Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boys Don't Cry: what did everyone think?

Boys Don't Cry: what did everyone think?

I've just finished watching the film again and am interested to hear other people's opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lane View Post
    I've just finished watching the film again and am interested to hear other people's opinions.
    I think boys definitely do cry . . . that's why I can't watch that movie again. You're strong, dude.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have the movie, just not watched it yet, I heard it's a real tear jerker and to have lots of tissues ready.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Wants red cocktail dress! nikki_t's Avatar
    It's a fantastic movie and very accurate the to real life story of her life. The only inaccuracy as a far as I know is they missed somebody out at the end. I won't go into detail because I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    I have the movie, just not watched it yet, I heard it's a real tear jerker and to have lots of tissues ready.
    dont forget the pillow to hide behind lol

Seriously! i loved the film, it is full of emotion and truth, not one i can watch at any old time i have to be in the right frame of mind

i highly recommend that EVERYONE whether trans or not should watch it at least once

Exclamation good movie, but way off.

I watched that movie the other night for about the 20th time.. i like depressing stuff.. The film though, isnt actually a true representation of the story. I have watched quite a few documentaries on it, and also read up a lot on it. It just really intrested me from before i came out as trans (strange huh.lol) Anyway, as far as i know there was also another person who was shot and killed that night in the house. The two guys who did the shooting, one of them when arrested grassed up the other guy, and said it was him who did the shooting, he also showed some remorse.. the guy who shot brandon, he is still on death row now, and has showed no remorse, in various interviews done with him he still says he would shoot brandon over again if the situation reoccured.. yet deathrow are still allowing him countless appeals.. and have not yet set a date for his execution. That really really p*sses me off.

this link tells of the real crime scene and the other person who was murdered on site.
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics4/brandon/

As to the actual film, I think its done ok, i mean i think that there is a much bigger picture which they could have explored, but i guess in order to keep the story to a 2 hour feature film there is only so much that they could do. I actually had the pleasure of meeting Chloe Sevingy (lana) in NY when i lived there.. admittedly i was rather drunk at the time, so didnt take as much advantage as i could have.

Brandons mother as far as i know was not happy with the film, as it wasnt a true depiction of Brandon's struggle. A lot of details were missed out or shown incorrectly. The real Lana sued the film company for the way that she was depicted.. as shown in below link.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/boysdontcry.php
    [SIZE="2"]Life is so strange
    When you don't know
    How can you tell
    Where you're going to
    You can't be sure
    Of any situation
    Something can change
    Then you won't know
    You ask yourself
    Where do we go from here
    It seems so all too near
    Just as far beyond as I can see
    I still don't know what this all means to me
    [/SIZE]

smashing pumpkins - Destination Unknown

Good movie. Hilary Swank deserved that Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInnerMan View Post
    this link tells of the real crime scene and the other person who was murdered on site.
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/classics4/brandon/
    Hmmm, the documentary I saw was on the Biography Channel and matched the movie almost exactly. I guess it was wrong. But the missing guy at the end is the inaccuracy I was referring to earlier. I suppose on TV/film they have to embellish some stuff to keep people's interest or make them gasp or cry or whatever.

All in all, I still think it's a truly amazing and touching story and that everyone should see it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki_t View Post
    Hmmm, the documentary I saw was on the Biography Channel and matched the movie almost exactly. I guess it was wrong. But the missing guy at the end is the inaccuracy I was referring to earlier. I suppose on TV/film they have to embellish some stuff to keep people's interest or make them gasp or cry or whatever.

All in all, I still think it's a truly amazing and touching story and that everyone should see it.
    Im not denying that its a good movie, when i first saw it i must have been about 16 maybe, when it was released on DVD in the UK anyhow, and it touched a real part of me.. as i said, at the time i was still happily identifying as a lesbian.. but the film has always made me think.. and it kind of started off my thoughs about being trans, which is probably why as depressing as it is i feel the need to keep watching it.. because its kind of a portal for me..

anyway,
    i know that there are various documentaries etc on Brandon Teena as well, and im sure all are done by different people and information is gathered from different sources, just as any website on the topic will be.. there is only so much truth which can be told before a story becomes somewhat warped.

Im being critical on the film because i really like real life stuff, be it movies, documentaries or books.. and once i have seen or read them i try to explore the subject which has been covered more..

But, i definately think everyone should watch the movie, it may at least help to open some peoples eyes to things which they wouldnt look at before.
    When you don't know
    How can you tell
    Where you're going to
    You can't be sure
    Of any situation
    Something can change
    Then you won't know
    You ask yourself
    Where do we go from here
    It seems so all too near
    [/SIZE]

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/law/0....ap/index.html

infact recently john lotter has again appealed his case. :mad:
    When you don't know
    How can you tell
    Where you're going to
    You can't be sure
    Of any situation
    Something can change
    Then you won't know
    You ask yourself
    Where do we go from here
    It seems so all too near
    [/SIZE]

i watch the documentary on this case . and after i found out about Brandon's friends met the same fate as him ... i would like to see it but i would cry through the movie

if you don't know the case then i won't add the fate of the others
    Last edited by MJ; 10-31-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: removed info
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I couldn't finish it.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

and what hurts the most is ...but by the grace of god there go i .. it was because of Brandon's story i am nervous around guys ...except for you lot that is hugs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    and what hurts the most is ...but by the grace of god there go i .. it was because of Brandon's story i am nervous around guys
    Uh-huh. People, especially men, with strong Southern accents make me nervous if I'm out and not sure if I'm passing.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

I haven't seen it. But I know what happens and how it ends and I'm just not sure if I want to put myself though watching something so depressing.
    Story of my life –>

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Boy View Post
    so as soon as this guy found out he had been (in his opinion) tricked and made a fool, he snapped
    I think that's the key right there! It was the trickery that humiliated him. It would be the same if some tough biker dude came on to a MTF in a bar without realizing it and ended up being humiliated by his buddies.

Either way you chop and dice it, the movie is a "must watch" movie in my opinion.

It's a great movie, very well acted by Swank. I don't cry often with movies but this one really hurted. The story isn't excactly the way it went, but I'm sure everybody gets the point.
    ~Deron~

It's a very well done movie. Even though like most have said it isn't 100% accurate when telling the life story of Brandon but, I don't know that many films that are.
    It is however, a great film for all to watch in terms of educating the public. It wasn't until I watched this film for the first time years ago that I was able to put a name to being trans myself. It's also great in letting others know what it's like to live as an ftm.
    Not meaning to sound rude but, I wish more of the mtf's that come over here and complain about us having it easy would take the time to watch the film. It would sure make explaining a great deal better for us.
    Vampires are real, just not how you picture them to be.

It's one of my most fav films I cry every time xx Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

I haven't had the courage to watch it yet, though my boyfriend keeps bugging me to. :/

I admit I have cried when watching some movies (not ashamed by it). I haven't seen "Boys don't cry", but after reading the posts here I ordered it just now.

I haven't seen it yet, and after all the posts on this thread, I'm afraid to! I cry too easily. I sobbed heavily when Barbara Walters interviewed that little boy living as a girl!
    Just Be Yourself

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you like oldies radio, check out http://www.thehop-radio.com and hear me LIVE ! Play lots of free games or join our shoutbox chat while you listen too!

I cried like a baby.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xTwo_Of_Heartsx View Post
    I cried like a baby.
    ohhh we gotta new boy YAY!!! (go do an intro dude, so everyone can say hi, but hey good to have you here)

*composes self* we now return to our regular scheduling
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 11-12-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Done

And thanks for the welcome, duder =)