Thread: The Fa'afafines of Samoa

The Fa'afafines of Samoa

Hello all,

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Fa'afafines. For those of you who have not, they are a "third gender" that enjoys various degrees of acceptance in Samoa. The word means "in the manner of a woman". These are genetic males who are raised as females or allowed to indulge in feminine behavior and dress.

I'd like to start a discussion of the Fa'afafines, and their society. I find myself wondering a lot about them and their culture, and I have to wonder how a non-Samoan would be viewed if they presented as such.

Anyway, I find the topic fascinating and I'd really love to know what you ladies think about it.

I saw them on National Geographic Channel a couple of months ago. Kinda weired in a way that they would be raised as girls, and would want to stay that way. I 'm saying that it can't take in all cases could it ?

From what I gather, in the Samoan culture, an individual places the needs of the familial group above their own personal desires or wishes. So if a large family group decided they needed another female, and drafted a young boy to be Fa'afafine, he would accept the role the group imposed on him.

Personally I think nowadays most of them are chosen based on behaviors they exhibit, rather than a lack of housekeepers.

Probably many are inclined to crossdress, and chose it for themselves.