View Poll Results: MTF - FTM ONLY - Are you a leftie/dyslexic?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • Left-handed

101 37.00%
  • Right-handed

139 50.92%
  • Ambidextrous

35 12.82%
  • Strongly dyslexic

4 1.47%
  • Mildly dyslexic

23 8.42%
  • Not dyslexic

86 31.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MTF - FTM ONLY!! Left-handers

I'm completely left-handed!
    GO RED SOX!!!

Suzie

I write with my left hand, but do almost everything else with my right hand, so I suppose I'm slightly ambitextrous.

It has been suggested, I think, that there may be some sort of link between the relative lengths of your fingers and your "preferences". This had me worried for a while!

Chris

I am left handed. Mainly just to writing. I throw a ball, shoot a handgun, eat and so on right handed. Although I cant throw a ball or write left handed but everything else I can do with either hand.
    I am in love with the most understanding GG and my biggest fan. Jennifer, I love you!

i guess i'm right handed under the usual ways of classification. however, i have a lifelong affair with my piano ( it throws me admonishing looks if i haven't played it for a couple of days ), and obviously both hands are required to have an equal standard of dexterity. Used to get all confused over the left brain, right brain thing and which was dominant. No conclusions reached.

my voice is left handed by the way.

Intolerant of intolerance Blonde's Avatar
    Hmmm, well I am right handed in most things except in Hockey and Golf (left handed in those). Baseball I throw right handed, but I am a switch hitter (imagine that) at bat.

I am not dyslexic
    I am intolerant of those who are intolerant

I was a leftie until my step-dad made me use my right hand at age 6 or 7.
    I'm ambidextrious now, in boxing, martial arts, all of that pays off.
    I don't write well with the left but otherwise completely...

So I was left but forced right...
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Right handed by nature, but I have in recent years made a concious effort to try and "Major" with the left (ever tried brushing your teeth with a manual brush using your less prefered hand....its hard!), Co-incidental, probably, I have acknowledged my femme side (to myself) more in these same years.....
    It makes me half seriously wonder if male self is right handed, "Judith" left handed. As it is I now reckon I am fairly ambidextrous....and consider myself mentally androgenous to boot! Maybe Marla had a point....
    "Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.”
    Epictetus (Greek Stoic philosopher) [SIZE="2"](who I'd never heard of either until I stumbled on the quote in "How to walk in high heels" by Camilla Morton )[/SIZE]

I am left-handed, as is most of my immediate family. I'm not dyslexic, but was recently diagnosed with ADD. I really don't think there is any correlation myself, or the doctor's would have found it by now.

I'm right handed, but strongly dyslexic. I don't really see much connection between that and being TG, because I don't see what a reading disorder has to do with gender dysphoria, but that's just me.
    Story of my life –>

To get a true answer, you would have to ask people which hand they use to wipe themselves.
    If they answer "left" or "right," you could then reply, "You mean you don't use toilet paper??"

But to help your poll, I am ambidextrous depending on what I'm doing: most sports-righty; writing-lefty; eating (fork-left; knife-right, except butter knife-left).

There are some things that I am only lefty en-femme, like putting on mascara or lipstick. While en-mano, I don't use either hand.

Hope this helps,

Jacqui

P.S. I ma also ton dyslepsic.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 11-17-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: to answer rest of question

Ambi

Ambidexterous, for some normally right handed tasks I always use my left hand...for example my PC mouse is to the left of my keyboard. Forced to write with right hand at school....never got the hang of joined-up handwriting...honestly ! Thank god for keyboards, I can touch type quite well.

Right and not Dyslexic

Quote Originally Posted by ChanDelle View Post
    A number of years ago I took a left brain / right brain test and it said I was exactly in the middle. Is that no brained?

ChanDelle
    ChanDelle,

Only if you are blond! (just joking). I hope all the blonds don't get mad at me on this!

I'm right handed and I had to teach myself to eat left handed. Why? Just because I hated switching hands while cutting and eating meat.

I'm an OK sleller, but not a good spell checker.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Fishers by Indianapolis switcheralso's Avatar

The Study

In 1998, a study suggested that approximately 7 to 10 percent of the adult population was left-handed. Studies indicate that left-handedness is more common in males than females.

Testosterone: Exposure to higher rates of testosterone before birth can lead to a left-handed child. That must be my desire to be a girl a low exposure to testosterone.
    True
    Friendship

“A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway”
    Fr. Jerome Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Ambidexterous, for some normally right handed tasks I always use my left hand...for example my PC mouse is to the left of my keyboard. Forced to write with right hand at school....never got the hang of joined-up handwriting...honestly ! Thank god for keyboards, I can touch type quite well.
    are you saying you print words instead of writing them? I never was able to master cursive writing. to this day i print anything. as a leftie with cursive writing i always smeared my writing because my fingers trailed into what i already wrote.
    Last edited by lynn27; 11-18-2007 at 09:24 AM.

thank goodness the old days are gone when to be a leftie was the work of the devil (sinister?) my dad was made to change and it caused him a lot of psychological damage

mitch

MTF - FTM ONLY!! Left-handers

Right handed, not dyslexic (if I have spelt it correctly) Mostly write in block caps as joined up writing looks untidy. I blame the primary school as at secondry school they said they could always recognise pupils from that school by their poor writing standards. Never mind, I survived 45 years in the job market after school finished. how's this, right handed but can't write. :-)

susan

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my question. It seems that the proportion of dyslexics amongst us is not significantly greater than the background population (5-9%), but of those who responded to the left-handed question a third identified as left-handed; which, with the hefty number of ambidexters, means that only just over half are right-handers. In the background population only about 10% are left-handed, as far as I can see, and to the naked eye that would suggest a significant correlation (I can't do the stats).

Unfortunately, I skewed the test by putting "left-handers" in the subject line, which will mean that more left-handers replied, probably. So that makes it pretty useless as a statistic - sorry! But it's interesting - at least to me...

Kisses,

Lucy

I'm strongly right-handed (as well as not dislexic) and strongly MTF CD.

However in sport (long jump, high jump for example), my best leg was the right one, not the left one as it is common for right-handed people.

Kisses

From begning iam left handed ... writing , playing cricket and most of handed task with left

Quote Originally Posted by lynn27 View Post
    are you saying you print words instead of writing them? I never was able to master cursive writing. to this day i print anything. as a leftie with cursive writing i always smeared my writing because my fingers trailed into what i already wrote.
    Yes, I print script. Reasonably legible now but odd for an adult...more like a the work of a neat seven year old. At school I spent hours being scolded by teachers, downgraded in all subjects because of "careless writing" and was made to write stuff over and over as punishment for my bad writing...they seemed to think I was doing it deliberately. It was after I left school that I discovered that I could produce legible script by printing.

i print everything but my signature. when i was in school they marked me down for sloppy work too. almost didn't make it out of mechanical drawing [drafting] class, lot of grief, used to smear my lettering real bad. funny that i ended up working as a drafter for several years, where quality printing was very important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Yes, I print script. Reasonably legible now but odd for an adult...more like a the work of a neat seven year old. At school I spent hours being scolded by teachers, downgraded in all subjects because of "careless writing" and was made to write stuff over and over as punishment for my bad writing...they seemed to think I was doing it deliberately. It was after I left school that I discovered that I could produce legible script by printing.

Aspiring Member Cindi Ann Kelly's Avatar
    I'm left handed.

cindi ann

Short Skirts & Long Legs
    There is one thing for sure about us south paws...

...We're in our right mind

i'm leftie too, but do a lot of things with right hand, especially with sports.
    but i realise my right is still not my stronger hand, thats why i dislocated the right shoulder many times.

it sure looks like there is a disportionate amount of lefties. i wonder too.