Thread: How Many Men Are Crossdressers?

tricot gal

How Many Men Are Crossdressers?

For more years than I would like to admit, I've wondered how many men were similar to me in terms of an attraction to and love for women's lingerie and clothing. A few months ago I purchased an excellent magazine called "Girl Talk". Perhaps some of you are familiar with it as it was devoted to CDs and TGs. One of the columnists quoted a University of Michigan professor Lynn Conway) who has studied this question and other related issues. Her research indicates that 20-30% of all males crossdress at least once during their lifetimes. That represents approximately 27-41 million males. Of that total, she estimates that 3 to 11% dress publicly on a regular basis, i.e., somewhere between 1 and 4 million males. I would be interested in learning about what her figures would be for some of the rest of us who crossdress only privately on a regular basis within the confines of our own homes. Does anyone have an answer to this question or any other relevant information pertaining to my question? I'm looking forward to your responses.

I'm a CD and..well I do it both publicly and privately. so there 1 more male to add to her claculations.LOL

Love,
    Tiffany
    I NEED MORE, HEELS,PANTYHOSE, AND SKIRTS..twitch twitch..

Also I'd like to hear where you got that magazine cause I want one.
    I NEED MORE, HEELS,PANTYHOSE, AND SKIRTS..twitch twitch..

I don't think there will ever be a number put on how many men cd.
    Its not something that men will admit to doing, even regular crossdressers if stoped and asked if they are cd's, most would say no.
    Even though I cd regular its not something I shout about, and if asked to complete a poll I would probably deny it.

umm....

I'm a severe closet CD but I'm in the process of coming out to my family and closest friends. This site kinda made it easy for me because y'all are CD's too, plus as far as I know, none of you know me. lol. The area I live in is really against anything gay or so perceived as gay, so I have adamantly denied it. There's probably a million like me, but it still felt like I was the oly one until recently. Thank God for sites like this!

ginagurl
    Is it an illusion, or is this girl I see really me?

tricot gal

How Many Men Are Crossdressers?

Hi Tiffanygirl. I bought every issue which was published over about a four year period ending in late '03 or early '04 from a dealer in southern California. As I recall there were 22 issues. Each issue had excellent photography of CDs,TGs and impersonators, informative articles about events, book reviews, clothing and makeup tips, letters to the editor and numerous well-written discussions of a variety of issues. The magazine merchant told me last November that "Girl Talk" had ended publishing its mag. I saw somewhere on the internet that there is still a website for Girl Talk, but I don't know what it deals with. By the way, the dealer was selling the out-of-print issues and perhaps there are still some left. The website is www.magsinc.com and the telephone # is (800) 359-2116. Let me know if you are successful in obtaining any issues. Good luck.

StephanieCD
    I'd love a copy of that article if anyone finds it!

I've heard many conflicting numbers on the "how many" question. I think Kew said it's 1 in 10 or something... which I had heard also. I'd heard 1 in 3 tried it at least once and 1 in ten liked enough for it to become a "habit"...

I like those figures. But I think Maddie's right... a seriously aggressive and 100% anonymous survey of thousands would need to be done of a truly random sampling of men.

The answer would be tough to come by in that many men will not admit to it and how many more have the urge but repress it due to what they think that it will make them.
    I'm a CD,and after many years of examining my thoughts and feelings I know that I am not gay or wanting to go through SRS. I do wish that I could venture out dressed more often and be me but we'll see.

Elinor
    If asked in a secret poll I would answer YES.
    If asked on the door step I would answer NO.
    Watch how many cars go along the street, thats how many men crossdress.

55 millon people 5 million cars 10% of population own a car, 99% dress secretly.
    Well something like that!

Full bus drives past it will carry two gay males and two gay females ten [perhaps] male crossdressers and most females crossdress most times.

So you see your normal but you never knew it.

Platinum Member
    i think that at some point in a mans life eather he dose wear or has thoughts of wearing some type of womans clouthing.........not to say that if one trys on something that one would be a crossdresser.........and the ones that say thay never have or have never thought abought it are lieing......................................

If you do a search, you will find earlier threads on this subject. I believe Ms. Conway estimates 1 in every 1,500 are active CDs.

I actually have no idea. We see a lot of figures but how accurate are they? And what is the basis for it? Your guess is as good as mine but I honestly don't think that there are very many here where I live. I've been dressing all of my life and after all this time you get to know the signs pretty well and the signs just aren't there.
    Kisses, Linda

Quote Originally Posted by tricot gal
    ... I've wondered how many men were similar to me .....
    MEN ?? OH NO ! are there really men around here ?
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

I have seen the magazine online and it seems to be pretty interesting. I have thought about getting a subscription but I am leary about it due to the fact that I am worried that the wrong person might find it. I have also thought about getting it online if possible. That would make things a lot easier to handle.

As for the numbers, I don't think that there can be a really accurate study done just due to the fact that there are so many of us that are in the closet. I know for sure that at this point there is no way that I would admit to being a cd in the town that I live in. Even though my wife and I have raised a few eyebrows shopping for lingerie a couple of times in the past. We were in shops out of town so I didn't have to much to worry about with that. But I would deffinately be interested in reading the article that you are talking about just to see what all she had to say about us.

huggs
    anna
    [SIZE=5]Be who you are not who others think you should be.
    May the Great Spirit Bless you in all things.[SIZE=2]
    My website: [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]http://360.yahoo.com/mrsanna_25
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2] The Be-All Website: http://www.be-all.org/
    The National Center for Transgender Equality http://www.nctequality.org/
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMaria
    As for the numbers, I don't think that there can be a really accurate study done just due to the fact that there are so many of us that are in the closet.
    I'll bet that if you asked 100 men if they had ever tried on lingerie, a minority would say yes and nearly all the rest would be lying.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    I'll bet that if you asked 100 men if they had ever tried on lingerie, a minority would say yes and nearly all the rest would be lying.
    Good point Crispy - I think that you hit the nail on the head with that answer.
    XOXO,

Racheal

Quote Originally Posted by Elinor
    If asked in a secret poll I would answer YES.
    If asked on the door step I would answer NO.
    Ditto. Whatever statistics might indicate, I'd have to guess that the percentage is somewhat higher due to the fact that most men wouldn't answer truthfully unless total anonymity was guaranteed. If this poll were taken on a streetcorner via face-to-face contact, the answers would probably run about 99.9% "no" - if it were via poll on a website (even a non-TG oriented website), I'd suspect that the percentage would more accurately reflect the true figures.

StephanieCD
    Quote Originally Posted by sherribicd
    If you do a search, you will find earlier threads on this subject. I believe Ms. Conway estimates 1 in every 1,500 are active CDs.
    That can't be right... please? Oh... who's Ms. Conway?