View Poll Results: What is your marital status?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Married

196 67.59%
  • Never married

36 12.41%
  • Divorced (dressing related divorce)

9 3.10%
  • Divorce (non-dressing related divorce)

32 11.03%
  • Civil union

0 0%
  • Other

17 5.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marital status

Marital status

I'm just curious about the marital status of those who dress, mostly about those who are divorced. I want to know how many divorces are related to dressing and how many aren't. Thanks.

Married 37 years and came out to my wife 10 years ago. It was a struggle, we are still together. These days my desire to dress has fallen off some and as I look back over the years passed with all I obsessed over I just have to laugh. I see you all following along the same road knowing the road will eventually come to an end, so have fun with it while it lasts and don't do anything stupid. The biggest mistake I have seen and experienced are those who take themselves so seriously and we have a few here. It's all aprt of the trip. Have fun!
    Today I dress strictly for fun upon an occasion. I still love to sing enfemme but I can also sing en drab too. I have watched too many gurls plunge down that road of SRS only to regret it.
    The whole world doesn't need to know about you.

Michelleupnorth michelleupnorth's Avatar
    I think my split up was more because of no love left. No it is nice to be who I want to be but if it had anything to do with my divorce it was such a small percentage that I can't put a vote for it.

Dutch girl in Switzerland aka.laura's Avatar
    Married since 1980 (same girl ) came out about 23-24-years ago, still going strong...

There again another interesting question would be how many of the married CDs are out to their wives.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

I am currently married, my second marriage. My first ended after almost thirty years for non-dressing reasons. My first wife did not know; neither does my second wife.
    warmly, Linnea

I seriously doubt - seen in relation to what married women often are willing to put up with - that crossdressing as such would cause a divorce. The rather frequent mention here of "ultimatum" rather seems to indicate that entirely different factors here are at work.

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]My ex-wife found out after our divorce, we went through a nasty 3 years of fighting, with no kids involved, she said she only wish she had known then , she said she would have had me by the [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

I've been married for over 30 years and am still in the closet.

Fran.

I'm seeing a few people who marked "other" and I guess I'm not quite sure what I missed?

Smile

I've been married for 37 years, my wife has known and supportive for 36 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    I'm seeing a few people who marked "other" and I guess I'm not quite sure what I missed?
    Widowed, for one.

Jill,
    I'm a widower.
    What about you .. .you started this and didn't give info about yourself.
    Andi ....

Question for you Jill, what is your status, you didn't say
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Oh, right, sorry. I am never married.

I'm married.

I'm still married.. been with the same woman since 1996. She has no idea I like to dress. I don't know what her reaction would be if she found out but it terrifies me.

-- KP

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    In Canada, "Civil Union" implies that formal papers were filed with a government registrar, and that official who signed the paper was not doing so as part of a religious ceremony in which the official was a registered minister of the religion.
    That is, a religious ceremony might have taken place, but the person who signed the paper wasn't not someone authorized to form unions in that religion. Or there might have been no religious ceremony at all -- there might have been a non-religious wedding ceremony. Or there might have been no ceremony at all and the couple might have just gone and signed pieces of paper at City Hall or any notary or anyone else authorized to sign the papers (e.g., a bookstore owner who registered with the government)

In Canada, "Married" includes having the papers signed by a religious official as part of a religious ceremony (e.g., "a church wedding"... or a Zen sky-diving ceremony... or as part of a Satanist Black Mass...). Canadian semantics: religious ceremony performed by authorized religious person is not a Civil Union.
    But, in Canada, "Married" includes Civil Unions as well as religious unions. And in Canada, "Married" includes Common-Law, which kicks in after 1 year for federal tax purposes and after 2 years for provincial tax purposes (sooner if there is a child of the union.) As best I can recall, in Canada there is no legal difference between Common Law and signing formal papers. Incidently, that applies to same-sex couples as well: the legal cleanups to clear out the last (unconstituational) laws against same-sex marriage formally specified that there shall be no difference between the two, so after 1 year, same sex couples have the same divorce problems that hetrosexual couples do.

Since Canada includes those three forms of marriage (formal legal, formal religious, informal and automatic with time), anyone who distinguishes (as the poll did) between "Married" and "Civil Union" is not using the word "Married" in the same sense it is used in Canada. As the most common understanding of Married vs Civil Union has to do with religious ceremonies, and I did not go through any religious ceremony nor any formal legal one, I figured that for the purposes of the poll, I would be classified as "Other", as I fall into the third class of Married, namely Common-Law.

Banned Read only
    In the US, all marriage is secular. The religious ceremony is just for show. You have to get your papers from city hall. A minister may be able to marry, but they must be certified by the state, so your distinction between religious and secular marriage doesn't hold for us.
    Civil union is a category that has been created for gay people. Many of the benefits of marriage, but falls short. The federal government and many states do not recognize civil unions as marriage in any sense.
    Of course, we also have common law marriage, although the different state deal with it in their own ways.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Eva Diva;809693]In the US, all marriage is secular. The religious ceremony is just for show. You have to get your papers from city hall. A minister may be able to marry, but they must be certified by the state, so your distinction between religious and secular marriage doesn't hold for us. /QUOTE]

In Canada, you don't have to get your papers from city hall: the civil and religious marriage people carry copies of the forms. As long as the forms are signed by the bride and groom and by someone authorized to perform marriages and by one witness (or was it two?), the legalities are satisfied.

If I recall correctly (and I might be misremembering), in Canada, nearly anyone can apply to the government for permission to perform marriages (there's probably a criminal records check or something like that), but that official religions are (I think!) authorized to designate their own people authorized to perform marriages. The people authorized by religion register with the government (probably), but do not have to be approved by the government as would be the case for civil ceremonies. Possibly the distinction I am drawing existed at one time but no longer does; I'm not sure.

But really, what I was describing was Canadian semantics: what do people mean when they say "married" in Canada? And in Canadian semantics, people might say "Civil Union" to describe a wedding that didn't have a religious tie, but they would never use "Civil Union" if there was a religious tie. "Married" semantically includes "Civil Union" here, but "Civil Union" does not include "religous marriage" here.
    Mind you, about the only people who use "Civil Union" are the ones who are trying to get gay marriage repealled in law: the argument usually goes "Reserve the word 'marriage' for hetrosexual; to address the equal rights issue, let homosexual couples have "Civil Unions" that have the same legal standing as 'marriage' but are not {I]called[/I] 'marriage'." Scratch the surface, though, and those people are a festering mass of contradictions: "A same-sex couple cannot be 'married' because 'married' only applies when the couple can reproduce and same-sex couples cannot reproduce!" Oh yeah? So why do we let 90-year olds marry then?

The phrase used in Canada for an official marriage that doesn't have a religious tie is "civil ceremony".

Never married either.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Married, 23 years! Out of the closet and very supported (execpt maybe for the shaved legs).

Hugs.

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

Been married for almost 20 years. My wife found out last year about my dressing and is OK with it right now.

Married 28 years, and my wife only found out about my CDing two years ago. She's supportive. I can go out, and do, as long as it's 50 miles from home.

Lori

Was married 30 yrs wife new from the get go she even would buy cloths with me. Come the divorce she brings it up, bad move on her part can not be used. My lawyer hit her right between the eyes with credit card bills of buying cloths together . So then it was every thing else even 9/11 she still lost I was a house husband, she had to pay me. Some of us do win. I now have a girl friend that loves me dress an we go out together.

Married twice, first wife did not know and I didn't do much in those years. Dressing had nothing to do with our divorce. Second wife and my love for 18yrs has known for 15yrs. She was willing to play kinky and I started to wear her panties and she liked how I looked in them. I have expanded over the years. I bought my first set of silicone breast forms last month. Love them...

Kika