Thread: Opra did well

Opra did well

I think Opra's show today was well done. What do you gal's think.
    She also has an other show coming up on Oct. 12 on transgender and famley. That one I should make my wife watch. we'll see.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Short Skirts & Long Legs
    I'll take your word for it, she along with most talk show hosts live in a world of perfection...A case where money talks and **** ***T walks...

I detest them all, perhaps they should remember the real world, if that were possible and learn to live where we all do...

In the paved over air-conditioned desert.

Watching it now...

So far pretty well done.

Younger trans-man, post reduction surgery, takes hormones great support form his Mom.

Not sure yet on the age of the transwoman. Her segment is on now. She is on T-blockers.

Next was Dr. Marci Bowers. I read her story on her web site really early on in my quest for information when I started dressing. It was nice to see her in 3 dimensions and speaking.

Hard to pay attention when it came on right as the kids came home and parade through from time to time.

also saw an HBO special on transgendered issues. It was from the bio perspective and was really more about bio and orientation issues in the animal kindom, with parrallels drawn. Segment on Thai FtM performers.
    Last edited by BarbaraTalbot; 09-28-2007 at 05:56 PM.
    Vincent Vega: Well, I confess that I wait to talk, but I am trying to learn to listen. (paraphrased)

Barbara's Blog

Just trying be who I am. Byllie's Avatar
    Darn, missed it. I'll just have to wait for You Tube.
    Life comes in all colors ... so please be kind to all you meet.

Aspiring Member
    I saw bits and pieces of it since I had my son w/me.

The TS woman was 21, I recall hearing that.

I thought it was done well.

Ive seen Dr. Bowers before on another cable show (dont know which one though it's been awhile) and Ive seen a few cable specials on TG.
    ~Amber GG married to a CD
    Open mind open heart. Straight but not narrow. Momma to my sweet babies.
    Strong inside but you don't know it/Good little girls they never show it

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTalbot View Post

Not sure yet on the age of the transwoman. Her segment is on now. She is on T-blockers.
    She was 21

I thought Oprah did well. She seemed to have a "Wow, I did not know that" attitude. She also said a few times she wished we could all just be who we are and be accepted.

I thought the show was pretty well done also.. Something that stood out to me during the conversations was the acceptance everyone seemed to have towards gay and lesbians. They just seemed to accepted so much more than being transgendered..

Quote Originally Posted by sara_also View Post
    I thought the show was pretty well done also.. Something that stood out to me during the conversations was the acceptance everyone seemed to have towards gay and lesbians. They just seemed to accepted so much more than being transgendered..
    They have been working together as a community for acceptance much longer than us.

Show Repeats Tonite

Here in Chicago, the Oprah show will repeat tonight at 11:00. You might want to check your listings...

Kathleen

Oprah

I too, thought the show was well done and very compasionate. Glad to see the subject is becoming more mainstream.

Huggs, Renee

I watched the show felt that it opened more than a few eyes. I went to her web site and read the comments. The negative comments were the usual from the"Bible Thumping",closed minded people.

Kendra

show

I thought the show was done well. I thought that Dr. Bowers was very good. It was nice to see that she is still in a loving relationship with her wife.

The film clips showed the family as a family and that was a very good statement for other people in the same situation.

I usually do not watch Oprah, but I felt she did well.

Alice

Did someone record the program? Unfortunately I was at work and missed it. Would it be possible for someone to upload the program to youtube so that we all can see it?

thanks,

Jamie
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

it was well done , i think i will see what the next installment is like
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just got done watching the show. The start of the show she talked about people being accepting and what was to follow would shock some people.
    I really enjoyed the show. The Mom of the 16yr old boy (born a girl) what a open minded person - only if more people were like her.
    On the 12th the show is going to be about transgendered parent and family. I will have to record that one also.

TX & MN
    Oprah deserves a bit of gratitude from all of us.

I thought that the fact that the TG girl's family did not accompany her spoke to the non-acceptance most of us have faced. The TG girl was brave..., and very beautiful!

Dr. Bowers (a great surgeon; she trimmed my adam's apple a while ago) was also beautiful.

Cindi Johnson

So did any one notice how one sided the show was!! the only one of the two oprah talked to or about was the sixteen year old as far as I could tell, she barely talked to the young lady!!
    xoxoxoJennifer Easton
    Mighty bold talk for a one-eyed fat girl!

I especially enjoyed the segment on Dr. Marci Bowers, and the brief history of her transition.

I would have enjoyed a full hour about Dr. Bowers and her experiences as a physician, surgeon, and parent.

I also thought Oprah was pretty low-key and accepting of everything.

Not bad at all for commericial television.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer easton View Post
    So did any one notice how one sided the show was!! the only one of the two oprah talked to or about was the sixteen year old as far as I could tell, she barely talked to the young lady!!
    I got the feeling it was mostly because the young man had so much support which gave Oprah more to talk about. I did feel sorry for the young lady. She didn't seem to have any support at all.

I applaud Oprah for her openess. Can't believe this segment could have been as well recieved even 10 years ago.

I Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Rose View Post
    I got the feeling it was mostly because the young man had so much support which gave Oprah more to talk about. I did feel sorry for the young lady. She didn't seem to have any support at all.

I applaud Oprah for her openess. Can't believe this segment could have been as well recieved even 10 years ago.
    Lisa, I totally agree with you! I also felt sorry for the young lady But my hat is off to her for her courage and coming on the show to tell her story.
    I think we'll see more of Dr. Bowers life on the Oct. 12th show.

Huggs, Renee

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sara_also View Post
    People want to categorize and compartmentalize. It is easy with heterosexual, gay and lesbian people. It's a "this" and not "that" kind of thinking. It is much harder for bisexuals and transgendered people. Then it becomes a "this" and maybe not "that" or maybe not "this" and maybe not "that", etc. It is very confusing when previous history does not match current presentation. If the desire to categorize is strong enough, it is hard to entertain some degree of ambiguity.

I also agree that Oprah tended to favor the young man, but overall it was a pretty well handled program. It's rare to see transexuals presented in a good light on TV (think Maury's "Man or Woman?" stuff.) And wouldn't you know it - just as Dr. Bowers came on, my neighbor, "The Colonel," popped in for a visit, so I switched to CNN. He knows about me, but I don't feel comfortable being "me" around him.