Thread: Piercings For Butching Up

Bronx, NY, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Galaxy, The Universe

Piercings For Butching Up

I guess I have to offer a big recommendation for a NO on the high-ear ones in the cartilage. Just got my second infection in four months, and removed the sucker.

What do y'all think -- an ear cuff instead? No piercing involved.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

I feel you, Das, I've had horrible ear infections from earrings. (Apparently I'm allergic to nickel and silver metal.)

Ear cuffs are pretty cool looking, I think.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

*looks up ear cuff*

Yeah, that would probably be a safer idea. You could try magnetic stuff too, but that sounds like a recipe for frantic backing-searches.
    Resident Minerologist/Usefully Useless Fact Purveyor.

If it causes problems, then don't bother. Ear cuffs look as good as ear rings IMHO so I'd say go for it.
    Story of my life –>

Yeh, I think there must've been nickel in my barbell, and that would contribute to irritation.

Just mentioned it in case someone else could benefit from my mistake.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
    *looks up ear cuff*

Yeah, that would probably be a safer idea. You could try magnetic stuff too, but that sounds like a recipe for frantic backing-searches.
    Magnetic earrings HURT if you wear them more than a few hours. Basically your ear is being pinched fairly hard for a long time.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Hey Das,
    I have had cartilidge piercings several times, and the problem I always had with infection was hair product (gel, mouse, leave in conditioner) getting on the piercing and causing inflamation. The last time I had cartilidge piercings done (actually bought the kit from Walmart and SO did em for me) I had to be very careful if I put anything in my hair, and had to wipe down my ear with a damp cloth after.

Ear cuffs would be a cool way to get around a piercing, and they look awesome as well!!

Nic

Das, question - how did they pierce it? gun or needle?
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Gun, I think. I remember it was the safest option. Had it done back in September.

It was sooooo nice to sleep on my right side last night! Hadn't done that without propping my face up on my fist for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein9 View Post
    Gun, I think. I remember it was the safest option. Had it done back in September.

It was sooooo nice to sleep on my right side last night! Hadn't done that without propping my face up on my fist for a very long time.
    Yeah, if you go to a piercing shop that primarily uses a gun, think twice about them. Piercing guns in the piercing industry are usually used by amateurs. The great thing about them using just a plain old needle is that they use the whole thing once and discard it. It's harder to have that kind of sterility with a gun. That might be why yours got infected.

It seems like some people just can't be pierced, though. I've known people who kept getting pierced and would always get infections or their body would reject the jewelry. Then there are people like me who have never had an infection and can just be pierced all up and down. It would suck if you're the infection type. It might not be worth it to get pierced again. I say stick to the cuff.

Yeh, all I really recall is having it explained to me, and I chose the option that used a brand-new needle and where it was discarded. I just don't remember how it was done, since I couldn't watch.

I'm thinking a sterling silver cuff is the way to go. Now, just to find one.

The whole reason for the piercing in the first place was to keep my pencil behind my ear, which became a problem with my shorter haircuts.

Gun They banned that in the UK, it's classed as body piercing now... you have to have it done the same way they pierce your naval And, having it done via gun is probably why it got infected
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG View Post
    Gun They banned that in the UK, it's classed as body piercing now... you have to have it done the same way they pierce your naval And, having it done via gun is probably why it got infected
    yup im with Tam on this one

XD There're probably other ways to keep a pencil behind your ear, Das, though an ear cuff is probably one of the less dorky solutions. :P
    Resident Minerologist/Usefully Useless Fact Purveyor.

Oh, I don't mind being dorky. That's something to look forward to with the getting older -- not caring about dorkiness and such.

Oddly enough, for the first time in my life, almost everything in my music collection is approved of by the Cool Police. The key is to not care, and play the old stuff that you like. If you don't care what other people think, they fall all over themselves trying to be like you. Weird, eh?

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Ooh!
    I, for one, love ear cuffs. If you do end up getting a sterling silver one, though, I think those ones tend to tarnish easily, and they'd be hard to clean with silver cleaner. I'm not 100% sure, though. Another option is stainless steel, if you prefer the silver look to the gold look (which I do-- gold makes me look jaundiced).
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

Yeh, the barbell was supposed to be stainless. I think I'll stick to the antibacterial metal. Besides, a swipe with toothpaste, and the tarnish goes bye-bye!

Cabin boy/Purser :)
    White gold is good if u like silver jewellery but can't wear anything but gold....
    I used to have really sensitive ears that got sore easily.
    They heal up really fast when I don't wear anything in them. I'm always having to pop them open again haha ew
    I don't need advice on how to be a man. I just am one.

www.dec.org.uk <-- in desperate need of our help.

YO, yeh you! Please pray for &/or send your positive thoughts and love to Carol. And for Dominic, and Steve, and Karl. Miracles do happen, let's make them! Thank you kind person! And for Tristan's grandad to get better. & lovely Taylor. Pleease.

PLEASE PRAY 4 CAROL'S LAST DAY OF RADIATION TREATMENT TO HAVE WORKED COMPLETELY EXCELLENTLY AND DESTROYED ALL THE BADNESS!! THANK YOU!

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Toothpaste removes tarnish? Cool, I didn't know that. I'd imagine it's cheaper than silver cleaner, too.
    Not that I own any silver, haha!
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.