Thread: Sophie`s been out dressed in public again.

Sophie`s been out dressed in public again.

Hiya, I haven't posted for some time, but it is Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK and I decided earlier in the week that I would go out dressed today.

So I thought I would drop you a line to let you know how it went.

Deciding to go out is very easy to do, its the stepping out that is very hard.

I really like this outfit, and I wanted to see if I could pass in this one, so this morning I got up early, 5am, and I was ready to go out by 7.30am.

It does take me an age to get fully ready.

There was a problem being ready by 7.30, the store I planned to go to did not open until 10am.

I used the time to practice, although I never stop doing that when I am dressed, had breakfast and a cup of coffee also, the minutes ticked by, and eventually 10 o`clock was looming!

I have 6 full length mirrors and I use them to view all the angles, and at 9.55 decided to have one more look.

Now its 10am, my stomach is now turning upside down, do I really need to go out in public to see if I can pass?

Those who know me from earlier posts know that the answer is yes.

The questions and excuses not to go are at their peak now, it would be so very easy to just not go. Where is the courage needed to go out in public dressed? As a Christian, prayer is something I can do, and so following a little prayer I stepped out of my front door, locked it behind me and got into my car, being in the car is not a lot different to being in the house, quite secure.

I had decided that I would visit another MFI furniture store (last time out was an MFI store), why a furniture store? Mirrors, they do have a lot of them, great for me.

I arrived at the store, there was only one car on the car park, I was now thinking, oh dear, 20 staff and me, I had visions of them wanting to help me!

Anyway, I decided to go in, I didn't see a soul at first, so I wandered off to the bedroom section, and spent some time wandering in and out of the displays, other customers were starting to arrive, I was able to walk past staff, and customers with out any reactions at all, great!

I was able to make full use of all the mirrors in the store, I could probably tell you where they all are, some were in great positions where you could see yourself walking along an isle, some you just come across and saw yourself unexpectedly, that was pleasant.

I was keeping my eyes open, I did not want to see a little staff "get together" if they had spotted a man dressed as a woman in their store, that is what I would have expected.

Well nothing happened at all, fantastic! While I was looking at a wardrobe, a member of staff did ask me if I wanted some help, I was able to make some sort of noise and wave her away, and nothing came of that either.

In all I spent about half an hour in the store, feeling quite confident, but unless I do this on a regular basis, I will never feel 100% confident, I really need to do it more often, but I am very much a part time CD.

I have included these pics of my outfit, and as always welcome comments both good and bad (you can always PM me negative comments if you prefer), I have taken all past comments into consideration, and hopefully have been able to apply them in this recent public excursion.

3 areas that I have been working on, shorter steps, eye makeup and a smile, the last one very difficult to do when you are very self conscious of what you are trying to do, but I think I have managed a balance between Mona Lisa and a Cheshire Cat

I also used a spray on foundation, Era, I have to admit, I like it.

Sophie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sophie -- You look so natural, so blendable in those pics. I'm sure that is the reason you were able to shop without arousing any suspicion. Getting that confidence is not easy, but, from the look of your pics, you should be well on your way.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

You are a very pretty woman. You should not worry at all dear!

In fact if you were about 2 feet shorter you would look like one of my ex-girlfrend. The first think that shot to my mind was RUBY?(her name) LOL

Glad all went well for ya.

Love, Beth
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

Thumbs up No need for you to worry

The pictures show a feminine woman standing.

You look great!!

You look sensational, and you'd absolutely blend in perfectly. Nice garage door too. Tina will be jealous!

Joyce
    Visit my website at:
    http://www.geocities.com/joyce1702/

[SIZE="3"]"Make Music Not War"[/SIZE]

with a look like that it`s no wonder you got away with it.

I wish i looked as good and had the nerve to go out.

[SIZE="3"]Lookin' good!![/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Dear Sophie,

If you can't pass, there is little hope for the rest of us. You are a very attractive, no, very pretty girl!

Rita B

Sophie you look terrific. You are definitely passable and I would not hesitate at all to accompany you on a shopping outing, me dressed in drab of course. By the way you are very attractive too.

I wouldn't worry one bit. Try a Kohl's or some other larger department store far from home where you will definitely not meet someone that may know you. Then if they read you, "so what".
    Last edited by AllieSF; 05-28-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Sophie....I am sure you read my post about going to a local shoe store. Like you, I don't do this a lot, and I too take a long time to get ready. On average, I spent at least 45 minutes to an hour getting ready. I have noticed in most cases, that as long as you are presented well, your not over or under dressed, that most people will take you as what you present yourself as. I spent over 30 minutes trying on shoes, miggled with other customers and staff, and even had to use my fem voice a few times. The most enjoyable part of shopping was when I was looking at some shoes and this little girl got in front of me. I heard her mother tell her to come back to her and leave the lady alone. She then had her daughter apologize to me, I smile at the little girl and told her it was OK. She smiled back at me. I even got complimented on a shoe selection and how well it went with my outfit. That and the little girl made the whole adventure well satisfying.

BTW, your outfit looks great. I can see from your photos that you have no problem passing too.

confidence

Sophie all you need to do is get out more often. You look absolutely great. The more you go out the more your confidence will increase.

Eileen

Sophie you look fantastic - i would have been priviliged to have gone out with you. And I love the outfit, the hair, makeup - everything in fact!

mitch

Smile Sophie.....
    You look great and the only thing missing is the smile. Self confidence by now should be of no concern. Take a day and go shopping, out for lunch, what ever your heart desires, you will not have any problems. I started to say good luck but how about sending some my way. Have a wonderful shopping trip dear.

Thank you so much.

Do you know, I find it very hard to believe that I was actually out yesterday dressed in that outfit, and it is just over 24 hours ago, wow.

Also before I set off, I was thinking that maybe I was a bit over dressed, that pink top is so cute I thought it may be too much, in the past I would have worn a jacket, but fortunately I have quite a slim figure and the cardigan worked well I think.

I cannot show my arms as they really do have a male shape to them, same with my legs sadly, but I love wearing trousers anyway.

JoAnn, thanks, you reminded me of the time when I went into a store buying fuel, had to queue to pay for some goods, and the assistant on the till called me "love", trying shoes on is an ambition yet to be fulfilled.

Mitch, thanks, I recently read your out in public account, and found that encouraging, you have been a very prolific poster since joining the forum, and I love your avatar, cute!

Sophie.

I wouldn't even notice you.... Er.. Scratch that... I would look because you look like a GG. I'll bet you even passed "the teenager test".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    However long it took you, it was worth it! You have that "I just threw something on and I look fabulous" look.

Silver Member
    That is a very classy look! If I could look half as good as you do in your pictures, I wouldn't hesitate to go out in public. I hope you have many more successful outings, which can only build your confidence. I think that self-confidence is the most important thing any woman can wear. You have absolutely nothing to be nervous about. Go for it, sister, and give hope to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Haworth View Post
    Thank you so much.

Do you know, I find it very hard to believe that I was actually out yesterday dressed in that outfit, and it is just over 24 hours ago, wow.

Also before I set off, I was thinking that maybe I was a bit over dressed, that pink top is so cute I thought it may be too much, in the past I would have worn a jacket, but fortunately I have quite a slim figure and the cardigan worked well I think.

I cannot show my arms as they really do have a male shape to them, same with my legs sadly, but I love wearing trousers anyway.

JoAnn, thanks, you reminded me of the time when I went into a store buying fuel, had to queue to pay for some goods, and the assistant on the till called me "love", trying shoes on is an ambition yet to be fulfilled.

Mitch, thanks, I recently read your out in public account, and found that encouraging, you have been a very prolific poster since joining the forum, and I love your avatar, cute!

Sophie.
    Thanks for the compliment - I think that we have a similar 'look'. whereabouts in the uk are you by the way (roughly)?

mitch

From the other photos I've seen of you....your legs look great. You are much too modest! Don't hide them.

P.S. Not too fond of trousers personally, though I do guess they are necessary sometimes.

I think you look great! I believe the trick is to dress appropriately for the location you’re going to and you’ve got it just right, casual but classy. Go girl! Amanda x
    So far in the closet, I've got one foot in Narnia!

Never do anything that seemed a good idea at the time!

Today I am the youngest I'm ever going to be!

add me and message amanda.shaft@hotmail.co.uk

http://amandashaft.hi5.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie909 View Post
    From the other photos I've seen of you....your legs look great. You are much too modest! Don't hide them.

P.S. Not too fond of trousers personally, though I do guess they are necessary sometimes.
    Agreed, legs should be shown off.

However, in the UK at the mo it is slightly cool which sometimes makes a skirt uncomfortable
    (especially if not used to wearing one regularly).

Thank you for the follow up comments.

Mitch, roughly NW England.

As for skirts, I can only wear them at home, my calf muscles really do show when in heels, from behind, and I know if I saw them on a girl, I would think "something not quite right there".

I do think though that I could get away with boots and a skirt, but not during the summer months.

I have the same problem with my arms, although not big, they do look male from the elbow up.

Whenever I went out in skirts, I was always read, but also my posture and walk was no where near what it is now, perhaps I could get away with it now, but would take great courage, or perhaps I could post a video for yuo all to look at?

I used to think when I was out that if I walked "normally" no one would spot me, but "normally" for me then was the man walking, not Sophie.

My handbag, (purse) used to slide of my shoulders, and this was all down to posture, now it never slides off.

I also walk with my head quite high now, not looking towards the floor.

It took me many years to work that lot out.

Sophie.

PS thanks again for your lovely comments and PMs, they certainly help to give me the confidence to go out again, and I also hope that my experiences help others "give it a go" as I know some of us really do want to take the step out into the world beyond our doorstep.

Sophie,

Awesome look! You look natural and very pleasing - well done!
    Kim

or perhaps I could post a video for you all to look at?
    Yes, please do. Would love to see more videos of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Haworth View Post
    Thank you for the follow up comments.

Mitch, roughly NW England.

As for skirts, I can only wear them at home, my calf muscles really do show when in heels, from behind, and I know if I saw them on a girl, I would think "something not quite right there".

I do think though that I could get away with boots and a skirt, but not during the summer months.

I have the same problem with my arms, although not big, they do look male from the elbow up.

Whenever I went out in skirts, I was always read, but also my posture and walk was no where near what it is now, perhaps I could get away with it now, but would take great courage, or perhaps I could post a video for yuo all to look at?

I used to think when I was out that if I walked "normally" no one would spot me, but "normally" for me then was the man walking, not Sophie.

My handbag, (purse) used to slide of my shoulders, and this was all down to posture, now it never slides off.

I also walk with my head quite high now, not looking towards the floor.

It took me many years to work that lot out.

Sophie.

PS thanks again for your lovely comments and PMs, they certainly help to give me the confidence to go out again, and I also hope that my experiences help others "give it a go" as I know some of us really do want to take the step out into the world beyond our doorstep.
    Hi,

so quite a long way away then - if youre ever down this way then let know so that we can meet up. I think that from your posts you have given your look quite a bit of thought. You seem to have developed a girl's way of working with what you've got and making the best of it. If your arms and legs dont look quite right then cover them - its what trinny and susannah would say! I'm convinced that my arms don't look right so i cover them. I thought i had good legs but i dont think they are girlie legs, too skinny and muscular. Your hair looks very right both in colouring and shape - similar colour to your natural colour? Jewellery just right!

Love the cardie - pink looks great on you and tones in. I think cardies are in at the moment so i might pop down to the local designer charity shop and find one to match my sexy new bustier! Cant wait for my next outing on Monday. Will do some piccies!

Mitch