Thread: Flying Internationally en-femme

Flying Internationally en-femme

There is a ‘fly on the wall’ type of documentary shown here in Australia called Border Security.

Basically it’s a series concerning the Customs and Immigration issues of passengers arriving into Australian airports. A recent episode caught my eye because a transgender passenger, who had arrived from the Philippines, had been stopped by the Australian Immigration Dept.

We’ve often discussed domestic travelling by air on this forum, but not international travel, so I was interested to see how this person would be treated.

The first thing that was established was that she was stopped because she had several different identification documents which appeared to contradict her travel documents.

First she was asked what named she’d liked to be called by during the interviews (she preferred the name Ronnie) – Although she was listed as ‘male’ on her passport I did note that at no time did they refer to her as ‘he’ or ‘she’, but they used the phrase ‘the passenger’ or ‘Ronnie’. I didn’t think that this was a problem as such, but a display of sensitivity regarding the issues.

I thought she was treated pretty fairly. I don’t think it was because the cameras were there as most officials here in Australia are very reasonable. The final result was the problem was sorted through and she was let into Australia.

If I arrive in Atlanta later this year as Suzy, I wonder if I would be allowed into the US without any problems – as I’d look nothing like my passport photo……

Well i,ve done a fair amount of cross border flying and i don,t think it would be worth the trouble.Customs for the most part are pretty good but if you have a problem with one ie: trainee,having a bad day or whatever they could make it very unpleasant for you.9 times out of 10 no trouble but that 10th time could be a nightmare. justabit

Once coming back into the USA, I had some electronic circuit boards in my travel bag. It took me over an hour to convice the Agent that these boards were made in the USA. They had no markings stating such. Otherwise I would have had to pay a import fee.
    If you have any problems, always remember, be curtious, don't get mad, answer all their questions and usually they will be satified and you will be allowed to go own your way. If you give them any kind of grief, it can snowball into hell.

As a frequent flyer who travels to the US about 6 times a year at least, let me caution you. Homeland Security (who now "run" your entrance into the US) are nothing to be messed with. IF you get a sympathetic official, you may have no problem, but the whole one identity/two personas scenario may get you in loads of trouble. Why not email them and ask? Also, email the US embassy in your country and ask. Then bring the answers with you.
    Pet peeve: not be able to put on my girl clothes!

Actually I'm not sure if flying to the US whilst enfemme is viable due to the length of the flight - as half way across I'd need to lock myself in the lavvy for a few hours to take off my make up, shave and put it all back on again!.

Knowing my luck the plane would get hijacked and taken to a Muslim country! - I wonder what I'd look like in one of those black berker things.
    Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 01-04-2008 at 10:29 PM.