Thread: Um... Um... Uh?

Bronx, NY, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Galaxy, The Universe

Um... Um... Uh?

I apologise for putting this here instead of the Clubhouse, and hope the Cap'n will forgive me; there's someone who can't go there, who I'd like to see this.

I'm kind of stunned and crying.

Just got an email from my advisor. We're trying to herd cats right now and get all 5 members of my committee and myself into a room at the same time for 2 hours for my proposal defense. For the non-Americans, we have to defend our proposal, then write the dissertation, then defend the dissertation.

But anyway, this is what he says:

Had another look at final draft of your proposal text--very very very impressive (it's your topic, your voice, I just tried to help it come out with my suggested revisions)--you have nothing to worry about, no matter what the date or the committee composition. I think there will be a competition to be on your committee! Room besides phil sem rm is ok and pro forma. Start with dates/times--like you said, we can find a room anywhere on campus. Don't wait for proposal defense to continue writing! And again, don't think you're writing just a diss., but also a publishable book manuscript you can send off virtually as is when done.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Way to go, Das. That's so fricking awesome. A heartfelt congratulations to you. You should be very proud of yourself.

Arck la paszzh neek rahpai

That's what I sound like right now.

I don't know how much to believe him, but, well... okay.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." -Margaret Mead

Great news, Das....Congrats!! WTG.... **Trey**
    Ever The Opportunist

Wow.

Way to go, Das!
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Way to go Das!
    Story of my life –>

DUUUDE congrats! That's so very awesome! Brownies and rum all around! Do tell us how it goes!
    I wanna know, can you show me
    I wanna know about these
    strangers like me
    Tell me more, please show me
    Somethings familiar about these strangers like me

Awright Das! Thats AWESOME, dude

Daniel
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

Brooooowwwwnnniiieeees!

WoW! That's cool what he said, the parts I understood anyway.

Very exciting. You should believe in it and yourself. Why not? You're a smart and literate guy. Go for the gusto!

"I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

Impressive! Good luck and congrats on all your hard work.

Platinum Member
    ok now say that in layman terms for the rest of us thicko's!, no seriously well done dude

way cool
    Mentaly unstable like a fox!

Transitional Journal on the FTM transitioning bord: A to B, via T

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...4faf/event.png

Well done, hun.
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

well cool well done

Does this mean we all get signed copies of your book when it's done?
    Story of my life –>

Quote Originally Posted by ZenFrost View Post
    Does this mean we all get signed copies of your book when it's done?
    Depends on how many copies they give me. I'm not sure I'd wish reading it on friends, anyway. It's dry. Phenomenology and all that.

A couple of books that have rocked my world, though, are:

Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud by Thomas Laqueur

and

Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality by Anne Fausto-Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein9 View Post
    Depends on how many copies they give me. I'm not sure I'd wish reading it on friends, anyway. It's dry. Phenomenology and all that.

A couple of books that have rocked my world, though, are:

Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud by Thomas Laqueur

and

Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality by Anne Fausto-Sterling
    Bah! I wanna read yours! What's wrong with dry?
    Story of my life –>

Woohoo!!! Hey Das, that's really, really impressive! And great news! I know you've been stressing a bit on getting the defense over with, so it's terrific to hear that's moving ahead.

Now, on the subject of free copies (signed or not!), I'm not above offering cataloging and establishing of name headings for a free copy. Aww, heck, who am I kidding, I'll do it without a free copy! And I know it's too early to think of this now, but if you DO get it published and it's through a smaller press (as I imagine most phenomenology books are small press, at least since Bernard Stiegler left HarperCollins.--Wow, and ontology joke AND a publishing industry joke in one parenthetical aside...) I can probably provide CIP if the publisher doesn't do that through LC.

Anyway.. enough talking shop! It's a party!

~Mark
    Ship's Navigator, God help us all.

I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group . . . You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them.

~Michael Moore

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...9004/event.png

Quote Originally Posted by aethen View Post
    (as I imagine most phenomenology books are small press, at least since Bernard Stiegler left HarperCollins.--Wow, and ontology joke AND a publishing industry joke in one parenthetical aside...)
    You've just got a million obscure jokes, don't you?
    Story of my life –>

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenFrost View Post
    You've just got a million obscure jokes, don't you?
    believe me you dont know the half of it

Das, I can't tell you how happy I am and thrilled for you. I think it's very exciting news. Believe in yourself Dude!

You have worked so hard and so long on this I know a little how you feel, weak in the knees when your hard earned dream comes true. You're afraid to reach out and touch it because it might disappear like morning mist.

Cut out the crying, puff your chest out and strut a little! Lightening won't strike, I promise! I'm going to copy that little memo you got and whenever you get too modest or worried about your capabilities, I'm going to roar it at you!

When you look around at all the braggarts and poseurs who are all facade and no substance.....well, everyone here knows YOU! You're the real thing, Das.

I will affirm the truth of that statement.
    Last edited by Albtraum; 10-18-2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: glücklich und plump

Oi!

You guys are going to turn me into an arrogant pr*ck if you don't watch out!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasein9 View Post
    Oi!

You guys are going to turn me into an arrogant pr*ck if you don't watch out!
    you mean you're not one already

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    you mean you're not one already
    Hmmm... If I say I am, it shows I'm not. If I say I'm not, it may indicate I am.

So, I stand corrected. The above post should read:

Oi! Y'all're going to make an even bigger arrogant pr*ck of me!