Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting used to wearing stiletto heels

WOW!!! Thanks so much, girls. That's why I love this group and this site.
    Actually, I was hoping to hear that it's simply a matter of persistence and that, after a while, the pain goes away. Some did say that and I will certainly get practice this weekend in PTown.
    Kim's comments, which I value very highly because I know she wears high heels for hours at a time, somehow ring true. My shoes, alas, are mostly from Payless. Well, darn it, they do look so beautiful and/or funky, how does a girl resist? I have bought Ros Homerson's and other more expensive brands from Zappo's but they don't necessarily feel any better- and sometimes even worse. My masseuse was trying to get me to buy a pair of Cole-Haan shoes. She told me they have a Nike air cushion in them. But, they are really pricey.

When I try on the shoes as Abby in the store, I am usually on such a high that I'm not completely aware of how great a fit the shoes are. I just adore wearing them. One time, a Black GG customer near me told me, "Girl, those shoes are so BAAAD!!!" After that, it was all I could do to prevent myself from buying the whole store out, I felt sooo good! The shoes were a silver cloth sandal with 3 1/2" heels- and they are, in fact, soo baaad. I hope to wear them to the final night Ball.
    Please keep the advice coming and I am truly grateful to all of you who wrote.
    Love
    Abby

Try More styles on.

I have some great heels and boots that have a sexy heel but more support. I'm a big gal and I have found 1 comfortable pair of heels for about every 7 pairs I try or buy.

Good luck hun!

Amanda

You didn't really describe the character and locality of your foot pain. Where is the pain located? If it's in the toes...probably your feet are too wide and the shoes are too narrow. Shoes come in widths and they will vary. Standard off the shelf heels from Payless or Walmart, probably standard for a woman, a "B" Width. That may be way too narrow for you.

Other areas of pain often indicate different problems. So it would be helpful to get a little more info.

You can also try "Chunky Heels." They look girly-girl, they are a lot more stable, and usually more comfortable.

The only other suggestion is to "build up," your wearing time by finding a comfortable pair and wearing them around the house for a couple of hours each night....that also might help. No GG or any other gurl was born wearing heels, they had to learn how to wear them, and increase their "On your feet time."

Peace and Love, Joanie

I've been trying to get my wife to wear more girly shoes but she still resists. (It's also a good way for me to "borrow" what she's got )

We went to DSW today and I saw all sorts of shoes I'd love to have in my collection. She ended up buying some flip-flops and sandals (not very cute). No girly shoes again.

Then while out for a walk, I happened to find $20 on the street. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going tomorrow

I just came back from 3 whole days as Abby at Fan Fair and it was one of the most wonderful times of my life. Hope to share some pics soon.
    I got to wear a bunch of my high heels and can tell you that the major problem is the pain in the balls (no pun intended) of my feet after wearing them for as little as 10 minutes. The shoes actually felt quite comfortable until then.
    I did get to wear some clunkier heels as well and was very pleased that I tolerated them quite well. Of course, they hardly look sexy but still look quite girly- so it wasn't so bad. I just love seeing my pedicure through my stockings and my peep-toe heels.

Hi Abby,

Read different responses to your post and agree with the adage; "you get what you pay for." A friend of mine has a shoe store in Chicago which is well-known to the transgendered community. There, all customers, regardless of birth sex, can try on a myriad of shoes and styles, and know that the shoe will fit properly. I personally am not blessed with a face that blends easily into a woman's but my legs seem to have no trouble with any height of heel. I'd suggest finding a store in the NY/NJ area that welcomes TG/CD customers and go there. You'll also find one company's idea of a girl's size 11 or 12 can be different than another company's size 11 or 12. Once you get familiar with a company's size fit, and if you later see something you "have to have" online, you can order it with the confidence it should fit. The other thing to consider is perhaps give the front of the foot a bit of lift by adding a platform. Wedges are great that way, a 4-6" heel with a 1-2" platform can be incredibly comfortable.

Denise Somers

heels

after 15 yrs of wearing heels of all types I have only recently mastered walking in anything over 4 inches well. Quality shoes are important, and remember heel first

Talking

[QUOTE=Suzie Green;1041378]Try different shoes too. The position of the heel in relation to the entire sole of your foot and your center of gravity can make a big difference. Even a 1/2 inch forward or backward feels different. All shoes are not made the same. I have several pairs of 4 inch heels and they all have their own "feel" to them. I have 2 pairs like these from MissHighHeel.com and I can walk in them all day long with no problems, they are as comfortable as my running shoes. And at $22 they are a bargain too!

OK, I have found the site, but not those cute shoes!!! What are they called, or can you give me a link to them, please?

I jusat bought a wonderful pair of heels at Meijers for $25.00. Wonderful to walk in, even though they are a half size too small...comfortable!
    Last edited by Cara Allen; 10-29-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    So I turned myself to face me, but I've never caught a glimpse
    Of how the others must see the faker,I'm much too fast to take that test.
    And these children you spit on, as they try to change their worlds,
    Are immune to your consultation, They're quite aware of what they're going thru!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes David Bowie

[SIZE="1"]by Cara Allen[/SIZE]Cara

The feet aren't my problem it's my knees. That's only because they are so screwed up to start with, hurt nearly every day and then put more pressure on them with the heels OMG now that's some serious pain. Other then that I love my high heels in any height just can't wear them to often. not at all if you ask my doctor, but what does he know any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby Lauren View Post
    I was wondering if any of you have progressed from sheer pain (as opposed to those of you who may never have had such pain) to being able to comfortably wear these heels. And, if so, what helped you get to that point? I would be grateful to all of you who reply.
    Abby, The correct sizes did it for me. The better shoes have better support architecture. I like the wedge heels as trainers for you feet.

Good Luck babe

Womens as well as mens shoes need a break-in period before they become comfortable. I have found that the better shoes have a much quicker break-in time. I have several pairs of fairly expensive 3-4" heels and they are the "Bomb". I tend to wear a little shorter heel or flats being that I'm 6'-2". But I still love to wear my big heels...

Rach

Kinda late but I would love to put my 2 cents in. I wear 3" heels made by Pleaser. The heels are more of a block style instead of the more narrow stilletto. I tried wearing 4" stilletto heels and just couldn't do it. My weight and balance were completely off. But the Pleaser pumps with the block heel work just fine for me. I can walk in those for hours without pain. And I have them in a size 14 wide. That's perfect for me.
    -Audrey

Quote Originally Posted by Monique Althea View Post
    GG's who almost exclusively wear pumps have told me that their feet had to become conditioned to standing in them all day.
    Exactly. GG's, for the most part, have had a nice head start to getting used to heels. From their high school prom all the way through their workplace. That's alot of years of wearing heels, and most still gripe about the comfort.

As for wanting to wear 5"+ heels, train your feet with 2", then 3" and 4" to work your way up.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdavid View Post
    The feet aren't my problem it's my knees. That's only because they are so screwed up to start with, hurt nearly every day and then put more pressure on them with the heels OMG now that's some serious pain. Other then that I love my high heels in any height just can't wear them to often. not at all if you ask my doctor, but what does he know any way.
    I used to wear heels a couple of times a week. I developed some back pain, and went to my chiropractor, and he was messing around with my back, and said something like, "Oh a lumbar 45... That's called the high heel lumbar... usually, you don't see that spot giving out in men..." I swear... Outed by my chiropractor!
    So I turned myself to face me, but I've never caught a glimpse
    Of how the others must see the faker,I'm much too fast to take that test.
    And these children you spit on, as they try to change their worlds,
    Are immune to your consultation, They're quite aware of what they're going thru!

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes David Bowie

[SIZE="1"]by Cara Allen[/SIZE]Cara

I have 13 pairs of stilletto heels and practiced walking in them first

Just one small word of warning: last night I went out into the yard in my heels took a short cut over the grass and slowly sank backwards into a flower bed as my stilettos pierced through the turf! Ended up on a bed, legs akimbo: what more can a girl ask!
    Amanda x
    So far in the closet, I've got one foot in Narnia!

Never do anything that seemed a good idea at the time!

Today I am the youngest I'm ever going to be!

add me and message amanda.shaft@hotmail.co.uk

http://amandashaft.hi5.com

I really like the shoes at Payless, although they don't have any that are over 3" in my size(12) and even those have been really good to wear for 6-8 hours. I have a couple of pair that are 5" and can't tolerate them. I try to stay in the 2-3" range. There shoes with the stilleto type heel are comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cara Allen View Post
    I used to wear heels a couple of times a week. I developed some back pain, and went to my chiropractor, and he was messing around with my back, and said something like, "Oh a lumbar 45... That's called the high heel lumbar... usually, you don't see that spot giving out in men..." I swear... Outed by my chiropractor!
    It reminds me of when I first started wearing women's shoes- in those days, women's pumps, primarily. I started to develop strange bumps in my feet and went to a podiatrist. He looked at me in a strange way and said that he normally sees those (bunions?) on women who try to get into too-tight fitting shoes- especially pumps. He suggested I buy wider shoes but with a really quizzical look on his face. Of course, at a subsequent visit when I asked him what I could do about the grooves in my big toenails, he suggested red nail polish. Methinks he knows something.
    I want to thank all you gals for your helping hands (and feet). I'm temporarily wearing somewhat clunkier heels (but not too clunky) and gradually trying to wear my stilettos longer and longer.
    The story evolves.

Intolerant of intolerance Blonde's Avatar
    Try walking on your toes as much as possable (even in drab), that'll help "train your legs"... for me (it may sound strange), walking in heels relives my back problems, and quite often I walk on my toes when my back hurts (heels give my feet a "break" since the heel can support me).

The main problem is that "guys" tend to walk "heel-toe" and walking in heels requires a "toe-heel" kind of walk.
    I am intolerant of those who are intolerant

I've had a few pairs of 4" heels

About four pairs from HayWay here in the UK and they have all been comfortable.

Practice and conditioning of the muscle tone caused by spikes is the only way, also it helps to be petite or of weight designed for spikes. I know I can't wear mine as long as I once could.

Banned Read only
    I wear mid high heels around 2 1/2 inch around the house every day, especially in the morning, while I'm having breakfast and coffee. This keeps my feet in shape for heels, and it's just a little step up to 3 or 3 1/2 inch heels when I want to go out. Also, buy shoes that you can wear. And most of those 4 and 5 inch fetish heels are mostly for photos, and lounging around. You don't see many real women wandering around in 5 inch heels, and there's a reason!
    Watch women at a dance or wedding. They kick their heels off under the table, when they sit down, and put them back on when they get up. Later in the evening, they will be wearing flats, or lower heels.
    Last edited by Melinda G; 10-31-2007 at 10:13 AM.

4" heels are comfy..for about 2-hours and then my calves start to kill me

i think we all have shared your pain!

i've found that open toe heels work best for me also and if i stay at 3 in. or under, i have no pain...oh..my feet are wider, also...so make sure you get the right width...squishing the sides in is no way to get your feet happy!
    Also, platform and other wide heels are much more comfy then stillettos, but that should be obvious why..you're putting all that weight on a small point! Most cd's don't realize heels are designed for a much more delicate frame then the majority of us have, so the higher you go...the more "ouchy" it's going to get! Let's face it dear...5 in. heels were designed for looking good while standing and sitting...not so much walking!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Big Hugs!
    Ash
    [/SIZE]

My Heroes Wore Nylons Lovely Rita's Avatar

With time I guess my feet got used to it

Quote Originally Posted by Abby Lauren View Post
    Hi Gals
    I am soon to spend three glorious days as Abby at Fantasia Fair in Provincetown. Like many of you, I absolutely adore my stiletto heels as well as my other high heels. However, I have yet to be able to feel at all comfortable in them after about ten minutes on my feet. Quite the contrary. My feet scream out at me in pain. Anything above 2 inches gets my feet to writhe in agony pretty quickly.
    I was wondering if any of you have progressed from sheer pain (as opposed to those of you who may never have had such pain) to being able to comfortably wear these heels. And, if so, what helped you get to that point? I would be grateful to all of you who reply.
    Hugs
    Abby
    I have been able to go 8 hours in 4 stillettos, I am sure a Podiatrist is in the cards, but with time it has gotten easier. I guess it also helps to break the shoes in with more wear.
    Hugs

Lovely Rita

The journey is about learning how to love and to do it with all our heart.

The Revolution moves forward!!!!!
    aspiring to be "part of the cure and not the disease."
    to quote Cold Play.

Becoming the person I was created to be
    not the person you expect me to be

"Girls Just Want to Have FUN!"

You don't need an excuse to Love just an opportunity!