Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A unique problem

A unique problem

Ok. I'm not even sure how to present this. I have a rather unique potential problem. I'll start with a little background, very briefly. In my 20's I spent quite a bit of time trying to be a "rock star" playing in bands in Los Angeles trying to get a record deal. (I sometimes wonder if my glam band days had much to do with my dressing)

Eventually I gave up. The nice thing about that was that I could dress without worrying too much about it. If I wasn't going to be famous then who cares what I do in my spare time, right?

So after 15 years or so of getting more and more into my dressing I have a fateful conversation with a friend who had still been pursuing his dream, but was about to give up. I told him he couldn't...his songs were just too good, so he asked if I would play in the band if he started it up. Well... I did.

Now things are beginning to look as though something might happen. He signed a production deal and we have recorded his debut album. If it gets picked up by a record company it could very well get national airplay and a tour is not out of the question.

So I ask...what have I gotten myself into? If his music sells and he becomes well known, what happens if it gets out that one of his band members is a crossdresser? Part of me wants to back out so that he is never subjected to that, but the bigger part of me wants to find out if the reality is as good as the dream. Any advice would be helpful.

Shannon
    Shannon

Shannon, you only know if you can be outed or not. If it is possible, then the question probably is what is your relation with your friend, do you think you owe him some honesty?
    Kisses
    Carla

your not the only on who crossdress, there are tons of bands where there are more than just one person in the band playing is a crossdresser and are well know so it dosent matter. your not the only one.
    MISTY

Honesty is the best policy! If you have been instrumental in his success he will want to keep you around. It is not uncommon for band members to crossdress, so make sure you have some good points to make and sit down with him. You may be surprised, he may already know or have at least an inkling...You never know. Musicians are very sensitive usually and in my past experiences they are very compassionate and understanding people, this is what makes them good at what they do!

In fact, thinking about it, if I were in your shoes I would write something that tells your story. Who you are, why you do it, what you want out of it and where this will leave him. Sometimes it is just so much easier to get all your point and information out in writing. Just be there to talk about it with him and work things out.
    It may be a long night but I think that you will be so much better off in the long run.

But this is just my 2d perspective as I don't know the two of you and have all the info at hand.

Good luck!

Everybody knows that musicians are all weirdos and drug addicts. So being a crossdresser should be no big deal.
    Seriously if you do get outed I doubt it would be a big issue, assuming you're not playing some kind of christian music.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

HI SHANNON. JUST GO GIRL. persue your dreams. you are who you are in your heart. your TRUE friends will always be there. HUGS KELLYANN

let's see. David Bowie, Elton John... you are in good company.

How many famous musicians do you know who dress in suits and ties?

Hmmm. Don't you get to wear makeup on stage or in front of a camera.

Seriously, let your friends know so that they are not blindsided. After that let your personality live. Your music does not come from your instrument. It should come from you soul.
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Go for you dream hun
    Angie

I agree with Carin and Angie my friend. Live your dream, you have so much to give.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I,m old so i remember the band Alice Cooper who crossdressed on stage .If your friend makes it you included i don,t think the fact you wear a dress will hurt plus your friend seems to be cool with it. justabit

Cairn is right

There are so many musicians where it never did any harm Freddie Mercury is another example

However I understand your concern but its more accepted in the music business than a lot of other professions

If it does get national airplay then you hae to consider telling the other band members
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    Everybody knows that musicians are all weirdos and drug addicts. So being a cross dresser should be no big deal.
    Seriously if you do get outed I doubt it would be a big issue, assuming you're not playing some kind of Christian music.
    I'm a musician and couldn't imagine compromising my abilities through the use of any mind altering substance. Classical and jazz musicians do not fall into this generalization because of the level of difficulty of their given piece. Online the other night I noted a bass player out of N.Y.C. who headlines nightly and is out of the closet who draws quite an audience. Try running a search on musicians who CD. Andreas Segovia,distinguished?Absolutely. Weirdo, don't think so.My favorite statement by him,{"One must be 50 to play "Chaconne"}.To the point, 60,s and 70,s drug use was common place. Now, "don't give up your day job".

Just my

But who would ever think that a rock start would have some out of the (BLAH) ordinary lifestyle.

You only go this way once, go for it.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Silver Member
    Don't you think you are putting the cart before the horse? I wouldn't be concerned about being outed after becoming rich and famous if I'm not rich and famous yet. Besides which being rich and famous as a rock star means you can be kind of wild and eccentric---nobody is really going to care if you cd in that type of venue. After all it's not like you are running for President.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    What is the style of music? Maybe it could be appropriate, and even if not really, the publicity if you were outed part way through could actually help!

I thought art was about self-expression...
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

I'm in a few bands that tour and I've had no problems yet. *knock on wood*

Its not like you're going to be wearing a dress on stage.

Unless you want to...

xoxo
    Ally

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    If as a minister I survived an outting I'm sure you can as a musician....of course like someone else pointed out "as long as it isn't Christian music".

Are you sure your friend doesn't have some dark secret YOU don't know about???? GIGGLE GIGGLE.

Emily Ann
    Living with a heel in each world.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Perhaps you could suggest openly crossdressing for your band. It would be something that would cause your band to stick it out, and be noticed more. That way you don't have to worry about the consequences of being outted. Bands such as Poison, Twisted Sister were able to pull it off.

Hi,

I'm a musician too. I used to play in a jazz group. I like to sing and improvise in scat. I would love to sing while "en femme"... I'm almost as plump as some classic jazz singers... So that's already something...

To answer more directly your question, in the artistic field, talents is what counts most. The fact that you x-dress is probably less important.

We have here in France a singer who is very high on the list and who sometimes gives concerts "en femme"... Nobody complains and that has not hindered his carreer.

Eugenie

so what. look at it this way a new fan base from this site alone.

I toured for several years with a rock and roll show. I was always scared of getting outed and it would reflect on the rest of the group. Never dressed around the others and they didn't have a clue. So one fall we where in the northeast doing a tour and someone suggested getting dressed in costums for the halloween show. Everyone had decided what to wear and they ask me what I was going to wear and I said either a clown or a hooker. They said, sure I bet you would go on stage like that. That was all it took, a challage. so when I came out of the dressing room that night, with 4" heels,black hose, beautiful wig, nakeup and a mini skirt, there mouths dropped open. Had the most fun that night on stage. From then on it was never a fear of dressing or getting caught, cause I was considered the wild one in the group that liked to wear dresses. It was like it was all brought out in the open and they just joked about it once in awhile. In fact they are on the road right now, I didn't go on this trip due to illness in the family. Reba Kay
    Last edited by Reba Kay; 12-28-2007 at 09:22 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't forget about "Boy Goeorge". Everyone knew he was a male, but he sure looked female when he would sing on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    Everybody knows that musicians are all weirdos and drug addicts. So being a crossdresser should be no big deal.
    Seriously if you do get outed I doubt it would be a big issue, assuming you're not playing some kind of christian music.
    Quote Originally Posted by battybattybats View Post
    What is the style of music? Maybe it could be appropriate, and even if not really, the publicity if you were outed part way through could actually help!
    Well, unfortunately the genre is not what it was. No more wild rock band, it is now country music which I think is a bit too conservative for something like this. Up until recently I had never heard of a country artist that dressed, then I saw a group called Old Rugged Crossdressers, but I think it is just a gimick.

And, yes, I probably am putting the cart befor the horse, but I wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't looking like a very real possibility. I doubt that I will be the one who is either rich or famous, this would be more of a hired back-up band situation. But it is very possible that he will be.

Thank you all for your advice, it definitley gives me some perspective. Lot's to chew on.

Shannon
    Shannon

I'm with everyone on this.
    Go for it girlfriend.

Although I was never talented with a musical instrument, I loved listening to all kinds of music. And when I grew up in the late 70's and 80's, I watched videos of bands, such as, KISS, Culture Club Boy George, Alice Cooper, Elton John, Poison, etc, etc, etc. There were men wearing all kinds of makeup, femme clothes, and of course BIG hair.

There are all kinds of strange and unusual things going on in the music world and I'm sure that the people who live and work in the business have seen it all, especially in L.A.
    So, with you being a crossdresser, I don't think you'd get much of a snicker, if that. In my opinon, I think the people will encourage you to express yourself how you want to be.
    Someone mentioned that people do wear makeup on stage, that's even better because you can have your own make up artist to doll you up.
    What a win-win situation that would be.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 12-28-2007 at 10:59 AM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.