Thread: Be careful out there! (frightening news story)

Be careful out there! (frightening news story)

Just ran across this story:

Trans Death Rate A Nightmare
    Attack Average: One Every Three Months

http://www.queerty.com/queer/transge...e-20070328.php
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    We all have to be careful to not tempt fate. When going out en femme, I usually try and make sound judgements as to location, populace (and general type of population -- let's face it, you're safer going out in Ft Lauderdale or Key West than in Dothan, Ala. or Dalton, Ga., etc.). It all depends on where you are going, too. Macon (Ga.) Mall has seen it's fair share of CDs, but it is a busy place, with lots of college kids -- all-in-all, pretty safe. And, there are TG/CD/CD-friendly places all around. The main thing, is use common sense -- the same common sense that would tell you not to be in a certain area even en drab should be listened to when deciding where to go en femme.

Unfortunately Ruby was a sex worker which put her in a risk position. She set herself up for her own destruction sad to say. It is no excuse, but there are those out there, who are that afraid of gay contact that would kill at the mer thought of it.

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar

Death in the Family

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Carter View Post
    Unfortunately Ruby was a sex worker which put her in a risk position. She set herself up for her own destruction sad to say. It is no excuse, but there are those out there, who are that afraid of gay contact that would kill at the mer thought of it.
    Joy,

I got triggered reading what you wrote. I realize that you caused me to consider attitudes that I have that I am not happy with. It gives me food for thought. If anyone else wants to eat from the same plate, grab a fork!

I attended Ruby's vigil, and alongside dozens of Transgendered and friends, marched a few miles from the heart of the Mission District to the place where her body was discovered, where we set up her shrine.

When I looked at her photo, words written for her, the glow of the candles and the TransUnidas Banner saying "Somos tus hijas y hijos. No nos olvides" (We are your daughters and sons. Don't forget us) and her friends in tears and hugging each other on the verge of falling down I recognized that a much loved friend from a loving community had fallen.

Up until that moment I had similar thoughts and see that they supports some nasty ideas:

1. she had it coming
    2. better her than me
    3. glad that transgendered sex workers are taking the heat so I don't have to.

The truth for me, now that I think about it, is that anyone imbalanced enough to kill a transgendered sex worker, is imbalanced enough to kill any transgendered person, or any sex worker.

She was just the canary in the coal mine. Any one of us could be next. And if there is something I can reasonably do about it, and maybe unreasonably, I will do my best.

Being a part of the Transgendered Community is more than sharing the joys and sorrows in the safety of the TG Ghettos, and the shadows. It is also about hearing, and, when possible, heeding the call to step into the light and do the right thing: mourn the fallen, inform the public, or make a stink and demand an equal share of protection and justice.

When I hear "she set herself up", and when I think it myself, someone is setting themselves up. I'll haul out the Martin Niemoeller quote:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.

Who has to get murdered for anyone, or for me to say: ooh! that's going to far, it is time to speak up and take action.

If you ask me, our sister was just murdered.

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

This makes me so sad. You are right Roberta. We do need to step into the light sometimes and speak up. Together we have strength.

It's easy to forget sometimes (well for me living where and how I do) how much hatred and bitterness is still out there. I remember recently being sickened and flabbergasted when one of my all time favourite shows, The Simpsons, made a joke (a very unfunny distasteful 'joke') out of a trans streetwalker being killed. I guess it's not too late to let them know they lost a longtime and loyal viewer with that 5 seconds of casual and callous transphobia.

Let's try to make sure we are part of the solution and not part of the problem ourselves. No one deserves to be hurt for something they can't help.

Thanks for the reminder Cristi, and thanks for your powerful post Roberta. It's nice to have warrior friends such as you.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Carter View Post
    Unfortunately Ruby was a sex worker

Sex worker?
    Rather PC for you, Joy! An important point early in the story makes this an irrelevant criticism- ""Gender non-conforming young people - who have often been shut out of employment, housing and safe environments
    because of their gender identity or expression"". Ruby wasn't out there whoring around because she wanted to be. It was the only viable option in her particular circumstance.
    The big problem is that social unacceptance and bigotry force people into dangerous, illegal means to survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The Gender Public Advocacy Coalition reports that since 1995, at least fifty trans persons under the age of 30 have been brutalized simply for their physical "deviance". And that number will only continue to rise."

The Gender Public Advocacy Coalition For (a group dedicated to pursuing "gender, affectional, and racial equality" through a broad-based national movement) you are a disgrace and loose all credibility as soon as you used the word "deviance".

Deviance - deviant quality or state, deviant behavior.

I think we all know what conclusion society will jump to as soon as they see the word. "deviance". This person was a deviant which means they were a freak, weirdo, pervert or child abuser etc.

Deviant - One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.

Above is the true meaning of deviant. My goodness if you look at the different groups of people in society that fall into that category, we have a heck of a lot of devients out there, possibly more deviants than non-deviants.

Tsk, tsk come on now, Joy

I normally find your posts quite enlightening and thoughtful.

But I take strong exception to this attiutde that this girl had it coming any more than any of us. Most of us are lucky that we have jobs because we have careers and education established long before we came out to the world (if we ever came out. And we are very careful to not let that stream of revenue be jeopardized by our TG status.

In poorer communities all over the world most TG people, especially if they have come out at a young age, are doomed to a life of prostitution. This is a human tragedy that we all need to pause and think about. Most of them can get no other work to put food on the table. They do not become sex workers because they like it. In most cases, it is the only way they can survive.

In Latin America, it is worse. Trans people are subjected to tyrannical abuse by police, right wing groups, and anyone else who wants to take a cheap pot shot at them. And they have no one to speak for them.

Michelia

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar

Speaking up for Joy and Clear Discourse

Joy did not say "she had it coming".

I said that was an idea that I had before I was present at Ruby's vigil.

Joy's words were a trigger for realizing my own prejudice, and judgments.

By all means, look at what Joy has said and reflect on her words (or anybody's words): Please do so accurately!

This is a highly charged subject, and should not be avoided. However, it is important to conduct this discussion with diligence and accuracy.

Such diligence makes the difference between building community and understanding, and tearing it down.

Please consider my example: I got a strong charge after reading what Joy wrote, and by reflecting discovered that my own attitudes deserved a closer inspection. My experience is that it is wise to consider deeply why I have a strong reaction, and what that means about me BEFORE I actually carry out any actions or judgments based on my emotional reaction. I may discover I harbor the same attitudes that I want to judge; I may, alternatively, not harbor such judgments, and I may have a positive concern or anger. It is wise to be clear about this.

If each of us who have a strong reaction begin by examining ourselves and increasing our understanding and compassion for those who triggered us, we will grow, and become more effective in addressing their remarks.

Roberta
    Last edited by RobertaFermina; 03-29-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

My Heroes Wore Nylons Lovely Rita's Avatar
    So sad and so horrifying.
    Hugs

Lovely Rita

The journey is about learning how to love and to do it with all our heart.

The Revolution moves forward!!!!!
    aspiring to be "part of the cure and not the disease."
    to quote Cold Play.

Becoming the person I was created to be
    not the person you expect me to be

"Girls Just Want to Have FUN!"

You don't need an excuse to Love just an opportunity!

none of us are safe every 15 days a transgendered person is murdered some were in this world ..
    and that my friends is why i never wanted to do this anything else but this .. but by the grace of GOD there go I.
    but i have to say i would rather die trying to become a woman than never have tried at all

my god if an employer gave her a chance to prove herself , she might be around now
    Last edited by MJ; 03-29-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My heart Goes out to Ruby and her Family!! It Sad !!

I don't think she set her self up for this..! I think she was just happy for being sooo brave to be able to be in the real world !!

If she set her self up for this Joy.. well then so did ALLLLL of those GG girls that get rape and beaten down Killed and so on ! Wrong Thinking!!!

When It comes to this kind of Grap i think the law should do the Killer the same way as they killed that person and NOT Spend No More then ONE day in Jail but the law Favors the Killers so they can do life or Death and spend the 20 yr in trying to get there conviction over turned.. where the justice in that?

NOBODY DESERVES TO DIE FOR ANY REASON !!! WE GOT ENOUGH KILLING GOING ON IN IRAG

HAVE A GREAT DAY GURLS.

dangerous

In general the world is not a safe place, when one does not fit into the boxes society has decided are those acceptable. I try blend in, in my appearance and actions, when out enfem, which now is all the time. Also I avoid places that I think would not be a safe place for a transwoman. It will be a long time, but perhaps one day the world will be more accepting of the trans community.

Eileen

Banned Read only
    This certainly doesn't condone what happened, but it is interesting that animals will turn on one of their own, and kill it, when they sense that it is somehow defective or not right. Must have something to do with survival of the species. Subconscious, of course.

A good reason to own a gun. As long as your State allows CCW, that is.

Well don't believe everything you read and most of what's on the web... Who knows where that info came from?? Safety is your responsibility.... So your as safe as you make yourself.. In my opinion..

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

A few years back, we had a local murder of a Sista' and it seems that the underlying cause, related to her leaving a local club, with a guy alone, and without telling anyone where she was going, and not having anyone check up to see if she was OK.

NO ONE DESERVES TO DIE! I am saddened to hear about this pointless killing. But, we all need to start paying attention to situations, and surroundings. We have a lot of strange, angry, people who inhabit some of our worlds. We need to start networking and trying to minimize our risks.

I'll get it started if anyone else cares to add to my thoughts, I think that would perhaps help someone else in the future.

1.) All of us are at risk, people involved with sex work probably face risks on the order of X10!
    2.) Go out socially in groups. A hell of a lot harder to beat you up, (or worse), when your surrounded by others who are witnesses.
    3.) Don't get caught alone. If you meet someone and they are caring and interested, you will get ample opportunities in the future to interact with that person. Initially, Best to keep it right there, in a public place.
    4.) Stay our of dark, secluded, places. For the predator's out there, these are called "ambush points."
    5.) Take a course in practical self-defense.

Like I said, probably lots of great ideas around, which might just save someone's life. Please add to my ideas.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    The article is dishonest crap by those with a political agenda. The murder rate for young males is exceedingly high in general. Secondly, the crime and murder rate in the San Francisco Mission District is even higher. (Reference one, and two.)

This person decreased his/her odds of survival by:
    1. being out late at night in a dangerous city
    2. being out late in the worst part of a dangerous city
    3. being a prostitute
    4. being in an area known to be prone to gang violence

I won't say he had it coming to him. That's so wrong as to be evil. However, he did little to nothing to protect himself, which is just as wrong as to be be evil in and of itself. Along with the right to life comes the responsibility to make some effort to preserve one's own life.

Relying on articles such as the one initially posted is generally a bad idea. Stay with primary sources (IE, my first reference), if possible, or at least responsible news sources (IE, my two other references).

Warm regards,
    Christina Nicole
    Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.
    --Susan B. Anthony

Exclamation Anti Transgender violence

Joy, Christine, et all

As an area coordinator for Remembering Our Dead it has been my sad duty to read the list of names of those who have been murdered because they were open about who and what they were. It is all too easy to say that they in some manner brought their fate on themselves by being sex workers or being in a bad section of town. But the truth for many of them is that they have no choice at all if they are to survive let alone transition and be accepted in society as a whole. Think of it - when you come out you risk losing it all. Your family, job, car, house/home, any and everything that you hold dear. It is not unknown for a transsexual to be blacklisted in their profession as long as they present as who they feel they are inside. Finding any kind of a job can be very difficult if not impossible. In many cases even a homeless shelter will not accept you. Faced with that circumstance would you turn to being a prostitute to survive? Some do, and some choose suicide as an alternative. And the suicide rate for transsexuals is also very high. So before you condemn or dismiss them - think - What would I do in the same circumstances? Be thankful for there but for Gods grace go any of us.

Roberta - you were right on in your posts. If you caused on person to stop and think with them you have done well.
    And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

-Anais Nin

Peace,

Alice

Hill Street Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Michelia View Post
    I normally find your posts quite enlightening and thoughtful.

But I take strong exception to this attitude that this girl had it coming any more than any of us. Most of us are lucky that we have jobs because we have careers and education established long before we came out to the world (if we ever came out. And we are very careful to not let that stream of revenue be jeopardized by our TG status.

In poorer communities all over the world most TG people, especially if they have come out at a young age, are doomed to a life of prostitution. This is a human tragedy that we all need to pause and think about. Most of them can get no other work to put food on the table. They do not become sex workers because they like it. In most cases, it is the only way they can survive.

In Latin America, it is worse. Trans people are subjected to tyrannical abuse by police, right wing groups, and anyone else who wants to take a cheap pot shot at them. And they have no one to speak for them.

Michelia

Ladies you have to see where I come from as a retired police officer from a city of 300,000. I know just what can happen to not only females involved in the sex trade. But a transgendered girl trying to pass her self off as a GG. No I didn't get that exact information from the article. But I have seen it several times during my career. I can't recall the TG girls full name but I think it was Gwen Degero (?) She was murdered and they did the story of her life and death on TV last fall. She did engage in sex with at least two males who though she was female. And when they found out different they beat her to death. I was just saying that some are just homophobe enough to kill when they feel their manhood is threatened. Michelia I know you mean well. I'm a big softie in most cases. But I does upset me that someone can kill another over nothing. Please be careful out there.

Joy Carter

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Being a "Sex worker" put her in direct contact with guys who have "Manhood problems" To them CD=Gay which is the ultimate affront to what little self exteem they desparately cling to. Out of ignorance and the sub culture they belong to, they usually fear they are secretly "gay" or are perceived by others as "gay" and will kill to conceil their "secret"----Ironically, they are usually really hetro males with some very stupid and/or unrealistic ideas about what "a man" is supposed to be---So they fear they are "GAY" if they dont "measure up" to certain standards. Oh The Horror!

Any contact or assotiation with a "Gay" is perceived either as a confirmation of their greatest fear or the ultimate public embarrasement(if seen)---They feel DRIVEN to kill or at least seriously beat up---out of either anger or as a public demonstration that they "HATE gays" The logic being that if they can demonstrate publically that they HATE gays, then they CANT be gay themselves, now can they?---No one will ever suspect their "dire secret"(so they hope)

Thanks Joy

I think after reading Roberta's comments and re-reading what I wrote I stand by the gist of what I said. I could (and will) learn a lot about expressing myself (can't we all?) from Roberta and others here. There is a way to say things without sounding confrontational. And I think I did sound a bit confrontational and I am sorry. You are truly a good sport, Joy.

The crudest reality and fact is she probably did set herself up for this (In a manner of speaking, and ironically -even just by the fact she chose to transition!). And Karren is right about each one of us being responsible for our own safety. But the sad underlying truth is many of these people have few choices and little support structure. But then, as a cop, you already knew all this!

Warm regards,

Michelia