Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Movies Make You Feel Like A Man?

Just two:

predator and apocalypse now

In the Vortex of Entropy between worlds. Well, Minnesota...I guess.
    I think I found myself a pretty near definitive answer to the question - 'What movies make you feel like a man?'

The answer for me comes in two words...

GRIND. HOUSE.

I just saw this flick last night and HOLY CRAP was it phenomenal. It was easily TWO (as it is a double-feature) of the best action/horror/suspense movies I've ever seen.

The features in review:
    1. Terror World: Zombies, Military ops, gunfights, more zombies, hot girls, buckets of gore, still more zombies, big explosions, and it's directed by Robert Rodriguez! What man could ask for more?

2. Death Proof: Hot girls, a psycho stunt-man, fast cars, more hot girls, high speed car chases, quite a bit o' blood (I'm kinda a gore-hound...), crashes at 200 m.p.h., really, a lot of hot girls, sneseless violence! And it was done by Quentin Terintino! Again I ask - 'what man could ask for more?'

I actually had to restrain myself from kicking random people's asses (well not really, but I could have use some random zombie asses to kick) on my way out of the theater. And on my way home, I stuck the cruise at 65 m.p.h. so I wouldn't max the spedometer on my sister's (yeah I rock! I'm driving my sister's car! Mine dead!) car and inevitably get a speeding ticket...BUT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOOOOOO WORTH IT!

So yeah, Grindhouse made me feel like a man...but it also REALLY brought out the bad girl in me too, so I don't know if it can really count in my case...but I still enjoyed it a lot. See it if you haven't!
    Last edited by XDW Nathan-Natasha; 04-19-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Do I really need one? C'mon now!
    [SIZE="3"]Do faith and cross-dressing need to cross swords? I believe not... ~XDW Nathan-Natasha[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"How do you expect my enemies, my friends, and the public in general to understand the meaning of the images that appear suddenly and which I reproduce in my pictures, when I myself, who am the one who 'makes' them, I don't understand them either?"
    ~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by XDW Nathan-Natasha View Post
    1. Terror World: Zombies, Military ops, gunfights, more zombies, hot girls, buckets of gore, still more zombies, big explosions, and it's directed by Robert Rodriguez! What man could ask for more?

2. Death Proof: Hot girls, a psycho stunt-man, fast cars, more hot girls, high speed car chases, quite a bit o' blood (I'm kinda a gore-hound...), crashes at 200 m.p.h., really, a lot of hot girls, sneseless violence! And it was done by Quentin Terintino! Again I ask - 'what man could ask for more?'
    Um . . . how about hot boys? I've seen quite a few Rodriguez and Tarantino flicks, so I know what you're talking about, but the hot girls don't do it for me. At least Rodriguez had Antonio Banderas and Johnny Depp in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, I've never been a huge fan o' boy's myself, Cap'n (Ahoy!) but let me think...

Terror World - One very hot guy sticks out. A gun toting, knife wielding badass named Wray in the movie. He was exceptionally cute, even by my standards. Thin, tan-skinned, muscular, dark and mysterious, takes care of his girl, never misses a shot with a gun (seriously - he never missed in the movie; no Hollywood School of Shooting for this movie character). I think he'd be right up your alley, Lex.
    ...*checking on IMDb to see who played him*...Ah...he was played by Freddy Rodriguez.

Death Proof - No one guy really sticks out. There were probably a few cute guys, but they were really more filler than anything else (you know, just the obligatory college guys at the bar). I mean, they were cute, but the only guy really focused on in Death Proof was the psycho stuntman guy. Not that (at least to me) cute...'less you like older guys with scars running down their faces. He was REALLY sweet and charming though...'till he tried to kill you in or with his car...
    Ah...and he was played by the infamous Kurt Russel.

I hope this helped you Lex. I shouldn't have been so biased and just mentioned 'hot girls'. There were some hot guys, too.
    Sorry Lex, there were no pirates in either movie, though...
    But, see Grindhouse!
    [SIZE="3"]Do faith and cross-dressing need to cross swords? I believe not... ~XDW Nathan-Natasha[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"How do you expect my enemies, my friends, and the public in general to understand the meaning of the images that appear suddenly and which I reproduce in my pictures, when I myself, who am the one who 'makes' them, I don't understand them either?"
    ~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    Um . . . how about hot boys? I've seen quite a few Rodriguez and Tarantino flicks, so I know what you're talking about, but the hot girls don't do it for me. At least Rodriguez had Antonio Banderas and Johnny Depp in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
    My last post was quoting this one, CaptLex, I hit 'quick reply' instead of 'quote'.

But yeah...'Grindhouse' had 'hot boys' in it too. If you liked any of Rodriguez or Tarantino films in the past, you'd love this one.
    ...and Tarantino's 'Death Proof' in 'Grindhouse' was better in my opinion than 'Hostel' - which happened to be a movie with quite a few of your hot boys in it...too bad it was also the bloodiest, most sadistic movie I've ever seen... I mean, yeah...I enjoy my share of blood being spilt...but Hostel took it way too far...

I was going to list other movies I liked with hot boys in it for you Lex, but I can't think of any right now... Wait!: 'Dark City' has a cute main guy...um, 'Lost Highway's main character was pretty cute...'Go' has a few cute guys in it... 'Crank' for sure (I love Jason Statham!!!! If I really liked boys, I'd be soooo after him...manly, English, mature, helluva personality...MAN!) had one, the Hellraiser films (C'mon...you know 'Pinhead' - Doug Bradley - is a hottie! I think he is at least, ya know, for an older dude...but I'm a psycho...). There's probably others, but those are a few I could pull off the top've my head. Oh, one of the main male characters from 'The Eye' (a Chinese horror film) was cute...but then I've always been more attracted to Asian men than other boys...I don't know why...

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by XDW Nathan-Natasha View Post
    Sorry Lex, there were no pirates in either movie, though...
    But, see Grindhouse!
    Ha, ha . . . I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do without pirates this one time then. Thanks for the rundown on Grindhouse - especially with particular attention to the hot guys. I know Freddy Rodriguez from Six Feet Under (and he is a cutie) and Kurt Russell is getting older, but he's still got it. I'll have to check it out.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guy movies? I'd like to recommend

Conan the Barbarian

Hot Fuzz (out now, from the makers of Sean of the Dead see this movie!)

Bad Boys II

The Protector (with Tony Jaa)

300 (just watching this movie will cause you to grow a pair)

To Wong Foo, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar (Just kidding)

Ong Bak (More kick ass Muay Thai action)

The Transporter (1 or 2)

Pitch Black. (Best Vin Diesel role ever)

Notes on a scandal (again, kidding)

Cabin boy/Purser :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Violetgray View Post
    To Wong Foo, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar (Just kidding)
    Hehe silly

Is a cool film though.

As are the others you've listed. Ahhh good taste there Violet.

I haven't seen 300 yet though but I'm chomping at the bit, cannot wait to see it.
    I don't need advice on how to be a man. I just am one.

www.dec.org.uk <-- in desperate need of our help.

YO, yeh you! Please pray for &/or send your positive thoughts and love to Carol. And for Dominic, and Steve, and Karl. Miracles do happen, let's make them! Thank you kind person! And for Tristan's grandad to get better. & lovely Taylor. Pleease.

PLEASE PRAY 4 CAROL'S LAST DAY OF RADIATION TREATMENT TO HAVE WORKED COMPLETELY EXCELLENTLY AND DESTROYED ALL THE BADNESS!! THANK YOU!

Poc, mate, you must see 300. It is one of the awesomest movies out there. Afterwards I totally wanted to run around half-naked and stab things with spears.

Cabin boy/Purser :)
    Quote Originally Posted by happyfish View Post
    Poc, mate, you must see 300. It is one of the awesomest movies out there. Afterwards I totally wanted to run around half-naked and stab things with spears.
    Hehehe I so want to see it. It's at the cinema here at the moment.
    I don't go to the cinema very much though. (Even though I'm a film geek haha!) Because it sometimes likes to set my balance thingy off... all that visual stimulation in a darkened room doh

Can't wait to see it though
    My mates tell me it's awesome too!

ps. running around half naked with a spear sounds fun
    I don't need advice on how to be a man. I just am one.

www.dec.org.uk <-- in desperate need of our help.

YO, yeh you! Please pray for &/or send your positive thoughts and love to Carol. And for Dominic, and Steve, and Karl. Miracles do happen, let's make them! Thank you kind person! And for Tristan's grandad to get better. & lovely Taylor. Pleease.

PLEASE PRAY 4 CAROL'S LAST DAY OF RADIATION TREATMENT TO HAVE WORKED COMPLETELY EXCELLENTLY AND DESTROYED ALL THE BADNESS!! THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by happyfish View Post
    Afterwards I totally wanted to run around half-naked and stab things with spears.
    Heck, I wanna do that EVERY DAY! Well... with spears, and other polearms, and swords, and hack stuff up with axes, and bludgeon with maces, and flails, and oooo...especially slice n' dice with scythes, I LOVE scythes! I should get a weapon proficiency in them! I'm such a GIRL!

Another man movie: 'Deliverance'. I watched 'Mean Creek' last night and it reminded me of 'Deliverance'...it wasn't as good, and didn't have as much excitement and pretty much consisted of a cast of junior high/high school kids...but it had the spirit of its forefather at least. It was definitely a better 'up shi...p creek' movie than 'Without a Paddle', which I DID enjoy, don't get me wrong. It just didn't have that feel, ya know?

~ Salvador Dali
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would definitely recomend Grindhouse. I saw it two days ago and it was fantastic, the first half seems a llittle more male oriented while the second half is a more of the female action hero sorta thing, regardless it was a movie we all could enjoy.
    A Member of the Revolution.

I saw Hot Fuzz and that was awesome. But I'm a sucker for british movies.

What else, superman, I love superman movies (not so much 3 or 4 but I'll still watch them on occasion). I even watch smallville cause it's about superman. I think it's because it's such a old story (been around since 1938) and has such a great story. My mom even has pictures of me when I was little in a superman costume.

And surprisingly Knight/King Arthur movies. I've got King Arthur, the First Knight, Dragonheart, those kind of chivalry movies. I see myself as old fashion and rather chivalrious myself so I love those romantic movies.
    Last edited by jsoto81; 05-04-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by jsoto81 View Post
    And surprisingly Knight/King Arthur movies. I've got King Arthur, the First Knight, Dragonheart, those kind of chivalry movies. I fashion myself as old fashion and rather chivalrious myself so I love those romantic movies.
    Love those kinds of films, they always make me feel manly. There's something about thinking about riding a horse and slaying people that'll do that I think! Also, the scenes in LOTR with the knight type characters in give the same type of reaction

Tears of the Sun, We Were Soldiers and war films like that make me feel strangely manly too, like I'm masculine enough to be 'one of the guys'in that type of situation.
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Oh I love lord of the rings. I always want to watch them but never have 3 hours to spare. I need to sit down and finish reading the books.

I love star wars too, I love the old ones for the stories and to look that they have and I know that it's 30 years old and they did such amazing things, but I love the new ones for the CGI (the way the original trilogy could have looked if they had the technology) and the kick @$$ lightsaber fights. Those are awesome. I'm actually going to C4 (a star wars convention here in LA, yes I'm a big nerd) and I'm making Anakin's Revenge of the Sith costume.

And I'm always up for a good car chase. Gone in 60 Seconds (the new one and the original one) and Bullit.... oh and the fast and the furious movies. Fast cars and hot women can't beat that with a stick.... or fast cars and hot men which ever one you prefer.
    Last edited by jsoto81; 05-04-2007 at 02:07 PM.
    Ben

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

Movies that make me feel manly are the ones with blood, guts, gore, explosions, blood, stunts, gunfights, explosions, sword battles, blood, monsters, and explosions. I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and horror (especially horror), but I also like Action/Adventure and other such films. I like movies that make most women cringe, so that adds to the manly alure of a hardcore violent film.

A few particular films I like are Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribean, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Silent Hill, and like John, I also like Dog Soldiers (okay, so I love Dog Soldiers... in a manly way).
    Story of my life –>

When I was a kid, I use to watch a lot of horror flicks with my brothers. I think it was always the fighting movies that got me feeling like a man. Watching Stallone in Cobra made me get up and go punch my brother in the face. Watching Van Damme in Bloodsport and Kickboxer made me put down a blanket and start fighting with my brothers.

Now as an adult, I still have the same tendencies at times. Whether it be through angry music making me drive too fast or angry movies getting me pumped up, it makes me want to go pick a bar fight haha. I restrain myself mostly to my punching bag. I guess I'm a total brute around men, but I'm a total sap with the ladies.

OH I remember Sylvester Stallone action movies...used to watch those all the time with my brothers. *laughs* we used to watch ALL the bad action movies. Anyone else remember Konan the Barbarian?
    I wanna know, can you show me
    I wanna know about these
    strangers like me
    Tell me more, please show me
    Somethings familiar about these strangers like me

Quote Originally Posted by jsoto81 View Post
    After that it's fight club. Once again after that movie I feel so much like a man, but this time instead of being sophisticated and daring, I just want to beat the crap out of something. I have the urge to fight and get the crap beaten out of me.
    Definitely know what you mean there. I really need to read the book.
    Another movie is The Lord of the Rings. All of them. They have that great mix of battles, comradery, adventure. All kinds of things. Makes me want to go out in search of my own adventure.

...Make me feel like a man, eh? What would the criterea for that category be?
    ...I suppose that since a movie that makes you feel like a woman is one that makes you feel emotional and cry (for the record, Monsters Inc.), a movie that makes you feel like a man would be one that makes you want to punch someone/thing... sounds about right.

In which case, I'd have to say that "Freak Friday" with Lindsay Lohan makes me feel more like a man then any movie ever has

Put this one in your Netflix queue

OK, so a MtF's viewpoint may be suspect, but for me a really, really manly movie is The Duellists (1977). Ridley Scott's directorial debut, starring Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel as officers in Napoleon's army who fight a series of duels resulting from a horrible perversion of the honor code among gentlemen. The dueling scenes are agonizingly realistic (except that historical duels never lasted more than a few seconds) - and yet really cathartic.

The movie benefits enormously from the odd combination of civilized gentlemen wearing those goofy Napoleonic costumes who routinely descend into brutal barbarity. And we come along for the ride - willingly - while being horrified at what we see.

Worth a view, and indispensible watching for anyone who fancies swordplay in movies. (Bill Hobbs was the fight choreographer.)

Erica
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

Oh I love Ridley Scott Movies, the are always filmed so beautifully.
    Ben