense of all of this, many of us have to compensate and CDing is one way to do that.
    Many here will no doubt say that this is just "me" and the way I am and accept that. That is fine but it doesn't really answer the question on what drives us to begin with. Many of our spouses would really love to know the answer to that so they can understand. We accept breathing, eating and sleeping as things we must do to survive and most of the time we don't give them a second thought, just do them. They are, however, central and necessary to our continued existence. To many of us, CDing is just as central and many of us cannot imagine life without it or would have a miserable existence at best.
    After pondering this somewhat, I've concluded what drives me is the need to get in touch with my deep feelings, feelings that otherwise would never be touched by a "normal" man,feelings that help me to explain my purpose and feelings that get me more in touch with my overall humanity and help me to understand things better. That is what drives me. What about you?

Tough question

As far as I go, I despise any type of gender classification. This level of hatred for that may not be so prominent in others, but I believe that's one thing we all share in common. I also highly doubt that any of us are chauvinistic, because that would be a waling contradiction.

I told my present GF that I CD, and she claims that is who she fell in love with. We both think macho guys are stupid (no offense, )

Nicely put Salandra I have never felt the need to prove my manhood by punching someones lights out or acting all macho and manly I have always
    been tendre and I hop caring and I feel it more when dressed
    Angie

This is kind of a tough question,

What drives me?
    I guess back in the 60's and early 70's when all the girls were hanging around with the jocks and the drugies. I was not into that scene at all. I certainly was no jock. And the whole drug scene, I don't know that looked pretty ugly to me also. So with no women to hang around with. I guess I tried the next best thing, Their clothes. This is the addiction that finally got to me. I managed to stay away from the cigarettes, the drugs, and the sexual deseases that went along withthe loose women. But this clothing thing really had me hooked. I am certainly better off then some of the others that didn't take the same route. One of my friends is still hurting from a broken neck from the drug era.

So I guess it is the addiction that drives me. Luckily the only side affects of this addiction for me is a few bra strap lines.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Salandra, you put that so well! I'm definitely not the stereotypical macho guy either. I can't add much to what you have said, you put it well. I guess what drives me is that this is my way of outwardly expressing how I feel inside. I can't keep it any simpler than that.
    GO RED SOX!!!

Suzie

Genetically all men also have a female aspect: some simply chose to explore it, to shorter or greater length. Role expectations for men in our culture are quite harsh, so crossdressing for many is a safety vent.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippilotta View Post
    Genetically all men also have a female aspect: some simply chose to explore it, to shorter or greater length. Role expectations for men in our culture are quite harsh
    Wow, isn't that the truth. It's unpopular but the truth.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

The need to be held cuddled and cared for to feel provided for and the feeling
    of just liking to try and be pretty.
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

I want:
    (Not in any particular order....)

to feel good.
    to feel accepted.
    to be able to relax.
    to not have to worry.
    to be loved for who I am.
    and I want some heels to wear with my jeans!
    Ammdi
    --
    PHR

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    I want to play
    to be seen as physically beautiful, and get attention for it
    to feel free of my manly burdens and worries
    to feel "feminine" feelings I have when I dress, and afterward
    to gain insight into women and LGBT persons
    to open doors of relationship that would be closed to my male persona

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

Beats me.. Just something I like to do...

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

...and then you could wonder how many crossdressers were or felt rejected as boys, not up to expectations (perhaps from a demanding father), and therefore tried to be - in one way or other - the girl (sister ?) that seemed so much more accepted/loved ?

I don't see wearing femme gear as having anything to do with gender issues or having a 'soft' side. I just love wearig skirts.

A few years ago guys were encouraged to be soft and tender. Those who were, and did things like housework and changed baby nappies were called SNAG's - Sensitive New Age Guys.

Salandra,
    I think I know you from somewhere. Didn't you have a sister by the name of Erika?

Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    What is really behind the drive to do what we do? Why do we spend so much time and energy to look like, feel like and try to be perceived as a woman? We're men, dammit (as an infamous one time poster said), can't we just admit that and be satisfied with that? The simple answer is: No! We are not JUST men, we are thinking men and recognize a "good thing" when we see it. Even so, this creates no small amount of consternation and confusion for our loved ones and SO's. Isn't our manliness what attracted them to us to begin with? True enough but it was also other qualities, the "softer" ones such as compassion, caring and understanding, qualities that are "forbidden" to men by a hostile society. In an attempt to make sense of all of this, many of us have to compensate and CDing is one way to do that.
    Many here will no doubt say that this is just "me" and the way I am and accept that. That is fine but it doesn't really answer the question on what drives us to begin with. Many of our spouses would really love to know the answer to that so they can understand. We accept breathing, eating and sleeping as things we must do to survive and most of the time we don't give them a second thought, just do them. They are, however, central and necessary to our continued existence. To many of us, CDing is just as central and many of us cannot imagine life without it or would have a miserable existence at best.
    After pondering this somewhat, I've concluded what drives me is the need to get in touch with my deep feelings, feelings that otherwise would never be touched by a "normal" man,feelings that help me to explain my purpose and feelings that get me more in touch with my overall humanity and help me to understand things better. That is what drives me. What about you?
    This all sounds well and good, but in another thread about feeling threatened, you as well as a large number of the sisters came off sounding mighty macho to me.
    I think it is just a thing, some got at birth, some grew into it for whatever reason, but it seems like we have a group of people that show a lot of macho drive, in their hobbies, in their job choices, and life styles, then go home and put on a dress, for a lot of different reasons, there seems to be no one size fits all!
    Just a thought!
    Tina B.

Silver Member
    Listen to Karren.

Just FEEL. Trying to figure out WHY is such a masculine trait. That's the way we are. We try to figure stuff out. When the car dies, we try to figure out why. Is the battery dead? Are we out of gas? Is it something more serious? When the car dies on my wife, she gets out and calls the tow truck (or me). She doesn't want to know WHY it dies. She just wants it to run.

Ditto for this CDing stuff. Just ENJOY it! Stop obsessing over why you do it. It don't matter anyway. Try to be more "feminine" and just feel it. Just enjoy it. You will never figure out why. So just relax. This is something you want to FEEL. It's fun. Enjoy!

Lovies,
    Stephenie

I threw this question out just to see what kind of responses I would get, i.e. does anyone even have an inkling of why they do it? I do it because I choose to and it is totally my choice to do so. I don't feel coerced or obsessed in any way. Part of this is due to my getting deeply in touch with both "sides" of myself and taking control of my person. I do sense reluctance on the part of some, however, as if by attempting to understand it would be counter productive and they would end up losing joy over the mystery part. Far be it from me to take away anyone's joy or happiness and if you are content with no explanation, so be it. I'm not built that way, however, and need a reason for doing everything, just as I am myself, whether some think I act like a woman or not. You can no more take that away from me than I can take being who you are away from you. Anyway, now that I know my reason for doing it, I realize what my purpose is and am happier.

Why

Nice thread. I want to post this - I think all answers are valid no judgments from this old queen ! For me I believe that it started as a fetish thing. Masturbatory and pre-pubescent - it is now still very sensual to me I never feel sexy as a man. I feel so sexy all dressed up. Still has me confused but it helps to write it down and share it here with my sisters !

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    What drives me...

- like you there is a need to be able to express a side of myself - feelings, emotions, intuitiveness, spirituality - that feels best expressed through Melissa

- part of it is that I love the cuteness, elegance, classiness, sauciness and playfulness of the feminine spirit. Having lived so much of my life in a rows and columns, structured, logical, get to work type of environment, I enjoy the part of me that just likes to be, that just likes to experience the irrationality of the world

- I enjoy the sensuality of the clothes - cross dressing is very kinesthetic

- I enjoy the creativity of fashion and style - it appeals to my artistic side

- I must admit that as I dress more I enjoy the sexual energy that it provides me, it makes me feel more alive than I have in so long a time

- I like the confidence that it gives me

- I enjoy the feminine fantasy

- I really enjoy how I can relate to the women I have met in a very different, special and enjoyable way (if only my ex wife understood that part)

- I enjoy the new and deeper level of relating that I find that I can have with other CDs - we can connect in a way that normal male bonding does not allow for

- I could go on and on and on - I just love all of it, what else can I say, CDing is the best and worst thing that has happened to me and I would not give it up for anything. It has cost me way too much to get to this point to stop now.

Huggs
    Melissa
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by AERIN View Post
    Salandra,
    I think I know you from somewhere. Didn't you have a sister by the name of Erika?
    I was previously known as Ericka. I recently changed my name. I think I know you as well.

Well said Salandra, Pippilotto, Candy Darling.

I can relate to what all three of you shared, and, the shareing by Raychel, about how the 60's, and 70's girls, went for the macho, or drug guys, and some.like you, and I had no girlfriends. It was the 1980's, before I started to date much, nearly 30 yrs old, and my first one, died at 21, of an overdose, of drugs. I have been a virgin all my life, and, I think that is another reason, I dress, and experience the woman I never had, becoming her, in the mirror, like a parakeet looks into its mirror, and thinks it sees its mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Listen to Karren.

Just FEEL. Trying to figure out WHY is such a masculine trait. That's the way we are. We try to figure stuff out. When the car dies, we try to figure out why. Is the battery dead? Are we out of gas? Is it something more serious? When the car dies on my wife, she gets out and calls the tow truck (or me). She doesn't want to know WHY it dies. She just wants it to run.

Ditto for this CDing stuff. Just ENJOY it! Stop obsessing over why you do it. It don't matter anyway. Try to be more "feminine" and just feel it. Just enjoy it. You will never figure out why. So just relax. This is something you want to FEEL. It's fun. Enjoy!

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    I disagree. I don't think it's "masculine" to want to know the true, complete answer to something. In fact, I'd say that ascribing something like that solely to masculinity is sexist.

It hearkens back to the traditional gender role of men being smart and analytical and women being emotional and intuitive. But there are women psychologists, doctors, lawyers, and scientists. If they tried to get away with saying, "I don't know why; I just feel it" in their jobs, they wouldn't last very long.

I would say that it's simply human to search for and discover the truth. It's what separates us from the animals, which live simply by instinct and impulse.

But here's an argument I think you could relate to better -- if you think about it, there isn't a good reason to discriminate against CDs. But a lot of people do it because they FEEL that it is "gross" or "wrong."

As for why I crossdress... I like to feel pretty. Women get all this beautiful, varied clothing, and as a male of the species, I'm envious of that. Fortunately, we CDs can pick and choose when to be women -- that is, we can decide when we want to be judged based on our clothing, unlike those poor girls who have to deal with it even when they don't feel like dressing up. :P

Yes we met several times at Secrets and you and I were once in a Christmas show at Rainbow Mountain, remember?
    Bet you gals didn't know how talented Salandra is?

Let's just say I had the sore feet to prove it that weekend, Aerin from dancing in those damn heels. I did have a blast that night though.