Thread: Genetics for Crossdressers

Banned Read only

Genetics for Crossdressers

To the general public, genetics means "My dad had blue eyes, so I have blue eyes, right?" To a geneticist, such statements are expected, with frustration. Getting straight to the point, the question arises on this forum "Is crossdressing a genetic thing?" The question is reasonable and clear. Unfortunately, the ultimate answer is likely to be anything but so simple.

Genetics is the study of heredity, or the resemblance between parents and offspring. Some things are obvious - two Chinese parents don't have children that look like Africans. Others may be more subtle. Tall parents may tend to have tall children, but you need to look at a lot of tall parents and their children to prove the general statement. And in fact, a tall man and woman may produce shorter than average children. So heredity is sometimes direct, and sometimes it's subtle. In both cases, the genetic mechanisms can often be traced down and explained in detail, but for the casual observer, the sometimes/kinda nature of heredity can be confusing to say the least.

A constant stream of articles in the media announce a new "cancer gene" or "obesity gene". So there's an idea out there that diseases are "genetic" in some way. If you actually delve into the research, things get murky. A "major" breast cancer gene may account for 5% of breast cancer cases. Hmmm.... should we be impressed? The researchers are certainly proud of themselves! If you ask them, they would say something like this:

1. There are many independent causes of breast cancer.
    2. Some of the causes are due to your genetic background.
    3. Some are due to environmental causes.
    4. Some are due to interactions among genetic causes.
    5. Some are due to interaction among genetic and environmental causes.
    6. Some are neither genetic nor environmental, but due to developmental failures.

Pretty messy, no? That's the way genetics works. No geneticist expects a one-to-one relationship between DNA and outcomes. The classic examples that biology students learn are "get the red gene, get the red flower color", but those are exceptions that were discovered precisely because they are so simple. Human eye color is often described in such a simple manner - blue pigment is a recessive allele, brown is dominant - but in fact eye color is much more complicated that that. The rule holds, except when it doesn't.

A critical subject in the study of heredity is the notorious "nature-nurture" thing. This subject has been beaten to death so often that I won't get into it other than to give a very general example.

The question is: are you the way you are because you inherited the trait from your parents, or did the environment you grew up in shape you somehow? A classic example to look at is the disease phenylketonuria. People who suffer from this disease cannot break down the substance phenylalanine, which is common in many foods. The result is mental retardation and seizures. This inability to process phenylalanine is genetic - inherited from your parents. But....(big but ) you only suffer the consequences if you eat food containing phenyalalinine. Since we know what those foods are, a careful diet can prevent the symptoms of phenylketonuria entirely. So the take-home message is that while the disease is gentically based, it requires an environmental factor to actually cause the damage.

Both cancer and phenylketoruria are examples of genetically based diseases. They both also show the subtle ways that genetics can "cause" effects. When we think about crossdressing - I finally got around to it - we need to allow for such subtle effects. It is entirely possible that genetics could be the "cause" of one twin crossdressing, while his brother has no interest in things lacy. It is equally possible that a genetic predisposition could require some environmental stimulus to be set off - like Mom dressing young Johnny in girlie clothes. Many things that were once assumed to be the result of upbringing are now know to be at least partially due to inheritance.

Over the years, the nature/nurture debate has been an ugly one, with boneheads on each side making laughably foolish claims, many based on little more than social prejudice. It's always best to start sceptical, and look carefully at the evidence. An educated guess might be that crossdressing is a mult-causal phenomena - I think someone said that already above - and that the explanation that fits your situation may not fit mine. And none of the explanations will suggest or require a "cure". My brown eyes - and Moms' - don't need to be cured, but I do like having some idea why my brother's eyes were blue - like Dad's. Knowledge is never harmful - it's what you do with it that causes the problems.

Short Skirts & Long Legs
    Interesting information, most of which is backed by material that can be documented by case study, which is all well and good...BUT, can or will this information ever be used to help us come to an "educated" decision as to why we do what we do...

NAW, not going to happen...all we can do is try to digest all the information we wish to consume, then use it to our best benefit...

And even if we knew this it would matter....... Not to me.. For one thing knowing why we crossdress is of no use.. Since it wouldn't change a thing.. You'd still love to crossdress... So all the time and money spent persuing something that has no effect, no sharholder value, is not worth persuing, in my opinion..

Rather save my money and go buy a nice new dress... Or promote world peace!! Hehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    Funny how people will care enough to repeatedly take the effort to type out the lines "I don't care".

Thanks Eva. All of this information could rival the archives of Atlantis (not that it does, mind you)and like you say, the debate is eternal. The bottom line though is that we are who we are and we like what we do. Like you also say, it's what we do with the information that causes any problems or not but for myself (and most of us) it rarely does. It's like driving. I know what I'm doing but have to watch out for the other guy.

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandra View Post
    The bottom line though is that we are who we are and we like what we do. Like you also say, it's what we do with the information that causes any problems or not but for myself (and most of us) it rarely does.
    AND, regardless of any causation, remember that current medical and psychiological responses to CDing is NOT aimed at a cure. (Hip-Hip-Hurray!!!)Sure, there ar some professionals who are not up to date on this, but the current literature strongly promotes an a pproach that is supportive and that helps with adaptation (when the latter is necessary).

This is a very interesting posting. Science tell us that all of us grow up under the "nature-nurture" thing. Case in point. Scientist will say if you make a 100% clone of Hitler, the new Hitler will not grow up to be the old Hitler. He may well grow up being a normal person and not even interested in politics and such. He would not be like his evil clone, since the circumtance in which he grows up is not the same and neither is the world, or is the politics the same. Nothing is the same, so neither would he be the same. "Nature-nurture" continues to work even as we grow older. I remember back when I was younger my parents would have disown my sisters or me, if any of us brought home a BF/GF of a different race. (1950's). I remember my mother only last year (2006) before she passed away, holding her great great grandaughter who is part white and part black and telling her mother and father how pretty the girl child was.

[SIZE="3"]To me it does not matter. It's not that I don't care, it's just that it does not matter, not to me anyway. I am glad that you posted this information because I know that there are those to who this info is something that is meaningful and helpful to them. So..........KUDOS to you Eva!![/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]"Tell me why I can't where a mini 'kilt' to work?"[/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Why thank you Dixie.

As it happens, I suffer from a minor medical condition of disputed origin - the nature/nurture thing. I also have a little education in genetics - you might have guessed. During the time I was taking genetics classes, I never bothered to look up the research literature on the subject. I did pick up mentions in the media that research had suggested a genetic origin, and I think that it is highly likely that genetics is involved. At the same time, no one in my family has the same condition. And knowing one way or the other wouldn't change anything.

That being said, my understanding of genetics - and that vast nature/nurture literature - keeps me from making elementary mistakes about my condition. I don't know what is wrong, but I don't get sucked in by what isn't wrong with me. And some times that's as important as ultimate answers. In the same way, I don't know the causes of crossdressing, but I'm satisfied that I'm in the ballpark. That's plenty good enough for me.