Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Paying To Learn Worth It?

Is Paying To Learn Worth It?

There is a place in Columbus, Ohio (about an hour and a half drive for me) that is a crossdresser academy. You can pay them for different services like a photo shoot, night out on the town, store things, and crossdressing lessons like makeup, wig care, etc. Anyhow, I really want to learn how to put make up on without looking like bozo the clown. The eyes are the most bothersome for me to get. Eye pencils and such aren't just my thing to learn on my own. Anyhow, they charge something like $75 to show you how to do it and then let you do it once on your own. I wish I had the funds, because I would do it since I am on vacation after next week. Has anyone paid anyone for stuff like this? Is it more of a waste and should I just keep trying? There has to be some kind of site that has videos on how to apply different types of makeup. Thanks for any advice I receive.
    Man! I feel like a woman!

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    First, I understand some places like you describe are very reputable. I don't know about the one in Columbus -- I've seen an ad for it, but have no personal experience with it.

Second, learning to do some things just plainly takes practice, practice, practice, and then more practice (once you've been taught the fundamentals). Most GG's have us on this b/c they have been "playing" with makeup since they were quite young, while, for the most part, the most many of us ever could get away with was swiping big sis's liptick.

Third, and this is JMHO, learn to do your eyes -- they are the windows to your inner being. When my wife and I did our wedding out in Las Vegas with me as the bride, the professional makeup artist that did my makeup spent two hours with me -- and over an hour of that was working on my eyes. My wife -- who is great at doing makeup -- was in awe at how this professional transformation turned out!!! She just couldn't get over the emphasis on my eyes -- and how they turned out and worked in to the total package!!!

Fourth, if you are up for it, go to a MAC cosmetics counter in Columbus (might be one at Easton) and make an appointment to have your makeup done. Pay close attention -- ask questions -- and buy some of their product b/c it is great!!! MAC is very TG/CD/TV/TS friendly!!!

Silver Member
    You know, dear, it's very hard to tell you if this would be worth it. It just might be, but it's more likely to be a bit expensive for what you will get. These places generally will give you a makeover in a glamor mode, take some FABULOUS pictures of you, and try to sell you something. It is very difficult to learn makeup from one lesson. It takes, as mentioned above, much practice. This you will not get in one lesson, no matter how carefully you pay attention. Again, as mentioned above, you can get this for free at a makeup store. MAC is a good one. When I was just starting out, I had a long session with my local Mary Kay representative. She taught me a lot in a short time. I responded by buying her products, which I still use. Avon will come to your house if you ask. You can get this information at almost any cosmetics counter in any large department store. Just remember to buy something in return for the free information and help.

Lovies,
    Stephenie

Well,
    Some of the best FREE advice is right here on this site. You can go to a store like Macy's or Dillard's and they will give you a free makeover. Also there is some support groups in Ohio you can join and the members will help.
    Hugs,
    Tamera
    Please read this regarding personal information http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_personal_information

[SIZE="2"]"GENDER" is not whats between the "THIGHS", but whats between the "EARS".....[/SIZE]

Start with www.photojug.com Then practice, practice, practice.

No names here, but I was defraded by one so called CD school who sold on Ebay. They offered an I item I won the bid on, but dlivered something differant. PM me if you want to know who.
    BTW I don't buy on Ebay any longer. That was the second rip off and they would do nothing.

Paying for help may be worth it if you have the funds

If funds are tight or you dont think it is value for money

I know you will find lots of tips in the beauty club section of this forum

Also you will find some which have step by step video links too
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

It depends on how much you expect to get out of it, I guess.

I will tel you that that is how I went out my first time. It helped me immensly in being able to see what could be done with my features. As the girls have said though, check out MAC and see what they can do for you. They will be glad to do just your eyes, especially if you are interested in buying some product. It is true that practice, practice, practice is the mantra for getting makeup really well done. But IMHO have the assistance of a professional will really enhance and speed up whatever skills you are trying to gain.

The makeover for TGs may or may not be what you want. If you're trying for a true female going out to the store look than MAC might be better. That being said, a TG place may have a slightly better handle on using beard cover and other tricks to transform a male face into a female one.

Good luck either way and enjoy you vacation. (try to spend more than 24 hours en femme, it's always been a blast for me!)
    Sally

I have engaged professionals for help with make-up a number of times and my ladies are wonderful. Always helpful, learning new techniques, etc. To me it's money well spent. But, the more I practice doing my nails, my eyes, lipstick, the better I get. Practice is the key.

Do you see a pattern being developed here? 'Tis true... practice is the key. If you are looking for "How To" tips, the Beauty Section here on this forum is just full of them... check it out. Professional makeovers are a wonderful way to pamper yourself, and you will most certainly pick up a tip or two, but is no substitute for a practiced hand at the end of your own arm.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Silver Member
    it depends---some of those places offer quality services and will make a difference---others are pure rip offs----My advice is to find out if the person running it is a licensed cosmotologist and do they have experience in doing wigs as well as real hair and makeup---if they say no then stay away if they say yes ask to see thier license when ;you get there
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Well I've actually looked into the Crossdressers Academy in Columbus, for a mini-makeover and maybe some photos but they were booked well ahead plus I love doing my makeup so much.. Lol. But always wondered what a pro would do differently..

And as everyone said practice practice practice but you need to be doing I correctly.. I'd checkout a few local malls and I know Columbus is crawling with them!!

I have shopped enfemme at the mall over by the airport... But look for either a cosmetic counter at a large department store or Sephora or Ulta cosmetic stores and just ask them to show you how.. Might cost you a few dollars to buy some of their brand cosmetics but they know their stuff and could care less if your a guy... A sale is a sale..

Otherwise search youtube for some makeup videos.. And the book store is always full of good beauty and makeup books.... Though I took it off Photobucket I'd did have a transformation video I made and I can always stick it back out there... PM me.....

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Yes, I see the trend here is practice, practice, practice. When some of you went out to MAC and such, was it fem? That is the big block in the middle of the road. Me dressed going anywhere in daylight doesn't go hand in hand. It's more or likely outlawed. I wouldn't mind paying $30 or so to go to a store or such and come home with the products that someone had used to show me. Weather it be on them. Well, I guess it would have to be on them. One reply to my post was have an Avon rep or Mary Kay rep come to my home. The trouble with that would be that everyone that sells that here in my town knows my family. Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Sports Luvin Girly cutiepiedanielle's Avatar
    i say it all depends what ur comfortable with

I think the ebay seller is crossdressergoodies I have done business with them and they are FANTABULOUS. I would recommend them to any gurl.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Aspiring Member
    I don't recommend paying for it. It's something you just learn over time and mostly is just practice. Try mascara and only mascara. It won't be long until you've mastered it and find what works for you.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

I will say that early on I bought two books by two very famous crossdressers telling "how to" do it. I took what I read under advisement but in the end, did my own thing and came up with my own style anyway. That's the way I am though and you will find your own style also in time, my friend.

I have had a makeup lesson by a woman who markets to the transgendered.
    A dressing service was available, but I was only interested in makeup at the time.

I didn't learn anything. In fact I would say that it better to practise. For example, I have learned on my own that it is best to blend blush into foundation to avoid the clown effect.

Is a makeover worth it? If you are rich enough, then you should pamper yourself now and then - maybe for a special occasion. Many gg's will get a beautician to give them a hair and makeup session on their wedding day.
    Why not save up all year and treat yourself for your birthday.

The only way of knowing is to go yourself. Everyones experience will be different. And it depends on how good the person giving advice is.

Practise is important, but also look at gg's and see what color techniques they use.

It depends on how you want to spend your money. Early on when I wanted to begin going out, I looked into several tranny venues, ie makeup, clothing, deportment. All were very pricey, and the overall quality was suspect. This was especially true on clothing stores that cater to cd's.

I got my initial makeover at a Merle Norman boutique. It was money well spent. The actual makeover was free, but one was expected to buy something. The women doing the makeover was great. She color matched me on foundation, blush, shadow, etc. She showed me how to do each step. The most important thing that she said was "Now it is time for you to practice". What she meant was that I was to apply and reapply my makeup hundreds of times.

I got my first wig at a wig salon. The women fitted it and styled it. She also gave me lessons on proper wig care and styling. I did not over pay for this service.

As was said in a prior post, a women's eyes are very important. So it is important to learn to do them well. A women's hair is also very important. So, a good wig fitting and styling is very important.

If a girl goes to a tranny outlet to buy her clothes, she will look like a tranny, plus she will pay double what she will pay in a regular store for normal, fashionable clothes.

I go by the adage that I will not pay for what I can do myself.

Jodi

Smile

First, not to sound like a broken record..practice makes perfect. I have been to a CD studio and had a "professional" makeover, and I have also gone to a private make-up session with a couple other CD's in a private home catered by a professional make-up artist. I have also purchased a couple books.

The books were first, and I practised...then the makeover at the CD boutique, I didn't find a huge difference in the make-up and the rest of the make-over wasn't worth the $200.00 price tag, but going out with a couple of gurls from the boutique afterward was fabulous.

The private session seemed to be legit, and for the $40.00 price tag I was willing to give it a go. It was a small class with three other gurls, and we ended up having TWO instructors. They knew what they were talking about, did our colours, recommended shades and application tips...even a take home sketch with hints and the colours and techniques we used. I was much happier with this and learned you don't really have to cake it on to cover, just use the right concealer.

just my experience, I would reccomend the private session but try to get as much info as you can and again practice practice practice

jenn

In my opinion it IS worth it, at least once. These people make a living trying to make us look good. They are bound to know a few things that you want to know.

HI Everyone: Kimberly, U look fabulous by the way. It's just the high cost of education. I have not done it, but would love to go go to a makeup class (3 or 4) spend $50 each and really have a good go at it. It sounds marvelous to me.

I would have to say no because it must be more rewarding to find out how to do it yourself

Thanks - and your comment makes my point

Quote Originally Posted by tammie View Post
    . . .Kimberly, U look fabulous by the way. . .
    Thank you Tammie! :-)
    I think you just made my earlier point on this thread. I say it IS worth it to pay for it at least once so that you can learn from those with experience. In my case, the avatar you see is my new look resulting from a pro makeover. In my opinion, my new "look", and the confidence that goes with it, is the direct result of having that makeover. I can't do quite as good as the pro did, but I learned enough to get close enough to please me.
    So I say go for the make over, but make sure you set the ground rules in advance. Tell them that more than just a makeover, you want them to show you what they are doing and how they are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri 4242 View Post
    learn to do your eyes -- they are the windows to your inner being.
    That is what I really want to learn how to do flawlessly, but pencils and eyeliner is what is giving me a hard time. I don't know how to start and what to do. I quoted what Sherri 4242 said because I agree. Back in my teen days (and even still to this day), the first thing I notice is a gg's eyes. Nothing else really mattered or matters. I to want to be able to have makeup done to the point where my eyes say it all, and hopefully, if I ever do go out into the real world, comments about my eyes would take preference over weather or not I am passing. That is why I am pondering weather I should pay and be shown how to do the makeup.