Thread: Should I have picked a guy name?

Should I have picked a guy name?

I'm posting this here but I would also like to know what the F2M guys thing about this. When I first came here I just didn't want to use my real name. I figured the proper thing to do was pick a girl name, because, well, that just seemed like what you should do. But, I don't really concider myself a woman but because I have a woman's name that's the way I'm adressed and it seems thought of. So, would it have been better to have picked a guy's name or is it assumed that if your M2F crossdresser then it's just proper to be adressed as female?

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I'm posting this here but I would also like to know what the F2M guys thing about this. When I first came here I just didn't want to use my real name. I figured the proper thing to do was pick a girl name, because, well, that just seemed like what you should do. But, I don't really concider myself a woman but because I have a woman's name that's the way I'm adressed and it seems thought of. So, would it have been better to have picked a guy's name or is it assumed that if your M2F crossdresser then it's just proper to be adressed as female?
    if you are M2F why would you being using a male name on a CD forum, so yeah if M2F stick with a girls name

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Not all M2F TGs feel the need to use a female name. I say use whatever feels right to you.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Aspiring Member
    Look at mine, noname. I have the worst time thinking up screen names and I certainly don't consider myself or want to be considered female.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

This question was kind of inspired by a thread started by one of the f2m, I don't remember which, were he was pointing out that post adressed as "hey girls" tend to leave them out and I was all yeah, I don't consider myself a girl and being referred to as one is a little wierd for me too but then I was all 'well what do expect with a name like Amy.' And maybe I should just go with the flow because, hey if you want to dress as one you should just except being called one. So, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle of changing it seeing how it's been Amy since 2004. Plus, I get the feeling I'd still be referred to as she and girl and girlfriend and what not even if I did go by a guy name.

MTF doesn't necessarily equal a girls name .. why should it ?

I have one because I felt I have to have one, because almost all FTMs have one ... peer pressure, you know.
    (Now I stick to it 'cause I have it ... my personality wouldn't and didn't change with a name change)

Peer pressure isn't a good adviser in the long run.
    Find your way and your name.

(Ask the mods if you want to change your name ... only they can do)
    Last edited by Marla S; 08-30-2007 at 06:17 PM.

You can have any kind of name you want - boy, girl, neither, something in between. And you have the right to be addressed however you want too (he, she). If you want your name changed here, just ask. Go with whatever makes you comfortable.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can call yourself whatever you like hun If you feel better with a boy name then use one hun it OK and if some one don't like it thatv to bad most of us will respct you choice at lest I know I will
    Angie

Call yourself what ever you want. But if you go out dressed and some one talks to they will use a female form of address. And if with friends have them call you JOHN while dressed will draw attention to you.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Your screen name only helps us differentiate you from the other people on the forum. It could be Lucy or it could be Billie-Bob. It just does not matter on line. What you call yourself when out enfemme is a different matter, though, as you should have a name that matches your appearance.

I personally wouldn't use a guy name as my name on here it don't fit my look. But you can use whatever name you would like.
    Good bye i'm at wacko taco .com now

Little Ms Witch Hermione Simpson's Avatar
    Nottinghamshire UK or the minstry of magic
    if you're not comfortable using a female name on here, you could always use a gender neutral name while posting on here, but it's entirely up to you on what you choose to do
    Although i'm a witch, I can be nice as well (honestly)

http://www.facebook.com/people/Hermi...son/1527490088

Also check out my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/hermionesimpson

Thanks every one. I'm trying to deside if it bugs me enough to change it. If I picked a guy name I still wouldn't pick my own so it's not like I'd really identify with it ether. You're probably right though if I do go out enfemme I should probably have a female name but I'd just go by myself so it's not like there'd be anyone to adress me anyways. I guess I'll stick with Amy for now until I deside on what to do.

Do whatever you are comfortable with, Amy. It's traditional at CD/TG support groups & forums for members to use pronouns & names that are associated with the target gender. But if you want to use a male name or to be referred to with male pronouns, that's your choice. Just let people know, somehow, or it can get confusing trying to remember which pronouns to use with whom.

I don't see myself as a woman. I'm a person who is predominantly male, but with some strong female elements. Being en femme helps me to bring my feminine energies to the surface. Using a femme name is just an element in that process.

FWIW, Robin Leigh is my real middle name, which is why I spell Robin with an 'i', rather than the more feminine way with a 'y', although both forms have been used for both males & females.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Go with what ever feels good for you. I came up with a girls name long before I ever new about this website. However I spend most of my time dress like a guy and act completely like a guy. I only thought of the name for when the time is right. I like the fact I can go by that name here. No one knows about the name Trinni for me except the people on this site and myself.

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.
    I like Barbara because by giving 'her' a name it makes the construction more real to me. I see her as a construction of my male side, but that is because, I lean towards the CD end of the spectrum more than the transsexual. Like you are describing it is fun, it doesn't seem to unlock facets of my personality lost to time and repression as I tried to be "more male" but it isn't something I am particularly moving toward. Although I realize many are. to keep it simple with pronouns I refer to all CD's as she to be respectful to those that really are she.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

I'm a mtf and i chose a guy name although i didn't really understand how things worked then and wish i would have chose a girl name
    lie for a smile truth for a tear

do what you feel is right , as for me well take a look at my avatar .. " Paul " seems a little odd don't you think ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member
    I actually thing "Joey" is somewhat gender neutral.
    I know of a woman who named her little girl "Joey."
    It's not traditional yet, but everything takes time right?

As far as the OP, i think you should choose whatever you like. Doesnt matter that youve been here since 04.

my so doesnt use a female name, he doesnt have one and doesnt want one.
    No reason for a hard and fast rule.
    Last edited by crunchysoda; 09-08-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    ~Amber GG married to a CD
    Open mind open heart. Straight but not narrow. Momma to my sweet babies.
    Strong inside but you don't know it/Good little girls they never show it

My name is gender neutral. In fact, it's what my mom calls me to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniwannabe View Post
    . What you call yourself when out enfemme is a different matter, though, as you should have a name that matches your appearance.
    why? to conform?
    do what you feel is right for you hunni, online or in life ... no rights or wrongs

When I dress en femme I use the name 'Judy' in drab I use my male name, when I joined this forum 'Judy' was taken and I did not want to use 'Tom' so I made up a name. One advantage we have is being able to use any name we like and to be able to change your name anytime.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbeckytv View Post
    why? to conform?
    do what you feel is right for you hunni, online or in life ... no rights or wrongs
    I only state that as when you are out in a dress and makeup, do you want to be called George or some such?