Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should guys know?

Should guys know?

The other day two of my nieces offered to help out with some chores I was doing and it was going to be grubby work. One of them was wearing a clean pair of capris and I suggested she should 'change her capris' because I didn't want her to get her clean clothes messed up.

It occurred to me that maybe guys shouldn't know the precise names of femme clothing items and I should have just said 'slacks or even pants'. There are probably a number of other femme items that that have precise names that we shouldn't 'know'.

Is our knowledge of femme clothing a give away?

Knowledge is nothing wrong and nothing to be ashemd of.
    When we start there ... oh gosh

Of course it is a give away. Every subject we deal with more deaply has this give away of knowledge.

If there is a problem with knowledge, it is how it is used.
    Last edited by Marla S; 06-06-2007 at 08:51 AM.

It could at least get them wondering!

I was at work and showed a GG an outfit and called it that.

I said: This would be a great outfit for you! She said "Now your scarring me, you called it an outfit" Mentally trying to recover I said: Isn't that what you call it? Best innocent look here on me! Searching, questioning look on GG!

Hasty retreat in order, Uhm.. I think I hear my boss calling me!

Dana

Silver Member
    Oh Deana, a give away for what? That you know about women's clothes? Anyone who has been married or lived with women for any length of time knows SOMETHING about women's clothes or else they are a real dope!

That you are gay? Well, are you? So what?

That you like women's clothes? Well if you do, you need to own up to it. That's no crime.

That knowing that cutoff women's pants are sometimes called capris makes you somehow "less of a man"? Get real, dear. There is nothing about knowledge of ANY kind that makes one unmanly. Do we HAVE to be stupid, beer slobering, farting, idiots to qualify as "men" in your book? This image may apeal to some, but not anyone I would want to be associated with.

Steph

Banned Read only
    maybe she thought that it was the ugliest combination possible and asked " you call that an outfit?"

Should guys know?

Well YES they may think that something is going on here but if a guy is interested in woman he should know a little about what they wear. Its part of showing interest in them. At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

sharon
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia ."
    ~Charles Schultz~

One of the ladies came in to work one day a while back and I remarked: "Nice twin set". She looked at me and said:"Oh, the man knows his fashion" and smiled. Nothing else happened except for the fact that she was beaming most of the day that someone had noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by rose382832 View Post
    maybe she thought that it was the ugliest combination possible and asked " you call that an outfit?"
    lol

I am only fashion challenged when in guy mode, when I am Dana, I seem to get my color vision back! Yes, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Dana

When I was in my teens, I used to worry that I'd give myself away by my knowledge about women's clothing. As I aged, I came to realize that it didn't matter.
    Now if a couple of women were talking about bra's and you piped in with how to measure yourself for one... That might be different, unless you were a designer or retailer of women's clothing.
    I don't worry about what I might give away about myself any more. What's the point? I expect that everyone that knows me will know about Sandy eventually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My wife seems to get nervous when I mention some other lady's kitten heels. Or if I comment on why a pencil skirt suits her better than an a-line. Of course, is it not because I watch "What Not To Wear" Love Carmindy's makeup advice

Kassandra

I have caught myself being too over the top on being specific as to my comments on their outfits. I need to be careful because once after I was complemented on my weight loss and almost said thank you, I dropped two dress sizes.

I think so
    Angie

I used to feel the same way when I was a teenager, that it would make me even more transparent as a crossdresser. Letting slip a word like "outfit", "pumps", "clamdiggers" (which are what we used to call "capris", basically) or some combination of words that let it be known I knew exactly what a girl was wearing used to make me nervous and blush, kind of throwing me under the bus that I knew a little TOO much about girls fashion. At least I had an outlet with a couple of GG friends who knew all about my crossdressing when I was in high school -- to the point where they pretty much expected me to act like "one of the girls" when I was hanging around or out and about with them as Karen (mall stores are a very different world when you're a girl out with the girls). I could even feel comfortable discussing dress sizes with them... then again, I also was raised by my mother, so some kids who knew me better could have assumed that was why...

Anyway, over the years I had the occasional classmate (high school/college) who did not know anything about my dressing, but to whom I commented on an outfit they were wearing and immediately I would have a buddy for the semester -- it seems a guy who knows fashion must be a more sensitive or "enlightened" sort, especially 15-20 years ago, lol... I can remember girls back in high school describing their prom dresses to me... unfortunately, even though I had a prom dress of my own, I couldn't describe mine without some serious strange looks, lol...

It happens less frequently now that I'm out in the workforce at an office, but maybe because I'm more on guard about letting slip my intimate knowlege of feminine apparel. Then again, I also have been married for more than 10 years now, so it could be assumed that living with the same woman for that long, I would pick up a few things.

Or maybe I just don't like the fashions of the last several years... lol...
    Last edited by KarenNY; 06-06-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    "Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes..."

I knew a fair bit about women's clothes before I started to accept this part of me. Most of what I know comes from before I labelled myself a crossdresser. So I would say no, it's not a give away. Sometimes it's just the result of having a lot of female friends.
    "Why are you wearing those stupid girls' clothes?"
    "Why are you wearing those stupid mens' clothes?"
    --Adapted from Donnie Darko

As I have mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with having the best knowledge about something one is interested in. It actually adds credibility to those who do. Even though we are "guys" this doesn't mean we are ignorant - I mean "naive", about terms. That is all that was said in the previous posts - "capris, outfits," etc.

A nice return to the comment of "you called it an outfit!" would have been to maybe say "well, that's what it's called isn't it?" and then be just matter of fact about it. Any other kind of justification for calling an apple, an apple, is what will raise suspicion.

A
    [SIZE=4]~ASHLEIGH~[/SIZE]
    Finis Origine Pendet (The end depends upon the beginning)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana921 View Post
    lol

I am only fashion challenged when in guy mode, when I am Dana, I seem to get my color vision back! Yes, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Dana

Now that you say that, I can kinda see it. Nathan/Natasha seems to have the same outcome. As Nathan he needs a little fashion advice and as Natasha he has the best fashion sense in the world. I will be the first to admit that not all women have a great fashion sense, I am one of them.

Take care,
    AJ
    Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absent-minded. Someone sober will worry about events going badly. Let the lover be.
    ~Rumi~

You always admire what you really don't understand.
    ~Blaise Pascal~

How to amaze the GGs in your life

Hi Everyone: I once stunned my GG SO by being able to unfastenher bra in one deft move 9 times out of 10. Also one day I was preparing to unfasten her bra by having my hand under her blouse and I told her I could tell the color by how it felt. She didn't believe me of course, and challenged me.

I knew she only wore black or nude bras so I figured I had a 50/50 chance if I guessed. I was sure it was black and that the black was more slippery fabric than the beige. Either I was lucky or right as I guessed right. She was impressed of course. I bought bras and panties for her 2 times a yr, on her birthday in June and for Christmas so I knew both her size and preferences. Pity she didn't understand my desire to wear bras and panties was perfectly normal behavior for many men.

I still have no idea what is what in the female clothing world, really. For me, there are skirts, shirts, pants, and shoes. Also hosiery. I do, in fact, feign ignorance when it comes to makeup and the like, as I really would prefer no one discover my secret. On the other hand, I think women are impressed when a guy knows stuff about female grooming and fashion, just in moderation I suspect.

More importantly, I do not criticize women when they selectively shop for hours or days for shoes, clothing, and makeup. I appreciate the work and the attention they go through, whilst before I would make fun of these rituals...

Quote Originally Posted by marie354 View Post
    Now if a couple of women were talking about bra's and you piped in with how to measure yourself for one... That might be different, unless you were a designer or retailer of women's clothing.
    If Homer Simpson was a CD: "Oh yeah, don't you just hate the way underwires pinch...DOH!"

Barbara
    If I know I don't wory about it. I'm married and my wife corrects me when I use the wrong term. Nothing to out me there. But it is fun some times...
    Barbara

Let it Blossom - Let it grow

And why shouldn't we know some of the things we know about clothing, etc.? Afterall, we are constantly bombarded on television and newspapers and magazines with the latest fashions. And if all we are doing is checking out the women in those ads and tv spots, we are allowed to pick up some knowledge of clothing and fashion.
    Besides, any of us who is married or in a long-time relationship had better know something if we want to survive in that marriage or relationship.
    So, in conclusion, having knowledge of fashions or the names of some clothing items should not out us unless we allow it to.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

It is what it is... why play dumb? I would rather look well read then like an idiot. I comment sometimes when women are trying things on about the line being wrong for them ...most times they say thank you.

Banned Read only
    If you have daughters then you should know what they are. If not why play dumb? Just inform her you are well educated.

Any red blooded american male who grew up looking at Laura Petri (Mary Tyler Moore on the Dick Van Dyke Show) knows what capris are and how good they can look on the right girl!
    Sally

the answer is no

if we have girl freinds or wife then we will get the clothing items name from them so knowlage is good
    so think nothing of it