Thread: Backhanded compliments

Backhanded compliments

A post in another thread reminded me of something that happened to me many years ago.

I had a GF at the time - the only one I've ever had that actually encouraged my dressing - who kept challenging me to take it farther and actually go out dressed.

Well, finally one weekend I agreed. She presented me with a brand new wig and some pretty, yet conservative heels. I think she spent half the afternoon doing my makeup. She was an artist by training so what she could do with the warpaint was AMAZING.

The plan was simple, we'd go to the local mom and pop video store, rent a couple movies and buy a bag of popcorn. She did all the talking and I was just there to be seen

Talk about sensory overload... There were only a few people in the store but I swear every guy in there undressed me with his eyes. Only the women looked at my face but no one gave any hint that anything was amiss.

I was totally pumped when we walked out so when my GF suggested we go next door to the Liquor store to pick up a bottle of wine to celebrate I was all for it.

The Liquor store turned out to be a little more challenging. We got hit on!!! This one guy, not entirely sober, walks up to us and scans both of us head to toe and says something like "You chicks looking for a party? The party's at my place, just the 3 of us" - Backhanded compliment #1

We proceeded to the checkout line - quickly - and while we were waiting I slipped up. I nervously gave my GF a little peck on the lips. Some of the other patrons saw and my GF knew it so she responded by grabbing my ass and breast and laying a huge wet sloppy tongue kiss on me almost knocking me off my heels.

She paid for the wine before I fully regained my composure and we were on our way. On the way out the door though we heard the gumbling from another of the patrons "F---ing Dykes" - Backhanded compliment #2 (Homophobic and crude as it may be...)

People can be rude, crude, ignorrent and hateful, so take your compliments where you can find them and the joke will be on THEM.

Lucky girl!!! Most never have a girlfriend that will go that far...

Why is it I never get any comments like that? Guess its because there are no drunks in the dress department of Macys and no other women want to grab this old ladies ass!! Hehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

The best compliment I ever got was, "You look pretty good for a fat guy in a dress."
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmenetta View Post
    This one guy, not entirely sober, walks up to us and scans both of us head to toe and says something like "You chicks looking for a party? The party's at my place, just the 3 of us" - Backhanded compliment #1

On the way out the door though we heard the gumbling from another of the patrons "F---ing Dykes" - Backhanded compliment #2 (Homophobic and crude as it may be...)

People can be rude, crude, ignorrent and hateful, so take your compliments where you can find them and the joke will be on THEM.
    I'm confused . . . how can you consider either one of these compliments - backhanded or otherwise?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I don't see how either of those were "backhanded compliments". The first one was just a guy being a perv. The second sounded more like a blatant insult. I always thought a backhanded compliment would be something like this:

Person 1: Wow, that's a nice hair do.
    Person 2: Thanks.
    Person 1: Yeah, it takes away from your bad skin.

That said, congrats on a good time out...
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

Aspiring Member
    I love compliments, and do get them from time to time. I've gotten compliments on my clothes and even a GG complimented me on makeup once saying it brings out my eyes. Sure, I've gotten rude stares but to me, they are just jelous, they wish they could pull it off like I do.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

I beleive she was looking at the upside. While they weren't very flattering They were compliments because she was passing. Drunk guy was looking for some alone time with 2 cute girls. And to be called a dyke after kissing your girlfriend you are obviously passing. That is why they were compliments however they were truly meant to be taken. She is taking them as compliments and I applaud her for that
    If something doesn't make you happy Change it

Banned Read only

When I was taking the kids for trick or treating

at Halloween a women made a number of comments on my outfit (I was wonder woman) and one was I looked you look great and is that cleavage I see? (It was I used a nu-bra to make force it.) She then said you look awesome! No smirk or smile. I was not sure how to take it especially since my wife was standing there. Wish I saw her later, oh well.

I am 6' tall and thin and had a corset on, so I did have a figure.

Compliments

After a night out, a tgirl friend of mine (Kysmet from this forum) and I went to a restaurant in Austin that has been very friendly. The hostess at the counter looks at both of us, gives a huge and warm smile, and said "you two make VERY pretty girls"!
    I didn't know if I should laugh or cry because on the one hand she thought we were pretty, but on the other hand she pegged us instantly. I laughed and said "We must not be THAT pretty if you clocked us that fast"!
    Kim

Im a guy who likes bras Theresa(TGirl)'s Avatar
    Haha, after I read the part about you kissing your gf while dressed, and then her coming back and kissing you like she meant it, that was just classic.
    *hugs and kisses*

Terri

I know I have liked to "back hand" someone for some of the comments I got.

Okay, let me imagine myself as the guy in the liquor store. I see two beautiful women and imagine that, in my drunken stupor, if I say something to them they will come home with me and have wild sex all night. (Those are wonderful women!) So I say something to them and they reject me, but they kiss each other. (Those are bitches!) There is no rocket science to men.

You should have responded with, 'she is my wife' in a deep voice. :-)

Many years ago on halloween I was dressed in a black mini dress had a cheap blond wig on and entered a small bar/resturant with my wife. As soon as we entered the door a drunk old guy got up almost as fast as the staff door person to meet us at the door. I was a bit scared and at the same time it was a huge complement. We sat down and luckly he went back to his seat. Then we bumped in to someone we knew and had to do some explaining.

The closest backhanded comment was from a girl in a bar on another halloween who said 'I used to have a nice dress like that' meaning it was outdated, but I looked good. The kicker was that my wife overheard and it was a dress I borrowed from her that she often wore...she was none too happy (I thought it was very funny).

Aspiring Member
    Yeah, I would say that they were backhanded comments.....obviously people thought that you were both women and so they are probably more rude and crass than backhanded if you ask me!

One of the best compliments I ever got (not at all dressing/passing related, but still) was ages ago in college .I was visiting my girl friend in her dorm room. Her roommate was folding her laundry. My GF was shocked that her roommate would fold her undergarments with a guy in the room. Her roommate's response: It's only K_____.

Yay, one of the girls!

Short Skirts & Long Legs
    Funny you mention the show of affection with your gf, when my wife and I went out shopping a few weeks ago I naturally reached for her hand, yep we still hold hands after 20 years of marrage...good naturely she grabbed my hand and made the remark about giving the people, of whom none of them knew us something to talk about...

Personally I think that taking those comments as compliments is a much better approch to the situation than looking at them the other way around. While both were rude and crass, at least in both cases the people thought that it was two women and not that it was a man dressed as a woman. So in a way it was a compliment.

Of course being the person that I am I would have probably slapped the first guy just for thinking that he might actually get lucky. As for the second I would have probably responded with something like "It's because of a**holes like you that we are the way we are in the first place."

But then even some of the women who know me and don't even know about Anna consider me to be something of a Bi**h so for me it would only be a natural reaction to the situation.

Anna
    [SIZE=5]Be who you are not who others think you should be.
    May the Great Spirit Bless you in all things.[SIZE=2]
    My website: [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]http://360.yahoo.com/mrsanna_25
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2] The Be-All Website: http://www.be-all.org/
    The National Center for Transgender Equality http://www.nctequality.org/
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

the only coment's i ever get is it's hell to get old (but hey i'am still breathing)and thats the best part

susie

Talking Left handed compliments

You took 'em in Style. You have broken down the wall that most of us only dream about reaching. Let alone going through. Congradulations!!!!!
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.