Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things you collect....(for everyone to answer)

Platinum Member

Things you collect....(for everyone to answer)

Reflecting on the boys toys thread, I mentioned I collect caps, all kinds of memorabilia caps from sports to films, as most know i also collect ties and also T-shirts, again thats mainly films and sports t-shirts, so what i was wonder is there something you avidly collect......tell us about what you collect?

Things related to the history of sugar.
    Sweet, isn't it

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla S View Post
    oooh sounds interesting Marla, care to expand on what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew
    oooh sounds interesting Marla, care to expand on what you mean
    Well, vintage postcards showing sugar refineries, company certificates, vintage iron sugar nips, old sugar cones, scientific instruments for sugar analysis, and stuff like that.
    Almost everything that highlights the cultural and industrial history of sugar. But because my budget is tight it's a slowly growing collection and I have to resell some of the more expensive items from time to time.
    The tight budget is also the reason I am not collecting silver items, like sugar bowls or sugar tongs.
    Last edited by Marla S; 09-24-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    Reflecting on the boys toys thread, I mentioned I collect caps, all kinds of memorabilia caps from sports to films, as most know i also collect ties and also T-shirts, again thats mainly films and sports t-shirts, so what i was wonder is there something you avidly collect......tell us about what you collect?
    I collect a lot of Pagan items, have for years....Chalices, candles, bells, cauldrons, incense burners, statues, wall plaques, etc.....I have enough candles and incense to keep Me going for the next fifty years...I am also very much into music and have a LOT of music files that I interchange regularly on My IPOD....all types, styles of music from very hypnotic Indie, to classical, to alternative, to hard rock, soft rock, name it, I probably have it....and I'm always trying new music....Also buy clothes a lot, love sports related clothing, jerseys, t-shirts, etc.....Oh, and JEEP stuff....I LOVE My Jeep....and love things with the Jeep insignia....That's about it....**Trey**
    Ever The Opportunist

Platinum Member
    Well, vintage postcards showing sugar refineries, company certificates, vintage iron sugar nips, old sugar cones, scientific instruments for sugar analysis, and stuff like that.
    Almost everything that highlights the cultural history of sugar. But because my budget is tight it's a slowly growing collection and I have to resell some of the more expensive items from time to time.
    The tight budget is also the reason I am not collecting silver items, like sugar bowls or sugar tongs.
    wow that really sounds a interesting and unusual collection, ok another question, if i may? what got you interested in this in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by SirTrey View Post
    I collect a lot of Pagan items, have for years....Chalices, candles, bells, cauldrons, incense burners, statues, wall plaques, etc.....
    you have cauldrons?? well cool!!....i must admit i like incense burners too
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 09-24-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew
    what got you interested in this in the first place?
    That's quite easy. I am a chemist, did some family research, discovered that one of my ancestors founded a company some 160 years ago together with a guy who became later one of the most prominent sugar chemists of his time.
    Started reading old chemistry books about sugar and got interested in this subject.
    Last edited by Marla S; 09-24-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Platinum Member
    That's quite easy. I am a chemist, did some family research, discovered that one of my ancestors founded a company some 160 years ago together with a guy who became later one of the most prominent sugar chemists of his time.
    Started reading old chemistry books about sugar and became interested in this subject.
    thanks for sharing Marla

Sweet, isn't it
    Does that include, rum?

I collect nautical and piratical stuff (big surprise, right?), and I also get a pin from every Hard Rock Cafe I've ever visited in my travels. I'm going to need a new box for those soon.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

you have cauldrons?? well cool!!....i must admit i like incense burners too

LOL.....Yep....I have cauldrons...Several, actually....And a LOT of Pentacles. **Trey**
    Ever The Opportunist

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex
    Does that include, rum?
    If it is an old one, of course.
    But somehow it evaporates, once I have it

swords and old weaponry, odd and ends that i find when i go to old castles / muesuems /ruins.

caps, coca cola stuff, mini di cast cars and posters, And money

I don't collect any single thing in particular per se, but I do have large quantities of certain items that I actually use. Like origami paper, old socks, crayons, and lint. I keep them around because they're useful in art projects.
    Story of my life –>

Books!!!

Not any type of book in particular, just lots and lots of books! (I have three bookshelve units in my room, and I've got another two on order to fill with the boxes of books under my bed(and probably some more when I next get paid)).
    Mentaly unstable like a fox!

Transitional Journal on the FTM transitioning bord: A to B, via T

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...4faf/event.png

I have a surprisingly large collection of foreign coins considering that I've only ever been to Canada (which if you're from Michigan is basically America). Found some and been given some as gifts. It's starting to become a real hobby.
    I wanna know, can you show me
    I wanna know about these
    strangers like me
    Tell me more, please show me
    Somethings familiar about these strangers like me

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Books!!!

Not any type of book in particular, just lots and lots of books! (I have three bookshelve units in my room, and I've got another two on order to fill with the boxes of books under my bed(and probably some more when I next get paid)).
    ^^ Ditto to that. I probably personally own about 400 books.

I'm not sure if it counts as "collecting" but I keep every birthday card/christmas card/holiday card that anyone sends me, along with any certificates/awards I receive. I have about 2 shoe boxes full at this point.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Keys...

For the last 30 years or so I've picked up keys whenever I come across them at flea markets, yard sales and such. My collection (last count) was nearly 800.

Attachment 54099

I have no earthly idea what I'm going to do with 800 keys.
    Last edited by Tedi; 04-25-2008 at 08:05 PM.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    I collect G.I. Joe's and female action figures.

Well I used to collect plushies and those little plastic animals... but I basically grew out of all of that and donated almost all of it to places containing lots of children. Since then I've tried to "travel light" since I'm in that lovely transient stage of my life (pun intended) wherein I'm changing living situations at an alarmingly frequent rate. Thus, no collecting possible. I guess I have a lot of books, but I'm pairing down on those, too.

SirTrey, I'm envious of your cauldrons. I've been wanting one for almost 10 years, but just haven't been able to afford or find one.

My own collections include stuffed animals(I admit it!), coins my grandmother gives me, I collect baby paraphernalia.. currently have 4 strollers, crib, toddler bed(which my toddler no longer sleeps in), two Snuglis, ring sling, pouch sling... Yeah, I collect baby stuff.

And males.. for some reason, I'm surrounded by males: my kids, my partners, my darn cat! It sounds weird, but I do collect males.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For certain you must be lost to find a place that can't be found. Else ways, everyone would know where it was. ~ Captain Barbossa, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End

Hmm, what do I collect? Where do I start?

Books (particularly antique ones, I LOVE old books); matryoshka dolls (I am half Ukrainian so they are of personal significance); antique clothing, sewing patterns and magazines; pagan paraphernalia (especially things relating to Brighid); candles; anything with wolves on it (especially white wolves); owls; spinning fibres, yarn and knitting paraphernalia and patterns (yes, I am a fibreholic lol); antique buttonhooks, collars, lace and any other little antique bits and pieces that interest me when I find them; antique sewing machines (I currently have 9, all of which are in full working order because I restore them, my oldest one was made in 1885).

Daniel
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

I have a small collection of cigarette lighters and cases. I love some of the stuff from the 40's and 50's, such style. I don't smoke anymore so they are just for collecting not using. My oldest lighter is a "Magic Pocket Lighter" from the late 1800's. It is very ornate.
    Sally

Wow, what a great lighter, I love it I am fascinated by all things Victorian (as I mentioned in my previous post I collect clothes and patterns and whatever else I can find that takes my fancy LOL), but never thought of lighters.

Daniel
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

Daffy Duck Items. My alter ego if you will. Bad tempered wise ass. loL

Daffy came on the scene sixty five years ago and my oldest item is a clipping from a magazine announcing that.
    I have some cast figures about five inches high from the forties. Up to recent issues like a biscuit tin from Australia, a milk bottle from Canada, Several cookie jars, numerous coffee cups and plushes. My fave in a talking wrist watch with five of my hero's sayings on it. I get some smiles out of the kids when I play it for them.

See you guys, Joy ain't so bad.