Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labels, labels everywhere...

Labels, labels everywhere...

No, I'm not talking about a shopping trip to your local dept. store....

*Sigh*

Can anyone else here see the irony?

So much of the harmful predjudices & misconceptions that kick around in the world today, be them race, religion, sexuality etc etc related come down to an unhealthy preoccupation with labels and finding a category for everything, & then people getting upset that they're in the wrong category or whatever, or people in one category use them to discriminate against those in another.

Here of all places I'd imagine a higher proportion of members have experienced this. Yet there are lots of loonngg threads going on about "I'm a crossdresser, she's a transsexual, he's transgender, you're a this, they're a that, blah blah blah" There's actually more labeling goes on here than in the big wide world, & it just adds to the confusion.

Come on guys & gals, it don't matter. Drop it. Now. Quit over analysing it & just enjoy being yourself. That is really what is important. Life's tooo short.
    [SIZE="3"]Ever painted yourself blue, & pretended to be Smurfette?[/SIZE]

I agree that sometimes labels can be too much but sometimes they help with clarification

There should not be any discrimination to any group or person no matter what label they may or may not have
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Labels aren't bad. It is the result of people wanting to organize things, which is useful in demographic analysis (health care, voting trends, discrimination, etc.), knowing if participation in groups makes sense, and other instances. Stereotypes and prejudice run deeper than labels. I personally don't mind having a label - I indeed have many, I suppose, depending on the context. Labels that apply to me:

Man
    American
    White
    Crossdresser
    Straight
    Atheist
    Artist
    Analyst
    Researcher
    Boyfriend
    Independent
    Arse

It's all good. Sometimes I think people just love to get defensive and stir things up.
    Last edited by Alex!; 08-20-2007 at 05:24 PM.
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

Quote Originally Posted by Andreamfor View Post
    Arse
    Sorry but that just made me laugh. It's currently my favourite "affectionate insult" for someone.

And personally I think labels can be useful when attempting to describe yourself or someone else, particularly in an online community such as this where very few of us actually know any of the people we are talking to.

But I think it's important not to get too hung up about them.

God does not play dice with the universe.

He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared from the perspective of any of the other players (i.e. everybody) to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stales, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules and who smiles all the time.

Junior Member Hippy Chic's Chick's Avatar
    The only label anyone using this forum should be interested in is the one with the washing instructions for your bra!

"I want to feel like a woman!" Said my boyfriend.

"OK", I replied. "The baby needs breastfeeding, the ironing pile is in the kitchen and the washing up is in the sink."

...and I went to the pub.

Man
    American
    White
    Crossdresser
    Straight
    Atheist
    Analyst
    Researcher
    Boyfriend
    Independent
    Arse
    Nice one.

I do agree to an extent. I am not really a label fan, but I do understand that they can sometimes help people understand things that they ordinarily wouldn't.

Personally, I don't care what people label me...I am what I am, and that is all I can be.

Morgan
    “Truth Hits Everybody"

Just another Gurl Hacker Elsbeth's Avatar
    Well labels help us to organize our world. But also help us to hide the true world from us. It is when we invest in the labels that we run into trouble.

But you basic point is well taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippy Chic View Post

Come on guys & gals, it don't matter. Drop it. Now. Quit over analysing it & just enjoy being yourself. That is really what is important. Life's tooo short.
    El

labels create separation. me and you, us and them.

on a personal level it's good to stop believing in them, then maybe you can start to see you don't know what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by chucks View Post
    labels create separation. me and you, us and them.

on a personal level it's good to stop believing in them, then maybe you can start to see you don't know what you are.
    Thank you chucks, you just made my point more succinctly & eloquently.

Labels CAN be used for bad things, but excepting epithets, they're originally intended as tools for communicating with others.

They're also a powerful tool in the hands of those who are willing to use them to dehumanize and set apart those that they don't like.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.
    Labels aren't bad. It is the result of people wanting to organize things, which is useful in demographic analysis (health care, voting trends, discrimination, etc.), knowing if participation in groups makes sense, and other instances. Stereotypes and prejudice run deeper than labels. I personally don't mind having a label - I indeed have many, I suppose, depending on the context. Labels that apply to me:

Man
    American
    White
    Crossdresser
    Straight
    Atheist
    Artist
    Analyst
    Researcher
    Boyfriend
    Independent
    Arse

It's all good. Sometimes I think people just love to get defensive and stir things up.
    I liked the integrity and completeness of your list. Me, I tend to easily overlook my traits if they are less than flattering..

Now that you got me thinking about it, I can't help but catch myself singing Dennis Leary's "I'm an @@#######.

Hmm I guess if the song fits I should sing it out loud and proud eh???

Dee says she liked the last one. I would label her as tactful when she didn't comment on its applicability to me.
    Last edited by BarbaraTalbot; 08-20-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

[SIZE=3]Ever painted yourself blue, & called yourself Smurfette?

Well sure...but isn't that a label?

I'm feelin better now,

sugar
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    [SIZE=3]Ever painted yourself blue, & called yourself Smurfette?

Well sure...but isn't that a label?

I'm feelin better now,

sugar
    [/SIZE]
    Why, you want to be Gargamel?

Why, you want to be Gargamel?
    Gargamel?? ewwwwwww icky

LMAO

Well I hate labels as well, just for the reasons you state. But in our last post about this Tamera brought up an excellent point. If we don't know each other personally- it is easier to know how to respond if one is aware of you particular gender "issue". I had to agree with that. I mean we are all in the same boat pretty much so labels are used here to help us keep track of who is who

Junior Member Hippy Chic's Chick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Gargamel?? ewwwwwww icky

LMAO

I'm telling on you!!

"I want to feel like a woman!" Said my boyfriend.

"OK", I replied. "The baby needs breastfeeding, the ironing pile is in the kitchen and the washing up is in the sink."

...and I went to the pub.

No, I'm not talking about a shopping trip to your local dept. store....

*Sigh*

Can anyone else here see the irony?

So much of the harmful predjudices & misconceptions that kick around in the world today, be them race, religion, sexuality etc etc related come down to an unhealthy preoccupation with labels and finding a category for everything, & then people getting upset that they're in the wrong category or whatever, or people in one category use them to discriminate against those in another.

Here of all places I'd imagine a higher proportion of members have experienced this. Yet there are lots of loonngg threads going on about "I'm a crossdresser, she's a transsexual, he's transgender, you're a this, they're a that, blah blah blah" There's actually more labeling goes on here than in the big wide world, & it just adds to the confusion.

Exactly labels don't help except to make one group inappropriate but there is a faction here that loves em sheesh !!!!!!!!

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyah View Post
    Exactly labels don't help except to make one group inappropriate but there is a faction here that loves em sheesh !!!!!!!!

hmmm, if only we had a label for that faction, we could all avoid them...

~ducks~
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    I totally agree HC, which is why I always use the term transgender (or trans for short) which covers all of us. BTW, transgender is an adjective not a verb. You cannot transgender someone and you cannot be transgendered (just as can't be talled).
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Labeling versus Describing...

Sometimes in our posts we don't mean to LABEL but to DESCRIBE what one is talking about.

It's amazing how this lifestyle is like a "Family Tree" that Forks into different directions re: CD, TG, TS, etc.

Maybe thats why Doctors are a little reluctant to study us in fear if they catoragize us or say the wrong thing, they may be sued.

Also some girls just need to know (where they/how they) fit in this "FAMILY TREE" so they may want a LABEL just for self satisfaction.

Hugs,
    Tamera
    Please read this regarding personal information http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_personal_information

[SIZE="2"]"GENDER" is not whats between the "THIGHS", but whats between the "EARS".....[/SIZE]

There's actually more labeling goes on here than in the big wide world, & it just adds to the confusion.
    I blame Darwin
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Labels that apply to me:

Man
    American
    White
    Crossdresser
    Straight
    Atheist
    Artist
    Analyst
    Researcher
    Boyfriend
    Independent
    Arse

It's all good.
    No, it's not all good. It's one thing (self-deprecating funny) when you apply labels to yourself, but quite another (demeaning and judgmental) when somebody else does it to you.

Emerging butterfly...
    It looks like we all agree that labels are a necessary evil, especially in our diverse, TG community. I choose "T-girl" for myself, figuring that if anyone is actually interested what flavor I am, all they gotta do is ask. If they make assumptions then it merely reflects their own ignorance- not my problem!

Hugz,

(T-girl) Veronica

If you hate labels so much how come you here and not on Imjusta regularhumanbeing.com posting?? And its not really the labels that are the problems its the idiots that interpert them..

Label me with complimentary labels any day!! CHMC - Cute Hetrosexual Male Crossdresser!!

If it wenrt for labels we would have nothing to talk about!! Hehe. The place would be over run with pantie threads again!!

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Labels can be useful to describe the different parts of the complex gender/sexuality landscape. They only become harmful when people build mental fences in that landscape & try to box us into our own little paddocks.

All I want is the freedom to find where I fit on that landscape, & as long as I don't go around hurting others, why should it matter to anyone else?

I think gender theory threads are important. There are still a lot of negative & destructive ideas floating around about causes of CD/TG, and I don't like to see people torturing themselves in the name of erroneous beliefs.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe