Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with chest hair?

help with chest hair?

I have found no real success in shaving my chest hair, can any of you lovely ladies provide some insight for me? I have very dark and thick hair and everytime i shave i get a terrible rash and it itches for days. other than laser hair removal which is not in my budget what can you suggest.

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    Waxing or epilating. Both are painful and I'm not sure what does a better job at this point. Every time I wax I get a rash from it, although the rash is getting less and less every time.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

I cannot shave my legs as the itching I get afterwards is awful. In the past I've itched my legs until they were bleeding. I've tried every tip and trick in the book and nothing would stop the itching.

So, my friend recommended I try babyliss simply smooth.

http://www.babyliss.co.uk/jkcm/default.aspx?pg=211

It's absoloutely fantastic. I get no rash, no ingrowing hairs and best of all no itching! Plus, it also exfoliates the skin at the same time which is an added bonus. I don't know how I lived without it.
    God does not play dice with the universe.

He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everybody) to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stales, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules and who smiles all the time.

The only problem with the babyliss is that the pads get worn out very quickly.

Never known where to buy replacement pads from.

Try a moisturizer with salicylic acid as an active ingredient. There are a number of such moisturizers sold at the (CVS) pharmacy. Saw several near the foot care section. Should be other's, such as Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer elsewhere in the store.

A big problem with chest hair is the fact that it is naturally curly for some. Curly hair removed below the surface of the skin often results in it growing back under the skin.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 08-15-2007 at 07:15 AM.
    DonnaT

With the babyliss take a slightly damp cloth and wipe over them to remove the coating that they seem to get after use. Allow them to dry completely and they are as a good as new!
    God does not play dice with the universe.

He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everybody) to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stales, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules and who smiles all the time.

Yea Stacie is not my real
    Just keep shaving and put lots of lotion on, In time the rash will mostly go away.

Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    The only problem with the babyliss is that the pads get worn out very quickly.

Never known where to buy replacement pads from.
    They are for sale on Conair website I linked to there from babyliss website
    Kahlan

Exfoliation is essential on the chest area to avoid ingrown hairs, and it helps reduce shaving rash, too.

As usual, I recommend that you try dry shaving, using baby powder as a lubricant. See this link for details: Dry Body Shaving .

I used to get very itchy from shaving my chest & genital area before I discovered dry shaving. Now that's not a problem for me.

If you try this method, please let me know.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

my solution for chest shaving

hey girl:after shaving my chest i hold as cold a washclothe on my chest as i can stand. for me it cuts way down on the bumps(rash)-have fun -hugs from michille
    michille

Ann, I am with you on the furry chest problem. Even shaving for me did not give a clean look with the thick coarse hairs still visible in the pores. Depending on what type of look you want I have done different options. For higher neck lines I have just taken a tweezer and lowered my hair line just below the neck line of the top I would be wearing. This is a bit time consuming but gets the same results as waxing.

For a bit lower I have waxed my upper chest. The chest is a more tender area of the body so yes a bit of pain involved for sudden but short periods of time. My wife did this for me so waxing also allowed her to take out some of her frustrations with my CDing via pulling off the wax strips and saying to me "So is it worth it". I guess you could call it a type of relationship therapy.

My wife got tired of the stubble coming back so I have begun using an epilator moving it very slowly. And the thicker spots I have been thinning down with the tweezer first then finishing it with the epilator.

One big NOTE: for you. What every amount you are planning on doing do it all at once. Waxing first would be a good option even if then epilating it after. My hair also grows very fast. My first tweezing was over a period of time. By the time I got done with what I was going to do, the new growth was coming back in. So just do it and get it done which ever way you do it.

Also as others have noted. Good skin care and exfoliating is a must to help prevent ingrown hairs. I do not have curly hair, but as someone else said, I have gotten some hairs growing under the skin.

PS Welcome to the forum. Leave a message in the new members area. Does you name have a meaning to it?
    Last edited by KimberlyS; 08-15-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

I too have had horrible results shaving my chest. Last week I decided to use the Moom hair removal system (supposed to be like waxing without the pain...yeah, right!) and it was extremely painful and I got a horrible rash that is finally starting to fade just a little. I tried epilating to remove my chest hair once, but it was excruciating torture. Nair always works good for me, but I don't like the idea of using chemicals on a regular basis.

One thing I did pay attention to the other day, was when my barber was shaving the back of my neck. First he put talcum powder on a brush and lightly dusted, then he took a dry straight razor, shaved and wiped it off in between passes with a cloth. Then immediately after finishing he took witch hazel in his hands and went over every place he had used the razor on. My guess is that with adequate preparation, proper technique and immediate anti bacterial treatment when you're finished, the results should be a lot better. I'm looking forward to trying again soon to see if I can get it right this time. I hope you can find a solution too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha CD View Post
    One thing I did pay attention to the other day, was when my barber was shaving the back of my neck. First he put talcum powder on a brush and lightly dusted, then he took a dry straight razor, shaved and wiped it off in between passes with a cloth. Then immediately after finishing he took witch hazel in his hands and went over every place he had used the razor on.
    Barbers aren't silly. Dry shaving works!

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I used to have the same problem you described. Every time I shaved my chest I got a rash and had terrible itching. Then I got the Philips Bodygroom electric shaver (see this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=64594). Since I tried it, no rash and no itching - just smooth skin. These are getting to be pretty widely available. I've seen them at Target and Walmart and some local pharmacies.
    See this link for the cost from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...7235128&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Phoebe Reece; 08-15-2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Add cost info
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Reece View Post
    I used to have the same problem you described. Every time I shaved my chest I got a rash and had terrible itching. Then I got the Philips Bodygroom electric shaver (see this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=64594). Since I tried it, no rash and no itching - just smooth skin. These are getting to be pretty widely available. I've seen them at Target and Walmart and some local pharmacies.
    And the cost ?

It took me almost 6 months to get my legs under control. Lots of lotion, and for weeks I only shaved with the grain then slowly worked areas until now. As to my chest other then laser hair removal, I used a person that knew how to sugar. Its like waxing but more of a honey type product. Cost around 100, for back and chest, but even then it only lasted about 3-5 weeks. On the good side though I only had bad in-growns on the 1st time.

Good luck.

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

I'll echo Katrina (Reply #2).

I find simply pulling the longest ones out, helps gradually thin it all. 5 mins after shower seems to be the "grippiest" time.

I occasionally epillate some.

Shaving leads to sharp offensive stubble. SO's do not like it.

It all leaves a rash, but it's getting thinner and less rashy. Gradually.

Removing the whole hair results in finer softer hair growing in, not os much sharp stubble.

I have two words that work for me, "Wax it!"
    Dana Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by stacie View Post
    Just keep shaving and put lots of lotion on, In time the rash will mostly go away.
    Thats true...just keep shaving and taking care of your skin. In a month or two you will be doing a lot better with the bumps and itching.

Quote Originally Posted by insearchofme View Post
    I have two words that work for me, "Wax it!"
    I have one word for that 'OUCH'....
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

HI girls my chest hair grows faster then most weeds been shaving for years by the next day I was app man again. then went to waxing lasts longer then shaving but after three day I would get a rash. then just last month I tried lazer and I could not be happer. not compleatly smmoth yet but what a difference and no rash and It hurt way less than waxing.
    huggs jennig

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Leigh View Post
    Exfoliation is essential on the chest area to avoid ingrown hairs, and it helps reduce shaving rash, too.

As usual, I recommend that you try dry shaving, using baby powder as a lubricant. See this link for details: Dry Body Shaving .

I used to get very itchy from shaving my chest & genital area before I discovered dry shaving. Now that's not a problem for me.

If you try this method, please let me know.

Robin
    I dry shave my nether region all the time. i get better coverage in the wrinkly areas and no razor burn.

Tamara

I have really sensitive skin and to my surprise waxing doesn't hurt that much. Sure there's some pain, but it's not too bad. To me a little pain is worth it.
    Dana Fleming

Cost of groomer

$36.88 at Wal-Mart

Target has 2 with the same name. One says new, it is $36.99. The other one is $44.99.

Beth

Oh how wonderful glam is. surfdoc's Avatar

Funny

You know... I read most of the posts and still I have to laugh. I tried waxing, shaving thining and swearing... I'm Italian and pretty much wind proof, I mean really, I can keep a constant temperature! I have to hand it to all of you... I wish I could get even half passable.
    Ciao'