Thread: Don't ask, don't tell ??

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar

Don't ask, don't tell ??

I saw a good IT vacancy on a local (UK) job agency website recently.

However, because they did work for our military, I would have to be Security Checked (SC).

Are they likely to pick up a (closet) CD like me? I'm quite law-abiding and boring, so I know there wouldn't be anything else to mess this up for me.

Actually, I wouldn't mind working for a company where HR (etc) knew about Sandra.

However, I would really wouldn't like my SO to find about her.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts, etc on this, as I'm tempted not to apply for this job, even though this isn't the only vacancy that needs it.

Sandra the unemployed
    Sandcastle is a bit buried.

Unless they check a reference who may know you're a crossdresser, and they divulge the information, then I don't see how they would find out.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

sandra
    the work I do I have had security checks done regularly . They are not checking whether you are a cd or not thats hardly a threat to national security. (you know what they are checking for )

Aspiring Member
    Sandra,

I never told the Civil Service when I joined that I was a crossdresser (although I now know I'm TS, but thats another story!) and had to be security vetted at the time, and as far as I know it wasn't an issue - they never asked - I never told.

But their question is, are you open to blackmail? If someone finds out are you willing to come out into the open? or will a blackmailer win?

That's all any security vetting is about.

Deb

Sandra, I can't say for sure about how it works in the UK but here in the US it isn't a problem. For many years I held a Top Secret clearance. I was a CD,or so I thought, during this time. Now that I found out I'm a TS I still don't think it would be a problem unless you told them.
    Kisses, Linda

Sandra, I would say, in general, the people who are doing your security check don't like surprises. In other words, they won't hold it against you if you admit, up front, you are a crossdresser or TS, or whatever. But, if they find out through some other means, or you are being blackmailed(extorted)because of your CDing, etc., they won't like that at all. You have violated their trust. As to whether your SO would find out visavis the security check, I can't really say.

Vikki

100% spoiled brat christina marie's Avatar
    interesting... from a professional standpoint, i would have to say that if i was considering hiring you for the stated position, and i knew about your passion pre hiring, i probably would pass you by for a less qualified candidate,who was more stable. i must admit that this opinion comes from living in the TG community,(not actively,strictly in closet) i would view it as a weakness that could be exploited for purposes of blackmail, etc. as a construction worker, i must keep my grrl hidden from my professional world 100% at all times, and seems to give me the balance i need. evaluate your goals for your girlie time. do you need to be her at work? will this increase your risk level with your S.O.? can you separate the two worlds and still be content? my main concern as an employer would be the stated security clearances required,and any "unusual behavior" would definently raise a red flag.please do not take any offense, as I have tried my best to see this question from an employers standpoint.We girls do have to put forth a professional air,after all.Good lingerie is SO not cheap!
    "you can have this nail file when you pry it from my cold ,dead hands."

[SIZE="3"]For me it is a no brainer, I wouldn't tell them anything about it, and could truthfully say no to being open for blackmail. If I was approached about giving up secrets for their silence I would go straight to a supervisor and lay it all out, and then tell anyone else of consequence, I would never betray my country over a little thing like crossdressing, but then I am almost to that point where I just don't care what people think of me anymore, Ahhhh Freedom![/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Your thread title says it all...

I recommend not saying anything. If they are told something about your crossdressing, they will likely comeback to you to verify...but first someone has to raise it to them! I held a TS/SCI clearance while in the reserves and know my ex-wife had suspicions about my being a crossdresser (she had found my small bag of lingerie once before we were divorced). Sometimes, I wonder whether she mentioned it in her interview; but I was never asked about it by any officials. In the US, I know, if we request it, we can see the investigation notes from interviews of references.

If I were in your shoes...heels...hee hee...I wouldn't let your enjoyment of wearing women's clothes be an impediment to applying for that position. GO FOT IT!

Good luck,

PaulaJeanette
    Love to wear matching bras, panties, and garter belts

Doesn't get out much. sandcastle's Avatar
    Thanks all for the well-considered advice.

Sandra

If you do not plan on going to work en femme I doubt it would ever be an issue. If they ask do not lie if they do not ask there is no need to volunteer any information.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

CIA report

See what the CIA has to say about crossdressing
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Carin, that link was very interesting! The date on the report is 15 years old but the info is still quite valid, I think.
    "I see your true colors shining through, your true colors, and that's why I love you,
    so don't be afraid to let them show, your true colors, true colors are beautiful, like a rainbow"

"Without change,something sleeps deep inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken!"[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I say go for it and just don't tell about the dressing in my thinking that your business
    Angie