Thread: Prejudice in the workplace

Unhappy Prejudice in the workplace

I was out last night enfemme, and my bf took me to a nice dinner, but i swear my manager was literally two tables away! I know i caught him looking at me once or twice, and im pretty sure he recognized me.
    My manager is also known for his severe homophobia and arizona is an at-will employment state, so he doesnt even need a reason to get rid of me!

has anybody else here dealt with a situation like this before?

Nope... Never anything even close... Maybe he didn't and your just parinoid? And most jobs are protected by EEO laws... Especially if you play the gay card vs the crossdresser card... (Sexual preference vs gender ID)... Not many EEO statements address gender ID...

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Nope... Never anything even close... Maybe he didn't and your just parinoid? And most jobs are protected by EEO laws... Especially if you play the gay card vs the crossdresser card... (Sexual preference vs gender ID)... Not many EEO statements address gender ID...

Karren
    there arent any really useful laws for employee protection here. Arizona is an at-will employment state, which means that my manager doesnt legally need to supply a reason for termination.

Why expect the worst ?! My suggestion is wait-and-see.

Well I just crossed AZ off my list of places I'd like to retire too!! Kind of a throwback to the old west days if you ask me!! Good luck!!

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Tell him your sister was in town and you look alike.

Aspiring Member
    I think there are only 7 or 8 states that protect gender identity. Can someone clairfy what the difference between gender identity and gender expression? My state is an at will employement state as well. But at will does not mean they can fire you for being gay, black, or any other protected status. Unfortunately, at will gives them the ability to fire you for no reason. "your just not working out" for example. So protected, but not really.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

Question his sanity and make him doubt what he saw.

"I was doing what!!!! hahahahaha Yeah right."

La. is also a at-will state. The E.E.O.C. here will at even let you file a gender complaint before or after a fireing

Quote Originally Posted by Janet99cd View Post
    Tell him your sister was in town and you look alike.
    ill go ahead and try that. i hope it works... and that he doesnt check his facts too well hehe... (only child)

Maybe every time he looked over, he was thinking, "Damn... what a fox!"

Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    Maybe every time he looked over, he was thinking, "Damn... what a fox!"
    i wish.
    i dont quite pass. close, but not quite.

the EEOC and Discrimination laws are federal requirments, has nothing to do with what state you are in.

various states have gotten around various bits in different ways for the hiring process, but once you are past the 90 days probationary period they really can't touch you if you fall into one of the protected catergories, so long as you can prove within reasonable doubt that was the reason you were fired, as opposed to any other reason.

you ever wondered why all the big companies have the 3 strikes policy, it's to protect THEMSELVES from getting accused even, of discriminating against any of the protected classes

How about telling him you have a twin brother who is a crossdresser? Personally, I would go with the denial strategy. Unless he actually came over to you and talked with you there will be some doubt in his mind. If he persists then start questioning why he wants the story to be true so badly.

sexual disscrimination is a fed law and you will win

Sounds like the I.R laws here in Australia.

Our prime Minister introduced these &%#*ed laws here 12 months ago. NATIONWIDE employers CAN sack you on the spot without reason.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

I think a lot of you are missing what she is saying. The manager doesn't have to say "I saw you wearing women's clothes", Or ask, "was that you I saw last night". He can just call her in and say. "You're fired", No reason, no discrimination". The plant where I worked was unionized, and while I don't think anyone was ever fired for crossdressing, the unions would fight it if it happened. Not because they are pro-crossdressing, but because, "What an employee does on his or her own time is none of the company's business".

Who knows maybe he is homophobic because he dreeses as well.

I think he will keep it to himself and not say or do anything. That is what most people would do in that situation as they know they maybe hurting you on a very deep personal level.

Thats what I have encountered in my being outed.

Its not fun wondering what may happen and the others are right, don't worry about it as he may not have identified you. If he has their is nothing you can do about it accept confront him with the risk of outing yourself and confirming his suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by Syuviel View Post
    I was out last night enfemme, and my bf took me to a nice dinner, but i swear my manager was literally two tables away! I know i caught him looking at me once or twice, and im pretty sure he recognized me.
    My manager is also known for his severe homophobia and arizona is an at-will employment state, so he doesnt even need a reason to get rid of me!

has anybody else here dealt with a situation like this before?

I am in the UK and this would be unacceptable for a boss/manager to just call anyone in and say. "You're fired", No reason, no discrimination".

No offence but you seem to be in the dark ages in Arizona when it comes to employees rights etc. I am in a state of shock that this still can happen.

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    I know this may sound like a contradiction, but just b/c your state is an at-will state does not mean they can fire you arbitrarily. They must either document some action that makes you a bad employee or have some other valid reason. Why? Federal employment protections that clearly protect one from harrasment (especially, but not limted to, sexual) or discrimination.

I live in an at-will state, too, but have seen successful defenses through complaints to, and subsequent actions by, the EEOC!!!

All this having been said, if it does come up there is no reason you should admit it was you. Last Halloween as the "trick or treaters" were ending, we went next door to our neighbor's house. Once the "lady of the house" suddenly realizd it was me em femme (and understand, she had come by with her young daughter and talked to my wife and me just a half an hour earlier) she was flabergasted . . . said she had thought it was maybe a visiting relative -- aunt or cousin. (In fact -- lol -- she thought I was a relative of my wife, not of mine.) So, no need to out yourself -- make it a cousin or the like. (((And, if you were to get terminated, don't think your employer can't be held accountable, at-will state or not. Federal laws trump state statutes. It is one thing if you are documented as incompetent -- and they will have to show that corrective action was attempted. It is one thing if you were insubordinate or insolent. It is one thing if they prove having to go through lay offs. There are federal laws that they must follow, state laws notwithstanding.)))

Quote Originally Posted by Jere Oneil View Post
    I think a lot of you are missing what she is saying. The manager doesn't have to say "I saw you wearing women's clothes", Or ask, "was that you I saw last night". He can just call her in and say. "You're fired", No reason, no discrimination". The plant where I worked was unionized, and while I don't think anyone was ever fired for crossdressing, the unions would fight it if it happened. Not because they are pro-crossdressing, but because, "What an employee does on his or her own time is none of the company's business".
    A lot of the at will laws are in place here because of the ILLEAGLES here that are not protected here. As a former employer in this state (arizona) it was a very useful tool fot the employer, although a lot of employers abuse the priviledge and use for thier own weapon of contempt.
    Karen Az is a beatiful state for retirement don't cross us off just yet.
    LOVE & HUGS Georgette

Be who you want to be not what others think you should be
    On the Road to a better Place

If, God put you there, God will help you through it.