Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First thing you ever BOUGHT for yourself

First thing you ever BOUGHT for yourself

There is a thread going right now for the first thing you tried on... but that was too easy. I think the real hurdle for me was the first time I actually BOUGHT something. For myself. In person.

After a while, making do with things found in the attic or my sisters' rooms just wasn't good enough. There were certain items of clothing that I just HAD to have that were mine and only mine.

I don't know how long it took me to screw up my nerves, but I have very vivid memories of the day when I was about 14 that I finally got the nerve to enter a store WALK INTO THE WOMAN'S SECTION (something that took every ounce of resolve I had) and look for what I wanted.

A few minutes after I started browsing, a young associate (probably no older than 18 herself) approached me and asked if she could help. I made up some lame story on the spot about a girlfriend who was sick in bed (I think I actually said 'in the hospital') who needed a few things. I was probably sweating and pale as a ghost at this point from being so nervous, but she played along. Of course, this girl I was buying for was 'about my height' and 'about my build' but had failed to tell me any sizes when sending me on this shopping errand.

About 1,000 years later, by my estimation, I left the store with a pair of panties and a pink cotton nightgown. My first woman's clothes that I had bought myself, with my own money. I don't think it got much easier for several years after that, but finally the cold chills and shaking went away.

Now I can buy things pretty calmly while in 'drab' and there are some things I only let myself purchase if I shop for them enfemme. The only heart-stopping moment I've had for quite a while was when I was stocking up on pantyhose at a sale and, after I put the 8 pair or so on the cashier's counter, realized that she was somebody I knew (an old schoolmate).

So how nerve-wracking was your first shopping experience?
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

My first purchase was at Lerners as an adult. I bought a stretchy black miniskirt and 2 pairs of panties. I was nervous as hell but the SA just smiled and rang up the sale. That emboldened me further so it was off to Ross to buy a a pair of high heels on closeout. I didn't say anything and neither did the SA. The store was quite busy and I had gotten away with buying shoes! Ran home and tried them on with my new skirt and panties. What a thrill!

I can remember the first time very well, I was 11 years old, I caught a bus downtown to the Woolworth's store (a discount store). I had saved my allowance and had enough for a pair of panties...I was so scared, I walked up and down the aisles close to the lingerie for a very long time. I found a pair in my price range, got the large size in a green color which looking back was probably why they were on sale. I held them tight in my hands got to the check out ...I expected a severe look, but the clerk was nice, rang it in and I was on cloud 9 hop, skip and jumping all the way home.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar

shoes

The first thing I bought was on the internet: 6" black patent platforms.

The first thing live was in a Payless in Atlanta. I was trying on some 3.5 " brown mules (just wonderful!) and a SA asked if they were for me (I was trying them on, after all!). I just smiled and said I'd take them. My wife was in the store and she added her perchases and I paid for the lot. As I was paying my wife asked me why I only got one pair...such a cutie she is !!!

tina

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    My very first purchase for myself was a pair of blue Leggs Tights from a CVS store near where I went to college at the tender age of 18. I remember coming up with an excuse for why I would be buying womens tights. I think I tried saying that I played football and I was buying them for warmth.

I was so nervous and scared as I waited in line to buy them. Everything went fine except for I could hear the elderly ladies in line behind me making some kind of comment to each other as of to "is he buying pantyhose?" which did not do much for my confidence and did a lot to help with my denial of being a cross dresser at the time. Jocelyn

The first thing I ever bought was some panties and bras that I got through mail order.

The first thing I ever bought in person was some panties and stockings which I claimed was for my girlfriend. I got along fine with it and was honestly more concerned about someone I knew seeing my buying them then I was about the people in the store (i.e. there was no 'girlfriend', I was single at the time).

My first purchase was at age 18, summer of 1969 between high school and my very brief college career. Bought some makeup and pantyhose in a department store that we used to have here called E.J. Korvette, now long out of business. Nervous to the extreme, but I did it.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

My SO and I usually shop together. She picks out things for her, and I pick out things for me and then we both go to the checkout.
    Well one day last month, at Walmart, we got separated in the ladies section. I walked around with a nightie and a dress over my arm looking for her because she had the cart. Well I decided after a while just to go through the checkout and see if she was outside. Yup... She was there waiting for me to come out.
    I was more concerned with where she was than what I was buying. No one asked me why I was buying women's clothes or made any other comment. I shop there a lot, so they've seen me almost every week.
    Next time it's back to Cato to see if they're more accommodating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]First thing I bought my self was a black with pink ribbon teddy. It had garter straps and fishnet stockings and black lace thong panties. I had gone down to phx. to care for my wife, my girlfriend at the time, who had gotten quite sick. She suggested I go out and buy myself something special, and take a break. I still have the Teddy, it survived a few purges, the panties and the fishnets, sadly are long gone.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Just A Girl Next Door
    My first thing was a denim mini from the thrift store. It didn't fit very well - they had a dressing room but I was too scared to try anything on! I just chalked that up to tuition at the school of experience. Gradually, it got a little easier with each time and I started getting stuff that fit!

I was 14 years old, Just got found out by mom, Sent to a shrink. And the shrink, thought I should have my own outfit. I bought a blue gingham Square Dance Dress, with a huge petticoat, And 4" White patent pumps, with all the under things to go with my first outfit. Square dance dresses, Where a huge fetish of mine, when I was in my teens. Today this day, I still love dressing up, in little girl dresses.

XOXO Tiffany

The first thing I bought for myself was a pair of panties at a novelty store in the tourist community of Depoe Bay Oregon. I was terrified as I walked to the cashier to pay for them I knew that every eye in the store was on me. I paid for the panties and left the store somewhat surprised that the Transvestite Police weren't outside waiting for me.

After the terror of my first purchase when I tried them on they didn't fit. Doh! ! !

It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I was about 14 or 15 when I bought pantyhose for the first time. I had been dressing for several years and was afraid my sister was noticing that i was taking her pantyhose. I bought them in a convenience store and fortunately the candy isle was right next to the them. I spent a lot of time looking at candy before grabbing a pair and paying for them. I made up some excuse about my mom needed them and was thrilled when I finally got home to put them on.

First purchase in person

I was in Victoria's Secret looking at bras. I had selected two bras that I was interested in, and when the saleslady asked if she could help, I couldn't believe it, but I actually heard myself ask for a changing room to try them on and compare the fit. I chose the cotton racerback for concealment, and bought it.

That experience was the best thing that has ever happened to me regarding my CDing. That was right before the internet boom, so I hadn't yet found forums such as this one. In other words, I had no idea that I had so much company.

There were other items before then, but I never had admitted that they were for me.

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar

The "Five and Dime"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Y View Post
    I can remember the first time very well, I was 11 years old, I caught a bus downtown to the Woolworth's store (a discount store).
    Jenni,

H'mmm - commonality!

First to digress: I surely do remember Woolworth's! (How many on here recall the "Five and Dime" stores?) Then Savannah and Atlanta both got K-Mart and the "Dime Stores" were on the way out.

Anyway, to answer the thread's question, I too, was about 10-11 years old, and I also caught a bus for this first outing to shop for myself. I first went to the "Savaings & Loan" where I had a small account (from cutting lawns, etc. -- dad kept the passbook, but I knew where it was, and it was money I had earned). Anyway, I made a small withdrawal and went to the Red Goose shoe store. Bought a pair of tights and a leotard! Nerves were shot the entire time, but it was no problem. A few months later, took the bus downtown to Sears and bought a pair of panties and a bra. The SA was this old crumudgeon who surely gave me dirty looks!

((( "Woolworth's" -- "Dime Stores" -- "Five & Dime stores" -- Savings & Loan Banks -- guess some of us surely know how to give strong hints regarding our age . . . )))

a red and black polka dotted mesh thong with a little black bow

Don't forget S.S. Kresge the forerunner of K-Mart. Now who's showing their age??
    Hugs, Andi

The first time I went shopping years ago, I bought what I considered to be the "basics". Bra, pantyhose, panties, nightie, wig, makeup.

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiGirl View Post
    Don't forget S.S. Kresge the forerunner of K-Mart. Now who's showing their age??
    Remember that, too! There was one near my aunt's store -- and she'd take me to their soda fountain as a child for a malt and a BLT!

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    I bought my wig. A reddish-brown flip. About 10 years ago. I went to a wig store, talked to the ladies, and sampled a number of wigs trying to find the right color and style.

There I was in my Guy Clothes, sitting in a wig shop with two female SA's fawning over me as they tried wigs on me. I was nervous at first, then decided that I was gonna go through with it, and then I really connected with the SA's and it became fun!

I didn't have the guts to try a blonde wig, back then. So I bought the next best thing...

I wore the wig up until last month.

Now that I have a blonde wig, I'm not sure when I'll ever wear the old girl again!

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

I remember my first item too. It was a dark blue tennis skirt with pleats,
    actually it was rather to small to fit properly. I had just turned 18 and had my first car. The car made things alot easier.

Doreen

The first thing I ever bought was a pair of pantyhose. I wrote out a few items on a paper and acted as though I was buying them for my mother. The checkout girl smiled at me as if she saw right through that crap and knew.

The first item I bought was a yellow 34B bra from the JC Penny catalogue. The first thing I bought in person was a garter belt, panties and stockings! Been buying ever since.
    Rachel Denise

[SIZE="2"]“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked. His response was a question: “Where do you want to go?’ ‘I don’t know,’ answered Alice. ‘Then,’ said the cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.' "
    - Lewis Carroll
    [/SIZE]

100% spoiled brat christina marie's Avatar
    17 years old, marched my little behind into Fredricks, picked out a cute pink bra,SA asked if i would like the matching thong... well duh! almost 20 years ago. woke up in them this morning!
    "you can have this nail file when you pry it from my cold ,dead hands."

I never made any pretenses as to why I was buying girlie items. It still wasn't easy until several year ago, when I was all but tared and feathered by three young sa's. With and emphasis on the "A (a--)".
    I hope they are reading this because they only emboldened me to buy what I want and not worry about what someone might think.