Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatars

Just why should a man wish to place on public view a photograph of himself crossdressed? I ask myself this question from time to time - as no doubt do other crossdressers - and I am not entirely satisfied with the answers that I come up with. As one for whom crossdressing is a very private activity (but no longer quite so private since I have joined this forum) I for one reason or another harbour a longing to launch my own avatar, but am held back by the prospect of recognition and the maelstrom of misunderstandings likely to follow. How do others feel about this? Is this a move that some crossdressers have lived to regret, or is it something that has proved to offer a level of satisfaction that is in itself more than sufficient compensation for the risk involved? And wherein lies the satisfaction? We are clearly a very diverse group so I expect that this will be reflected in any responses.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Sapphire

An avatar is like nothing.. You should see my 1,000s of photos and videos!! Come on!! Personally I'm proud of the way I look enfemme!! And since posting my photo as well as going out in public as a woman doesn't matter to me I don't know why it should to you? Hehe.

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]So far it hasn't backfired on me. For me placing my own picture out there is a way of freeing myself from my own fear. It has allowed me to get the nerve to venture out of my closet. If I had never posted my pic I probably wouldn't have gone out in public dressed for a long time if ever. Posting my pic for the first time was scary but it was the right thing to do at the right time. [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

It's a way to show all the other girls here what you look like. When I first joined, I did not show a avatar. Mainly becuase I did not have a wig. When I got my wig, I decided to put up my avatar and now everyone here knows what I look like. It is also a way to show off different outfits too. LOL

When I first joined the site, I was hesitant to put up a picture, but since nobody really knows what I look like, in male mode, they don't know who I really am except that I'm Joann.

I recently told a male friend about my CDing and, before I told him, I showed him a picture of myself. He was so surprised and couldn't believe it was me in the picture.
    So, I have no issues because I'm pretty sure nobody will recognize me.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Many avatars do not show the real person, or only a very limited view of them. For others it is not a big deal. Since I've joined this group I have made a great effort to show who I am and be known to others like me. People I feel I can truly trust. Plus we have excellent moderators that weed out the negative things quickly. I feel confident of who I am and what I look like when dressed and want to share. I enjoy the images posted by others and get many good ideas and usefull advise. Thus I want others to share how they feel about my look. It all boils down to individual confidence in who and what you are. So, feel free to post your picture or not. No one will think less of you.

As I have stated before, I post my avatar pics mainly for self critiquing, seeing how others see me. I will admit that it's also partly due to my creativity that I have so many looks but it's just something I plain enjoy doing. Still, when I look at them online, I ask myself what I could have done differently to achieve a different look. It also shows what a person can do with less and you really don't have to spend a lot of time and money to get a decent look. A lot of the wigs that I use are the same ones, just styled differently. I'm not worried about being recognized as my real self looks absolutely nothing like the feminine illusion presented. Only a few select friends here have seen the real me.

The creation of a photographic avatar is pretty much a rite of passage among members. Most of us, on first discovery of the forum, are still shy and, perhaps, a bit ashamed or frightened of being outed, but as we settle into a comfort zone here, many of us realize that a tiny photo of us in make-up is unlikely to result in being outed. It's a small world, and I suppose anything is possible, but, reality being reality, we are fairly secure in our confidence.

Besides, I just think it's easier to remember who's who by a photograph, rather than another type of avatar. When a member who uses a photograph posts, it is their photo that initially registers in my mind, not their name.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Once a Girl,always a Girl Dita_B's Avatar
    New Westminster, a city within the city of Vancouver, BC, Canada

I think that the chances for recognition as a result of posting an avatar are next to nil. We all chose feminine names that nobody else outside of our community knows. In femme mode we are not recognizable for anyone, I think I can walk past my own friends and relatives in the Mall without being recognized. So IMHO not posting an avatar out fear of recognition is a non issue.

I think it is safe to say that most of us are proud to show the product of our efforts to emulate the best possible female image. Yes, when speaking for myself, instead of being fearful, I am proud of the result and I am still working hard to improve my image. When I can post a better picture I will do so immediately.

Being able to view avatars of other CD's in this community gives us a chance to relate better to that other person, because it shows how they like to express themselves. Which tells a lot about that person's drive and goals. And don't forget, we are a community of like minded people who share the same interest. An interest that is in general kept very secret for the outer world. However here we are among our own family and friends who know us as our female personalities. That creates a strong bond...

So I think, by asking this question, you may have missed the point of posting an avatar all together.

Dita.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    My first published photo was of the back of my head. Iwas just not into the headless variety of that age.
    Then I rather liked the pic of a 'cellist's back, complete with hair strings and I still revert to that. Sort of me it is.
    What is there now is another me, not necessarily the public one, just the forum one....... for the forum and others looking in.... for the time being.
    ~Samm

I have to agree with Karren (owwwwwww that hurt) Toyah looks nothing like my guy self and I am kinda proud of what I can do

It's sort of like talking with someone over the telephone for years and always wondering what they look like. Then finally one day you meet that person. That's what an avatar does. It's like you finally meeting that person.
    And, hopefully, my male friend does not look anything like my avatar.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Wanna be a girl. Ibuki_Warpetal's Avatar
    I think you have to question the gender identity of anyone who would "out" you and cite a CD forum as a source.

That's like saying you love Ford on a Ford forum. A VW owner isn't going to come in randomly and give you trouble for it. (:

Anyone watching this site is a CD or a sympathiser. If not, they are a weird crazy stalker with a troublesome fixation.
    --
    Personally, I just prefer to be a faceless mass of black letters. I tend to butt heads with people and I feel this dehumanizes me which is advantageous at times.
    Last edited by Ibuki_Warpetal; 07-27-2007 at 05:27 PM.
    The last name is Warpetal.
    That should have been your first clue.
    No regrets.
    WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU CAN LOSE
    BUT WHEN YOU GIVE UP YOU'VE ALREADY LOST.

I wish I had a pic to post as my avatar. I do have a pic over at my yahoo profile, but I don't think it is allowed here.

When I first joined the forum I was far too shy to show a picture of myself, but many of the members that helped and advised me had their femme picture as an avatar. I wanted to reciprocate and let them see what I looked like, and eventually I plucked up the courage to post a pic of myself. I honestly feel that nobody would ever recognise me, and I certainly don't regret it.

Gold Member
    I have had my face on my avatar many times and hole body shots. when in fem I look nothing like my male self so I was never worried, right now I just find any thing while I'm in one of my moods about why I should dress.

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    I have lost patience with the fear of judgment and confusion from others.

I feel the words of Marianne Williamson. That I fear opening myself up and revealing my magnificence to myself and others MORE than all other fears.

I no longer fear my narcissistic tendencies. They are there, yet shame or guilt about them might lead me to hide myself, and create a tiny world where my narcissism would run rampant. Better to open the doors and windows and get myself out into the light, be who I am (and love) and use the energy I waste in secluding myself to particpate more in the world.

I put my avatar out there so I can be seen and appreciated and measured, and so any reaction toward me can be expressed. I can learn from positive or negative reactions (if positive and negative have any absolute meaning at all (LOL) !). I also feel more Real when I show myself, and hope I feel more Real to those who see me.

I put my avatar out there and change it as I change and grow and explore, and so my path and growth (or shrinking) is seen, and all can 'take my pulse'.

I'm not the same person who logged on here at first, and my avatar is one chronicle of my journey.

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

I am vain enough to believe that Carol Ann bears little or no resemblance from the male she is escaping from. then that little doubt creeps in - is it part of the excitement to risk being recognised?
    'What the caterpillar perceives is the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning'

My Avatar

I posted a pic of myself here, but it wasn't a good one. My avatar pic IS me, but it is not my face...obviously. Why not?? I just don't think I am good enough with make up and everything yet. I was getting mighty brave there for a well...I have been knocked down a peg or two. When my skills are where they need to be, I will have a face shot here, instead of just the legs

Why would I want to post my pic here? I guess for the same reason I want to go out! Or even the same reason I wouldn't want to be locked away from the world in dark cave somewhere forever as a man. To me, Morgan is a part of who I am, and I want to share that with SOMEONE, even if it is only online on a message board with people I don't really know.

Well, thats about all I've got!!

Morgan

I, like others, am not to recognizeable. It really doesn't matter to me anyway. Anyone who matters already knows about me.
    My younger sister said that I look more like our mother than anybody. So....If somebody knows my mother, they might get some kind of clue.
    And it's not like I chose a name to hide from people!

Platinum Member
    i dont care what people think....ive had my picture in trans magazines so an avatar is nothing

Platinum Member
    lol i did the headless ones and was shaking in my heels lol silly me any way this is me still shy.... but here i am.....

It sure ain't "private" for me. I'm out and proud and sometimes loud and know what to do if I draw a crowd, and I want people to know what I look like so they might can recognize me if they see me in real life.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Bill View Post
    It sure ain't "private" for me. I'm out and proud and sometimes loud and know what to do if I draw a crowd, and I want people to know what I look like so they might can recognize me if they see me in real life.
    Your a inspiration to a lot of us Bill

My avatar is me, I'm the Queen of Sheba

Ok... it's not, but it is me in my signature but it did take me about a year to get up the courage (or more like when my Tam would let me lol) put a real picture up of me Besides, if someone saw you here, chances are, they are here for the same reason you are
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn